Cobra KING MIM Wedges

I guess it must be the chrome and hosel length. But the chrome really looks much bigger behind the ball
0f0e73435dbec4eeca7b854b93198ecb.jpg

So I went to Cobra demo event on Thursday. Got to hit the new line of products. The one that stood out to me the most were the wedges. All of them to be honest. This MIM wedge does look fantastic in person. The milling on the face is pretty damn cool. Felt amazing. The rep had it a particular wedge bent 2 degrees flat and didn’t realize how amazing that was for my game. Hard ponder on these!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The budget golf discount works for these..

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I guess it must be the chrome and hosel length. But the chrome really looks much bigger behind the ball
0f0e73435dbec4eeca7b854b93198ecb.jpg
Agreed Mark.. When I put them behind the ball the MIM appears larger.. The black finish is certainly slimming!!

Just spun up the gc2 to get some numbers.

They spin a fair amount.

56* I saw 11500-12250ish with most hovering just a bit below 12000.

Have them with the hi rev 2.0.

I had my first round with the MIM wedges in the bag and they are going to stay for quite a while. The course has really quick greens with lots of curves and I was able to throw high spinning chips that hit near the flag and held. The one pictured was on a side-hill below the flag and the ball almost went in and finished inside 2 feet for a tap-in. They performed equally as well on pitches and full shots.
d6664fc753fa0588f89d12c716b9c8bb.jpg

Last edited:
I really think I am going to need to drop one of these in the bag for a round or two.

I want it to stop raining so I can finnaly play with mine.
Off my carpet, these spin nicely & grab, going down the hallway

I just realized that I forgot to provide an update on the swing weight difference between the MIM wedges and the King black wedges. As a reminder, I felt the MIM wedges were heavier and that I could feel the headweight more. I perfectly proved @JB's point that most of us cannot detect minor differences in swing weight as the MIM wedges were 1 swing point lighter than the King black wedges. Maybe the difference I'm feeling is the shaft difference between the two.. Or maybe once again I'm proving that I'm a headcase!!

Just put the MIM into the bag permanently. Never understood the term versatile grind, but whatever it is it works beautifully with my chips and swing. Love the milling on the face and I think it contributes to the spin that I get. Really like the club!!

Played my 54 and 60 today after coming from the 56 and 60 in the black one lengths. Both sets were versatile bottoms.

It's not a cavity back blade but it feels so much more solid and...thick over the black wedges. I had tried some cbx wedges as well and I would say these fit somewhere in the middle of the cbx and the black OL wedges.

I am still learning the game, but I just felt like Seve out there.

Wanted to share this shot from my weekend round. After taking too much off my 9 iron I opened my 58 degree MIM wedge and hit a pitch that lipped out for a tap in par. I also had a couple sand shots that came out soft. I am still getting great spin with these on short shots around the green.

Screenshot_20190819-211152.jpg

With one in the bag, I am looking at a 56*. These just have a nice feel when hit. Don't know if it's because of the process or design but whatever it works.

This was a shorter par 5 from my last round. After pulling my drive to the left and having a lie that was sitting down in the rough and waist high on a side hill I proceeded to chunk it forward to a similar lie then finally advance it to the fairway. From there I hit one of my best shots of the day with a 3/4 swing with my 58 degree MIM wedge leaving a tap-in par. I also had several sand shots and didn't leave a single one in the bunker. These wedges continue to perform and will be in the bag for a long time!! Screenshot_20190927-175655.jpg

I have a feeling these will be in a lot of bags at the Morgan Cup and rightfully so. My scoring has improved over my last several rounds and that has a lot to do with my short game. I'm playing MIM wedges in 54 and 58 degrees. Arccos rates me as a 1.5 handicap in chipping and a 10.1 handicap from the sand. I cannot remember the last bunker that I failed to get out of. Now my goal isn't just to get out but to hit it close from the bunker. In my round I was in two bunkers and hit one that lipped out and another that finished inside 3 feet. I also had a chip-in during the round. I have been very happy with these as I can play chips that roll out or higher chips that hit and stop. They produce plenty of spin and are softer than the king black wedges which I like (personal preference). They've also held up well and I will try to get pictures up reflecting that.

I have a feeling these will be in a lot of bags at the Morgan Cup and rightfully so. My scoring has improved over my last several rounds and that has a lot to do with my short game. I'm playing MIM wedges in 54 and 58 degrees. Arccos rates me as a 1.5 handicap in chipping and a 10.1 handicap from the sand. I cannot remember the last bunker that I failed to get out of. Now my goal isn't just to get out but to hit it close from the bunker. In my round I was in two bunkers and hit one that lipped out and another that finished inside 3 feet. I also had a chip-in during the round. I have been very happy with these as I can play chips that roll out or higher chips that hit and stop. They produce plenty of spin and are softer than the king black wedges which I like (personal preference). They've also held up well and I will try to get pictures up reflecting that.

For you which is better - King Black or these?

How do you like the grind differences?

For you which is better - King Black or these?

How do you like the grind differences?
For personal preference I prefer a softer feeling wedge so feel wise the MIM wedges win for me. I also seemed to generate more spin (a few hundred rpms) on the launch monitor and also noticeable when hitting short shots and chips side by side with them. The MIM wedges were only available in versatile grind when I ordered and that's the same that I had my king black wedges in. I really like the versatile grind as I manipulate my wedges when chipping and hitting short shots and they are similar to what I've played in the past. I would like to try one in a widelow grind as I tried one at the MC and really liked the concept and want to experiment further to see if it would work better for me.

For personal preference I prefer a softer feeling wedge so feel wise the MIM wedges win for me. I also seemed to generate more spin (a few hundred rpms) on the launch monitor and also noticeable when hitting short shots and chips side by side with them. The MIM wedges were only available in versatile grind when I ordered and that's the same that I had my king black wedges in. I really like the versatile grind as I manipulate my wedges when chipping and hitting short shots and they are similar to what I've played in the past. I would like to try one in a widelow grind as I tried one at the MC and really liked the concept and want to experiment further to see if it would work better for me.
Thanks for this. I was wondering about MIM vs the black as well. I too prefer the softer wedge feel, so it seems like the MIM might be in the lead.

My wedges are still one of my strongest part of my bag according to Arccos. From my last round I hit several partial wedges that turned out really well. (I've been working on this at range sessions). This was a 5 wood off the tee for position, a 7 wood that I pushed into the trees on the right, then a great wedge shot over the flag. Screenshot_20200120-234954.jpg

And the final piece of the puzzle, 50, 56 and 60s in standard length Hi-Rev 2.0 stiff shafts.

Went back and forth between the set GW and the 50 so decided to mix it up and go with a 3 wedge set. I use my GW/50 as mainly a full swing club and the 50 just felt so good off the face it was a no brainer for me..

115EDBC8-5152-4BDC-B218-66AF4158E9F0.jpeg02CC0A31-DCA6-4D0D-B4D6-55EE7E3A32E0.jpegBC48E256-8AA1-4369-B030-21116E0E0868.jpeg

looking good!

And the final piece of the puzzle, 50, 56 and 60s in standard length Hi-Rev 2.0 stiff shafts.

Went back and forth between the set GW and the 50 so decided to mix it up and go with a 3 wedge set. I use my GW/50 as mainly a full swing club and the 50 just felt so good off the face it was a no brainer for me..

View attachment 8932047View attachment 8932048View attachment 8932049
Man I just love the look of these, and how the King logo blends so well with the new King Forged Tec irons as a set. So sharp looking.

View attachment 8932047View attachment 8932048View attachment 8932049
I can't wait to hear what you think of these when you get them on the course. They have been really good to me!!

I can't wait to hear what you think of these when you get them on the course. They have been really good to me!!
Hopefully going to get them down to the practice greens tonight and give them a hit. Time to dial in those partial distances.

Man I just love the look of these, and how the King logo blends so well with the new King Forged Tec irons as a set. So sharp looking.
Actually just got up to say good morning to them 😂

Back