Ben Hogan PTx Pro Forged Irons

These irons just continue to shine for me. Hit a couple of short irons today that frankly made me giddy. Hit a 9 iron from 138 uphill and into a slight breeze to a foot and a half then later hit a PW from 130 in the hole for an eagle on a par 4.

I know the feeling. I had an approach to a par 5 from about 175 yards up about 20 feet of slope, and into the wind. Hit a beauty 5-iron that stopped just in the fringe about 10 feet right of the pin. Putted that in from off the green for an eagle. Hit many more absolutely flush. These with the Recoils are just gold.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks to everyone who has added to this thread over the past few months. I rarely purchase anything of value without first doing my due diligence, and this thread had about as much info as anything out there. I made my order, and will add my thoughts on them when they arrive if I believe it adds to the information out there for other potential buyers!

That's awesome, they really are fantastic irons, from the looks to the performance. What shafts did you go with?

At about 20 rounds in with these clubs I can honestly say the only downfall I've seen with them are the grips so far. I love the looks and the feel but the grips just aren't for me. I am coming form the golf pride align grips which I really like and the grips on these are really thin and when it's hot and sweaty my hands slip off of the club. With it being the only option available it makes it tough. But outside of that I can't say enough good things about the irons. I shot my best score of the entire year last round out and a big part of that was the irons which were helping me be in prime scoring positions.

BHG is teasing more DBM finish irons on social this morning. PTx Pro perhaps? 7/23 is touted as the reveal day.

At about 20 rounds in with these clubs I can honestly say the only downfall I've seen with them are the grips so far. I love the looks and the feel but the grips just aren't for me. I am coming form the golf pride align grips which I really like and the grips on these are really thin and when it's hot and sweaty my hands slip off of the club. With it being the only option available it makes it tough. But outside of that I can't say enough good things about the irons. I shot my best score of the entire year last round out and a big part of that was the irons which were helping me be in prime scoring positions.

Yep now that we're in peak heat these grips aren't doing the trick. Think it's time to put some Golf Prides on.

Yep now that we're in peak heat these grips aren't doing the trick. Think it's time to put some Golf Prides on.
Agreed, it's the only knock I have so far on these clubs.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I am not a z5 user either. First thing I did was change the grips.

I wondered if they were a different compound. I had Z5 on my Cleveland and these feel different?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I wondered if they were a different compound. I had Z5 on my Cleveland and these feel different?

The normal Z5 are corded

Yeah not crazy about the grips. Not horrible but probably on the road out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hit them up on social media about it. They said if there was enough interest they would look at offering more grip options

The grips are horrible, I asked them to leave the grips off mine, CP2’s immediately.

I am about to box up my demo irons and send them back after my 2 week trial. I planned to review them as compared to my original PTx but unfortunately the review would mainly be about my dislike of the stock Lamkin grips. From the very first shot I felt the club twist in my hands during the swing. It has been very hot and humid in Houston lately and my hands have been sweaty. My other clubs with CP2 grips work just fine in these conditions but the Hogan grips are slick. I played 2 rounds with them in the bag and hit a few good shots but the slick grips were in my head and I avoided them unless the yardage was perfect.

I look forward to reading further reviews of these irons and apologize for not being able to contribute.

This was my take on the grips about six weeks ago. I could not even demo the clubs properly as they would twist in my hands during the swing.

Grips are a very personal choice and it would be impossible for Hogan to pick a grip that everybody likes but they need to hear feedback whether its good or bad.

BHG is teasing more DBM finish irons on social this morning. PTx Pro perhaps? 7/23 is touted as the reveal day.

Just watched the teaser. Seems likely.

I haven't been striking the ball well lately, so the clubs haven't been doing much for me. Last weekend I couldn't hit anything flush, last night I couldn't hit anything straight. My swing is all out of whack right now, I'm probably going to get a quick lesson next week if I don't straighten it out myself this weekend.

That said, I did hit a beauty of a shot from about 160 with my 7 iron last night. I won't comment on what I scored on the hole, but this shot was nice.

zjVa4pH.jpg

I ordered irons (as well as woods and wedges) ungripped with the grips just placed in the box. I knew this model was a Hogan branded Lamkin Black Z5 without any cord in the upper half like the other Z5 grips. In the summer heat and humidity of the deep south, I stick with corded grips only. Will install the stock grips someday for use from Oct - April.

Grrr, so I emailed somebody in bhogan customer service asking for an update, like heads are in, will ship next week, it heads aren't in yet, or anything!

What's the response? "We can't do anything until next Tuesday."

WTH does that even mean!?!

Ordered on 9 June. Am I being unreasonable?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Played 9 this morning, irons were great as usual. The cleanest shot I've had with these came on the finishing hole. #9 is a 180yd par 3, I pulled my 7i and took a bit off, smooth swing and stuck the center of the green. Nice high ball flight, dropped out of the sky, leaving a nice crater, and spun back about a foot. I'm still about a club and half short on most clubs, but I'm adapting to the new distances.

Grrr, so I emailed somebody in bhogan customer service asking for an update, like heads are in, will ship next week, it heads aren't in yet, or anything!

What's the response? "We can't do anything until next Tuesday."

WTH does that even mean!?!

Ordered on 9 June. Am I being unreasonable?

I know the website said they were backordered and it would be 3-5 weeks before they were back in stock. This would be the 5th week. So, I would email them Tuesday.

I know the website said they were backordered and it would be 3-5 weeks before they were back in stock. This would be the 5th week. So, I would email them Tuesday.
Yeah, the thing I personally have an issue with is the response, as well as the fact I place my order 2 full weeks BEFORE they put up that notice online.

Like I said, just tell me something... Doesn't take much to keep PAYING customers informed... That's the business of customer service

Yeah, the thing I personally have an issue with is the response, as well as the fact I place my order 2 full weeks BEFORE they put up that notice online.

Like I said, just tell me something... Doesn't take much to keep PAYING customers informed... That's the business of customer service

I don’t think you’re being unreasonable at all especially since they take our money immediately, not when the clubs ship. If it helps I emailed them 2 days ago and asked for an update, I ordered 24 June, they responded back and said they will know more about the heads next week. So I’m assuming they should have lead time info next week...we shall see.

Going to install these on the PTx pro’s this weekend:

7b47ef92f91b66a62316bab35dee6a1f.jpg

That's awesome, they really are fantastic irons, from the looks to the performance. What shafts did you go with?

I went with the KBS Tour 90 stiff. Probably the hardest part of the decision. I really liked the trajectory of the Recoil, but am afraid they will be too light weight.

Either way, very excited!

Because I recently ordered I asked if it was possible to switch to the DBM if that is the release. They initially gave me a pretty cheeky-
'Guess we'll have to see what comes Tuesday', but followed up with a response that makes me think that it may be what they are releasing.

I think this is also why they are telling people who have orders in to wait until next week, as they may be getting all the heads in at the same time.

Because I recently ordered I asked if it was possible to switch to the DBM if that is the release. They initially gave me a pretty cheeky-
'Guess we'll have to see what comes Tuesday', but followed up with a response that makes me think that it may be what they are releasing.

I think this is also why they are telling people who have orders in to wait until next week, as they may be getting all the heads in at the same time.
Their DBM finish is phenomenal as evidenced by the lack of wear on my Equalizer wedges. I'm sure they will look great but I am perfectly fine sticking with the standard finish irons.

I was hoping the DBM finish would have been available to us, but definitely not complaining. These are the best feeling irons I've ever hit. They could be baby poop green and still be fantastic. The grips are the weak link that spans the entire lineup. I hope moving forward there are more offerings, but we'll see.

Back