Snell MTB-X Golf Balls

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
New Golf Balls from Snell called MTB-X. MTB Red is going away and the two balls Snell will be offering will be the Black and the X. The new tiered pricing is in play now as well, with a dozen starting at $32.99.

From Snell
For golfers looking for a high-performance golf ball, the MTB-X is our latest 3 piece design offering:

Superior Distance - new smaller core offers low driver spin & faster speeds.

Higher Iron Spin - a thicker, firmer mantle layer for increased mid and short iron approach shots.

Refined Aerodynamics - low lift, low drag for controlled ball flight to reduce "ballooning" and offer great performance in the wind.

Firmer Feel - firmer, thicker mantle layer provides high spin and firmer feel than our MTB Black model. (85-90 Compression Range)

Excellent Short Game Performance - MTB-X features our CAST urethane cover for excellent control, feel, & durability.

MTB-X_white_1024x1024_f7634636-e0a5-4503-9c7b-4d96dea3d634_2000x.jpg

mtb-x_white_Ball_1024x1024_1c4535a7-725a-4665-ba99-4a2a3e38a5b3_2000x.jpg

MTB-X_yellow_1024x1024_4f0272c4-84f7-43b5-8b9f-625b581b6b41_2000x.jpg

Last edited:
Every Snell release has been solid, and I expect this one to maintain that tradition.

In comparison to the Black, is this designed to fly lower, or are those comments more of a "what we have improved upon the Red"?

• Admin
Every Snell release has been solid, and I expect this one to maintain that tradition.

In comparison to the Black, is this designed to fly lower, or are those comments more of a "what we have improved upon the Red"?

The Red was a confusing release for some, so if viewing the two, I think X will be like it is for most companies. It appears most have two premium balls (or more) with X being the firmer of the two.

The Red was a confusing release for some, so if viewing the two, I think X will be like it is for most companies. It appears most have two premium balls (or more) with X being the firmer of the two.

Thanks JB. I like the higher iron spin part of it, traditionally being on the lower end of that spectrum. Recently played a couple of Blacks and they were fine in that regard. Maybe these will help more on less receptive greens.

Just got into their page and saw the Black will be offered in yellow.

And like that, the Red vanishes. Hmm.

That said, looks like the cover on the X looks better than the Red did, I know their product photos but the read looked extremely glossy/plasticky in hand and for me was a turnoff.

This def looks in line with the ‘x’ offerings of other companies which is a good thing.

I will definitely end up hitting them.

If it’s like most companies X models it’s probably not something I’d play, but I like the ease of identifying which ball is which, X seems to be more standardized and makes it easy for the consumer. No doubt this will be a great ball, Snell is one of my top two favorite balls.

Great question, I think the Black was always better for me.

Thanks, this makes a lot of sense, I will probably grab a dozen, but as above I think the black fits me better.

• Admin
And like that, the Red vanishes. Hmm.

That said, looks like the cover on the X looks better than the Red did, I know their product photos but the read looked extremely glossy/plasticky in hand and for me was a turnoff.

This def looks in line with the ‘x’ offerings of other companies which is a good thing.

I will definitely end up hitting them.

The Red was not cast urethane, so that is one part of it. Looking through THP data, the Red was not nearly as well received. The Black started off strong, but dropped off a bit. Going with the X makes sense from a marketing stand point for sure. 3 piece with thicker mantle does what a lot of companies have gone too, which is going firmer as the ball moves towards the cover. Helps keep spin up on irons and reduce it on driver. I believe Callaway did that with the "dual core" tech and has been joined by Srixon (Gradual Gradient) and others.

Im interested in the price increase, I dont think I am crazy that these were $31.99 a dozen and now $32.99 with the same ball staying in line.

The Red was not cast urethane, so that is one part of it. Looking through THP data, the Red was not nearly as well received. The Black started off strong, but dropped off a bit. Going with the X makes sense from a marketing stand point for sure. 3 piece with thicker mantle does what a lot of companies have gone too, which is going firmer as the ball moves towards the cover. Helps keep spin up on irons and reduce it on driver. I believe Callaway did that with the "dual core" tech and has been joined by Srixon (Gradual Gradient) and others.

Im interested in the price increase, I dont think I am crazy that these were $31.99 a dozen and now $32.99 with the same ball staying in line.

Almost feels like one of those increases done just to the amount of hoping no one notices IMO.

Probably a little firm for my liking and needs, but still would love to try them. Was not a fan of the Red for my game, but do really like the Black.

The Black works well for me and I prefer a yellow ball so I'm happy that these will now come in yellow. Price wise, I always buy at least 2 dozen and with the new tier pricing, they will be $30.99 so no problem there.

I never hit the Red. I have played the Black and been quite happy with it. I will wait to see if I can to try the X based on what I read from reviews here.

You aren't crazy, last year when THP reviewed MTB Black, it was 31.99.

I kind of thought the red would be a ball I would like, but I'll be honest, I never even tried it. MTB Black was good. I'm wondering if this will have that noticable firmer feel/sound.

Anyway good move for them moving to the X name. Its been a model that consumers are well used to seeing.

I was not a fan of the red. I bought a dozen and after one round, I switched back to the black. The X is a good move to clear up confusion between Snell’s 2 premium balls.

I liked the Red when I played it a few times last year but from a marketing standpoint it makes more sense to go to the X. Still a great price for what I'm sure is a great ball.

I never tried the black or red, but I ended up being a big fan of the original MTB. I might have to give the X a shot. Naming convention seems more sensible this time around.

Makes a lot of sense to move from red to the X. That's the one that I feel is probably the best for me on paper. The price increase isn't crazy large (since it's still cheaper than some non-urethane cover balls in the market) and there will still be volume discounts.

I’m sure this will be great for those who like the Snell golf balls, but my experience wasn’t as successful. Curious to see what people think that are fans of the previous offerings.

The Red was a great ball, but it seemed everyone encountered one little thing or another that pushed them to the Black. It's pretty cool to look at the arc of the MTB line so far. Feedback on original is looking for something with a little extra spin => Dean creates Red. People don't quite get along with the Red, so that ball is re-worked and becomes the X. Also, because internet golfers always seem to mix up the Red and Black, he moves to the naming convention of everyone else (despite TP5 being opposite and lots of people thinking PV1x is less spinning than the V, but oh well).

As for the dollar increase, it probably coincided with Snell going to 2-day shipping for all orders of 4 dozen or fewer. I don't have any issue with that, considering the long ship time was the only downside of Snell previously.

I thought the Red robbed me of some distance and came off a little too high off irons, and I'm a golfer for which the Red wa marketed. It needed refinement. I had good spin with it around the greens, but for distance and spin, I told them the Chrome Soft was preferable.

I thought the Red robbed me of some distance and came off a little too high off irons, and I'm a golfer for which the Red wa marketed. It needed refinement. I had good spin with it around the greens, but for distance and spin, I told them the Chrome Soft was preferable.

Same experience here. Off wedges it was always a good 5 or more yds shorter than the CS was for me.

I tried the Red but noticed some distance lost and ballooning. Black has been consistent so I'll probably try the X version.

I never connected with Snell, for whatever reason.

The departure of Red seems like an interesting move. Something wrong with taht ball?

I've loved the Snell Black from its inception. And if this ball is to be along the same lines as other OEM's "X" lineup, I will definitely be giving it a go.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I never connected with Snell, for whatever reason.

The departure of Red seems like an interesting move. Something wrong with taht ball?

based on an interview with Dean I just watched he said the reason for the change was based on feedback on the red
1. Spin on approach shots was too much (especially with wind)
2. Driver distance was too short.

New ball addresses both of those issues

Same interview also had testing vs the ProV1 (2019 version) and Snell at 115 mph actually beat the ProV1 in ball speed and distance, and then in slower swing speeds it was right there with the ProV1 and a hell of a lot cheaper.
Testing was done at 115, 100 and 85 mph driver speeds, and included Driver, 7I and wedge

Back