PING G410 Hybrid - THP Review

Jman

Golf Scrivener
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Been a touch behind with the goings on in the Miles household lately, but, this exciting release from PING is indeed also into the Oklahoma THP outpost for a full homepage review.

While the buzz on the G410 drivers has been a mixed bag, the hybrids have been constantly praised since their release across the internet and I know a lot of THP'ers have been singing their praises here on the forum as well. Hopefully they will all jump into this thread as well! More the merrier!

PING has always made a super playable hybrid, so that feedback is no surprise. But the addition of "flat" setting on the new adapter has golfers who don't necessarily try to hit their hybrids like irons clamoring in excitement.

With the G410 we are seeing a slightly bigger footprint, higher resulting MOI, a thinner face, and also a texture on the face to reduce spin. From PING's claims, longer, easier to launch, and more forgiving.

We shall see.

I received the 22.0 4-hybrid (2-6 hybrids are available) paired with the stock PING Alta CB 70 Red in stiff flex which is a 76g "mid" launch shaft according to PING.

Information from PING:

Our first-ever adjustable hybrid allows you to customize your ball flight eight different ways through more loft (+- 1.5˚) and lie combinations for consistently better results. Thinner and more flexible, the maraging-steel face generates faster ball speeds and higher launch so you carry trouble while hitting (and holding) more greens. A larger profile provides added stability and helps elevate MOI heel to toe.

Larger Profile - A larger head provides added stability and helps elevate MOI 6.5%. The shaping can help you align the face confidently at your target, and the re-shaped crown turbulators frame the ball.

Customize Your Ball Flight - Trajectory Tuning 2.0 utilizes a patented, lightweight aerodynamic hosel sleeve that you adjust to influence ball flight while ensuring proper gapping. Eight positions enable you to fine-tune trajectories through loft (±1.5°) and lie adjustments, including up to 3° flatter than standard.

High MOI, Fast Face - A deeper, high-density tungsten back weight creates extreme perimeter weighting to maximize forgiveness in the larger-profile head. The strength and flexibility of a thin, maraging-steel face attached to the 17-4 stainless steel head increases ball speed for added distance.

Reduced Spin - The face is textured to reduce spin, and the painted grooves help frame the ball at address.

In-Hand Images:

DSC00236-XL.jpg

DSC00239-XL.jpg

DSC00240-XL.jpg

DSC00241-XL.jpg

DSC00244-XL.jpg

DSC00245-XL.jpg

DSC00242-XL.jpg

I'm excited to hear more about this one. It's the only other hybrid released this year that really intrigues me. I could see myself gaming a 4 and 5.

• Staff
I'm excited to hear more about this one. It's the only other hybrid released this year that really intrigues me. I could see myself gaming a 4 and 5.

I’m pretty eager to get it out and get after it. I delayed trying it out until I got the pics right, but now, it’s go time.

Do like the fact Ping brought adjustability to their hybrids. Anything to help fitters and golfers dial things in.

I also would be curious if there was every a study on the psychological benefits of having the flatter setting be standard with an upright draw option vs the upright draw option being standard and then having a flat setting.

I'd like to know of any shot shape bias. The shape of the head, the positioning of the face lines encouraging a heelside strike, the "flat" option - all that makes me think this is a hybrid for people who are afraid of hooking hybrids

• Staff
Thanks guys! I’m hoping to get out and finally put this one to work this afternoon, it’s a bit bigger than I typically like, but not crazy.

I’ll get some side by sides with a couple other hybrids later today.

• Staff
Hit a few today as I snuck out to work with one of my HS kiddos for a bit.

Super easy to launch, super easy.

I didn’t see any crazy draw bias to it either.

Been a minute since I’ve played a hybo instead of an iron in that spot so it took a few swings to really trust it. Hopefully more swings tomorrow afternoon!

If you have q’s, post away!

Mr. @Jman,

I got out today to hit the G410 fairway and besides the easy launch, the one thing that I fell for was the sound. I'll have more of that to come, even shot a quick video to see if the sound comes through that way too, but man it was so damn good. How do you like the sound of this one?

Sincerely,

That ddec of THP guy.

Nice review, James. I have one inbound and can't wait to get that portion of my bag dialed. Do you plan to try any other shafts?

I have been able to game my 2 clubs a couple of times now and I am really liking the ball flight and as has already been noted, the sound when you hit them just right.

Compared against the i25 19* hybrid that has been in the bag for the last few years, the G410 is a lot bigger than I am used too. I never had any real reason to upgrade the i25, it did the job it was asked to do but this new G410 is in another league. It is definitely longer (although how much I am yet to determine) and straighter.

So far I can see these being the easy hitting, confidence inspiring clubs I hoped they would be.

Mr. @Jman,

I got out today to hit the G410 fairway and besides the easy launch, the one thing that I fell for was the sound. I'll have more of that to come, even shot a quick video to see if the sound comes through that way too, but man it was so damn good. How do you like the sound of this one?

Sincerely,

That ddec of THP guy.

It’s good. Quite good.

I’m still trying to decide how to describe it though....

Nice review, James. I have one inbound and can't wait to get that portion of my bag dialed. Do you plan to try any other shafts?

Sorry bogie, missed replying to this.

I won’t be trying any other shafts right now, just the stock setup.

It’s interesting, because for whatever reason the Alta shafts have always worked decently well with me. Hoping for a long session with this one today though to see just how it holds up when I really try to get after it.

Sorry bogie, missed replying to this.

I won’t be trying any other shafts right now, just the stock setup.

It’s interesting, because for whatever reason the Alta shafts have always worked decently well with me. Hoping for a long session with this one today though to see just how it holds up when I really try to get after it.

I will have a 22 deg with the Tensei Blue in a strong enough flex for you to unload on in Opelika.

Man, the sound/feel of this one is addicting as sin. Its not a solid/dead crack, but there is some density to it that I really like, and was totally taken by surprise about.

Last day out I was LIVING on the heel, so my thoughts are a little more skewed than I would like, but the club kept all of those in play amazingly well, and with ample distance still. To the point that when I looked at the face, I thought I caught a few of them center mass, only to be surprised to see the heel side ball mark.

Having the 22* loft rather than the 19* has been an adjustment for me, but, I do still think its best off the deck vs as a tee club. Not so say it isn't effective off the tee, but the size and shape really seems to lend to shots from the rough and off the fairway as well. Really good balance through the impact zone and even on those aforementioned heel shots, the stability has been there.

Color me impressed.

No curiosity in this one? I know we have some long time PING hybo fans out there...

Great hybrids. Have not hit them outside yet but hit them at Dick's. Great feel, consistency, and distance. Ordered the 2/3 hybrids in the stock Alta stiff. Should be here in two weeks.

No curiosity in this one? I know we have some long time PING hybo fans out there...

Definitely looking forward to hearing more about your experience with this hybrid. Looking to add a hybrid once I figure out my iron gaps.

Im a couple weeks in now with the G410 Hybrid 19 that I was fitted to and have a been to the range probably 8-9 times since I got it. I have been hitting 40-50 balls each time out with this club getting used to it. I have gone back and forth with the 'flat' setting just to get a better sample size and I can say that it really has been good for me. The reason I originally got fit for a new hybrid (or an alternative) was that I had such an unpredictable hook with my old hybrid that I was trusting the club less and less. Have hit a few hundred balls now with it and it is a huge improvement for me with the flat setting. It is amazing the difference it made for me. I can turn it over, but I think the left side is no worries now.

The face feels really solid and I REALLY like the sound. Anyhow, I am once again back on the hybrid train and have the 22 degree arriving tomorrow. I did opt to change out the shaft and put in the Oban Revenge. Flight is really strong. Looking forward to getting it on the course.

Received my 22 degree today with the Tensei 80 TX shaft. Will get this out tomorrow, but this sure looks as good as I hoped!

Tried several hybrids initially the rogue but after initially loving it found it inconsistent and not easy maneuver.
The g 410 is very forgiving and I find very easy to hit and work .
My demo club is a 22 turned down to 20.5 with a stiff c b shaft .
Also tried the regular c b which I felt similar but a little more height .
I am waiting for my ordered 19 degree with a tensei blue reg shaft ,frustratingly told was in stock and would be a matter of days but have now been told is coming from factory and is a three week turnaround < I am in Australia > but is now imminent .
I loved the way it sits and also really like sound/feel .
Puzzled by some reviewers criticizing it for the sound/feel.
Will update when my club arrives

I am waiting for my ordered 19 degree with a tensei blue reg shaft ,frustratingly told was in stock and would be a matter of days but have now been told is coming from factory and is a three week turnaround < I am in Australia > but is now imminent .
I loved the way it sits and also really like sound/feel .
Puzzled by some reviewers criticizing it for the sound/feel.
Will update when my club arrives
I am in Australia too and I was very lucky as I got fitted and ordered the very next week. Mine arrived several days later but I was told that I could have been waiting a month for the next shipment as they had been selling like hotcakes.
I am also puzzled by those criticising the sound as I really like it, especially on well hit shots.

I’m enjoying the great feedback. I had a friend lend me an older g15 20 degeee hybrid last Monday while on the course. I played it the back 9 and another 18 on Wednesday. Hit it both off the tee and off the ground felt good and helped me bridge a gap in distances. I hit it great.

My driver is a G400 so I was either going to give a 400 or 410 a spin.

Little off topic, do y’all pay the “quick” fit $20 at dicks to hit a club or just ask if they have one? The couple times I’ve been in there the worker is always busy to ask. The fitter I used is just 30 minutes away so...

I have to say, the Alta shaft has held up shockingly well for me, and I actually like the CB design plugged into this head.

I know the Alta lines get some heat for their variability, but I’ve had no problem with the S flex holding up for my swing:

Also, it launches. Holy heck it launches. Had a shot on a par 5 where I HAD to elevate it to get it off the front of the green over a BIG old tree and it handled me being aggressive on the down and through really well.

Turf interaction is also under talked about by PING. It’s good.

I totally agree with the turf interaction.

Our first cut rough is so thick and high at the moment due the the amount of rain we have been getting. The ball will sit right down in the roots and a normal iron gets caught up and struggles to pop the ball out with any distance or control. I have had no issue using the 22* as a "rescue" club in these situations, even with a half swing it pops the ball out easier than my old hybrids.

I had my first range session with the G410 hybrid yesterday and all in all, I am liking this club. The setup I went for is a 22 degree head in standard length with the Tensei Blue Ck Pro 80 in TX flex. This shaft feels really good to me and is very stable, which is what I am looking for in a hybrid shaft. I also asked for the club to be D3 swingweight and it appears to be right at a D2.2 weighting, which is close enough for me.

Sound: I found the sound to be very pleasing. There is a nice crack to it and it provides what I consider to be a rewarding feedback.
Feel: I can only describe it as solid and enjoyable.
Flight: This thing elevates easily. If there is one complaint I have it is that the launch may be higher than what I consider optimal for my game, but from what I could tell the ball was flying through the wind fairly unimpeded. There was about a 10-15mph wind quartering into me and I was getting about 220-225 carry. I need 225 out of this spot in my bag and from what I have seen this club is delivering. I will get on a monitor at some point and verify launch, spin, and carry numbers.
Forgiveness: Off center hits seem to be fairly forgiving; however, coming into the ball with a steep angle of attack will pop the ball up and kill the distance. This is not the fault of the club, but just the nature of these modern hybrids that are designed to elevate the ball. I only got steep once and then had a nice session of hitting some really beautiful shots once I stayed back and allowed the club to do the work.

I tried the club in both the standard configuration as well as 1 degree flat and preferred the club set to flat. I think this club is going to be a fun addition to the bag, particularly into par 5s.

Back