Ben Hogan PTx Pro Forged Irons

I'll second that on the DBM finish. Equalizer wedges get allot of action on all my rounds and you can scarcely tell... Wear is minimum. Also have a black Vokey have wedge and the black was already worn of with the same amount of use as I've put on these, easy.

Edit: the grips, for me, aren't that bad. I probably only say that, because I'm that guy that'll play a wedge with the same group for several years, probably criminal, lol.

If the Ptx does come out in Black, I'm ok with that...I just want them in my bag already, black or not

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I've had a chance to hit these a lot over the weekend. Several things to talk about. Looks...these PTx Pro irons look great! You really have to see them in person to truly appreciate them. A nice blend of traditional Hogan styling and a modern look. V-sole...the v-sole works! As a digger, this feature is a real life saver. It definitely seems to be an improvement over the original PTx design. Feel...this is where these irons start to really separate themselves from other equipment available today! I've hit almost everything offered new right now. Everybody talks about the Mizuno "feel" or how soft Mizuno irons are. And, I'm not saying Mizuno irons don't have a good feeling, they do, but you need to hit these side by side with the Mizuno offerings to really appreciate how great the PTx Pro irons are! FWIW....I have the JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro irons, which are cast, not even in the same ballpark when it comes to feel! Performance...the irons flat out perform! They're not going to be the longest...they are traditionally lofted (7i-34*, PW-46*). The club head size is right in the sweet spot...not too big/little...not to wide/narrow...top line is not too thick/thin. The PTx Pros are fairly low spinning irons...lower than the previous generations. Launch monitor showed the 7i at >5000 RPMs. I want to hit these more to figure out distances. I believe these irons will fit 80% of golfers today from low HCPers to high HCPers. I'm interested to see if these irons push the Edges in their next iteration, to be more forgiving than they currently are? More towards SGI instead of GI. Also, these would make an awesome blended set with the Ft. Worth irons!

My swing is still in absolute shambles. Certainly not the clubs fault, as I'm making solid contact and the ball is flying the right distance. I just can't keep it on line to save my life. I've been sending everything way right lately on the course. Today I went to the range to work on things and a draw appeared out of nowhere. The feel from these irons on my off-line shots are about the only thing I've enjoyed on the golf course the past week.

Ptx Pro Black! They do look sick!

Now to see how long it takes to get them... BEEN waiting!

New release, back ordered. Maybe if you order ptx pro blacks now you’ll have them before Xmas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New release, back ordered. Maybe if you order ptx pro blacks now you’ll have them before Xmas.

I respectfully acknowledge that your point was made earlier in this thread. These are custom order clubs from a small company, they will take a while to arrive.

Thank you.

I respectfully acknowledge that your point was made earlier in this thread. These are custom order clubs from a small company, they will take a while to arrive.

Thank you.

This is my second set of irons from BHG ordered in the past 12 months. I know who I’m ordering from and what to expect...my above post was made tongue in cheek with respect to the fact that they released a new iteration that they don’t currently have in stock. I find that pretty odd is all...no need to take offense, none intended here. It wasn’t an attack. I’m a big BHG fan and supporter, maybe I should have worded my post more subtlety as intent/context is often hard to interpret online...but point taken.

For those following along, we will have info about the Graphite Challenge THP Event and signing up for it coming very soon.
Every participant will receive a brand new set of irons, with upgraded premium graphite shafts, play golf at PGA National (home of the Honda Classic) and tee it up with people from both UST Mamiya and Ben Hogan Golf.

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...2-The-2019-Graphite-Challenge-with-UST-Mamiya

PTx Pro 6i (30*) 169 Yards 7600 RPMs CHS 86 MPH
Mizuno HMP 7i (30*)175 7250 RPMs CHS 88 MPH

I thought the Mizuno would be longer. I definitely like the feel of the forged PTx Pro vs the cast HMP. Looks...i'm a Hogan guy so I like that traditional look, but the HMPs are good looking modern clubs. I am putting to much side spin on my irons. I am really working on getting back on plane and squaring the club at impact. I am getting that left to right out of all my irons except wedges. My best numbers with the HMP 7i were 190 Yards 5600 RPMs 94 MPH...that was the end of May/beginning of June.

Got out for 9 holes today and once again another solid day with the irons. Hit 6/9 GIR and had solid ball striking most of the day. The more rounds I get under my belt with these the more confident I am getting.

Played 18 at Chariots Run in Indiana across the river from Louisville. Very nice little hidden gem, links style course, bentgrass fairways and greens. Reminded me a lot of Gaylord Springs but about half the cost. Anyways, the irons really shined on those tight cut bentgrass fairways. I didn't have a shot where I needed more than a 7 iron due to playing forward (5800yds) with older co-workers. I just continue to be impressed with the consistency of these irons. While I was in Louisville, I went by Golf HQ and rented a half hour on their Trackman. I only had time to hit a handful of balls with my 9i and my 7i, but I had some interesting results. The 9i is lofted same as my Cleveland and it results in similar distance, flight, Ballspeed, etc. While I didn't get a picture of the dispersion map, I can assure you, the Hogan is more accurate. (Edited, the Trackman report finally came through!) The ball flight is softer off the face, better ball flight window (for me) and straighter. Of my lower irons (5,6,7) I only had a chance to swing my 7i from the Hogan set as I was running out of time, but it's roughly 15yds or so shorter than my Cleveland 7i. The accuracy is better however. Numbers below:
1a7bc6461163c45c9471327659838a66.jpg
b9322718aa0fbf2779a63fcca6ec00a1.jpg
33890160344e943afbb8e2816381194f.jpg

Last edited:
Played 18 at Chariots Run in Indiana across the river from Louisville. Very nice little hidden gem, links style course, bentgrass fairways and greens. Reminded me a lot of Gaylord Springs but about half the cost. Anyways, the irons really shined on those tight cut bentgrass fairways. I didn't have a shot where I needed more than a 7 iron due to playing forward (5800yds) with older co-workers. I just continue to be impressed with the consistency of these irons. While I was in Louisville, I went by Golf HQ and rented a half hour on their Trackman. I only had time to hit a handful of balls with my 9i and my 7i, but I had some interesting results. The 9i is lofted same as my Cleveland and it results in similar distance, flight, Ballspeed, etc. While I didn't get a picture of the dispersion map, I can assure you, the Hogan is more accurate. (Edited, the Trackman report finally came through!) The ball flight is softer off the face, better ball flight window (for me) and straighter. Of my lower irons (5,6,7) I only had a chance to swing my 7i from the Hogan set as I was running out of time, but it's roughly 15yds or so shorter than my Cleveland 7i. The accuracy is better however. Numbers below:
1a7bc6461163c45c9471327659838a66.jpg
b9322718aa0fbf2779a63fcca6ec00a1.jpg
33890160344e943afbb8e2816381194f.jpg
Curious about the difference in the 7 iron distance also... Made me look up stock lofts for each.

Ptx PRO 9 - 42*, 7 - 34*
Cleveland CBX. 9 - 39*, 7 - 30*

Did you get either set custom been to be the same? Makes me wonder too, and I can't recall, but the Ptx's construction is slightly different from low iron to the higher irons, just can't remember if the difference starts at the 7 or the 6 and if the difference would have anything to do with the difference?

REALLY curious to see how distances compare between my Ptx Pro's and Mizuno MP-32's. Don't have easy access launch monitors, but I'm very familiar with my club selection at my home track, so that'll be a good guage if there's a significant difference in distances.

Mizunos are from 2004 and lofts have gotten stronger in clubs over time to reflect distance gains, but that's what's unique with Hogan, they're not exaggerating lofts all while maintaining 4* between each iron.

Mizuno MP-32 9 - 43*, 7 - 35*

So they're pretty close to my Hogans. Difference here is obviously construction/technology...Bigger difference to me I think might be the shaft. DG S300u in the Mizuno vs the Recoil 780 F4 in the Hogans... Ugh can't wait!

I am about 2 months (40 or so rounds) in with this iron set and still regard them as the best iron set I have ever played.

I am about 2 months (40 or so rounds) in with this iron set and still regard them as the best iron set I have ever played.

That's awesome to hear man, I'm enjoying some great success still as well (about 20-25 rounds in)

Curious about the difference in the 7 iron distance also... Made me look up stock lofts for each.

Ptx PRO 9 - 42*, 7 - 34*
Cleveland CBX. 9 - 39*, 7 - 30*

Did you get either set custom been to be the same? Makes me wonder too, and I can't recall, but the Ptx's construction is slightly different from low iron to the higher irons, just can't remember if the difference starts at the 7 or the 6 and if the difference would have anything to do with the difference?

All mine are stock loft, I might at some point bend them to match the more aggressive, modern lofts that Cleveland used. I'm sure @Soxfan can verify but I believe the 7i is hollow, 8-PW is polymer filled. I've lost a little difference with these, however the accuracy of tremendously better. I cannot shape my shots, so I usually aim down the center and try to put it close. With a player who is better versed at shaping shots these would be lethal. In my hands, they are just really good.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

All mine are stock loft, I might at some point bend them to match the more aggressive, modern lofts that Cleveland used. I'm sure @Soxfan can verify but I believe the 7i is hollow, 8-PW is polymer filled. I've lost a little difference with these, however the accuracy of tremendously better. I cannot shape my shots, so I usually aim down the center and try to put it close. With a player who is better versed at shaping shots these would be lethal. In my hands, they are just really good.

The PTx Pro is hollow from 4-7 and solid 8-PW. The original PTx are hollow 4-6 and solid 7-PW. The Edges are filled 4-PW.

The best review I can give on the PTx Pro irons is this... I met @Pumbaa and @Johan185 today at Highland Creek in Charlotte. I brought both bags with me today so they could try out my new clubs. I played my Mizuno Hot Metal Pros on the front 9. I played like absolute garbage! I swapped over to my BH PTx Pro irons and it was like everything just clicked! @Pumbaa said it's like you're not even the same person anymore! Don't EVER play anything else but the Hogans!
I can not explain it...I swung them the same...they are built to the same specs, same shafts, etc. The only difference is the Mizuno HMPs are stronger lofted. Could be a mental thing?! But, I believe this is one case of arrows...not the Indian!

The best review I can give on the PTx Pro irons is this... I met @Pumbaa and @Johan185 today at Highland Creek in Charlotte. I brought both bags with me today so they could try out my new clubs. I played my Mizuno Hot Metal Pros on the front 9. I played like absolute garbage! I swapped over to my BH PTx Pro irons and it was like everything just clicked! @Pumbaa said it's like you're not even the same person anymore! Don't EVER play anything else but the Hogans!
I can not explain it...I swung them the same...they are built to the same specs, same shafts, etc. The only difference is the Mizuno HMPs are stronger lofted. Could be a mental thing?! But, I believe this is one case of arrows...not the Indian!
I'm a fan. I'll be playing my first full round with them tomorrow. Me and a friend of mine against another pair. 2 v 2... Let's go!

Ben Hogan PTx Pro Forged Irons

Got an email saying my irons will ship
“Sometime early next week” ordered 6/26. If anyone else on here placed an order around that time I’d expect they will be headed your way next week.

Last edited:
It's not that I've ignored these irons, but after having held one this weekend, I'm fully impressed.

Time to get a round in with a THPer who games them.

It's not that I've ignored these irons, but after having held one this weekend, I'm fully impressed.

Just a little bit of a drive but we're playing Lexington Saturday morning!

Played my second full round with them this afternoon... I'm still quite impressed. The Recoil shaft with the DBM head looks amazing, but the feeling of well struck shots is difficult to describe .. Like hot knife through butter.

That's not to say the shots that are slightly off center feel bad, on the contrary, those shots don't sting at all, still feel good, but there's enough feedback that I can tell I missed a little here or there.

Coming from an older club with DG s300, I can definitely tell a difference gaming this Recoil/PTX Pro head combo. Could just be the current state of my swing, ever changing as it is, but whereas I felt like I could load up on a shot with my old MP-32s to get a little extra or flight the ball a certain way, I've found with these that I don't need too, at least for a little extra distance. I get that extra distance with these babies by just swinging full, but smooth.
Little bit between clubs on a shot? Choking up and it taking a little off, flighting down.. The ability is there with these clubs... Just super impressed!

Looking forward to dialing them in even more!

Hmm...

The last 36 holes with these irons have been fantastic, the last 18 especially. I'm still fighting a slight draw every once in a while, but almost every shot is on the sweet spot.

Back