Ben Hogan PTx Pro Forged Irons

Kenomikes;n8880539 said:
For a guy whose hit a zillion irons, this is a big statement for these Hogan irons. I'd be trying them too if only they'd come in LH.

They're not as long as my CF19 Combo's, but, I'm at the point again of wanting to look at something a little more pleasing to my eye.

Jman;n8879823 said:
Really thinking about putting these into the bag full time. Take them a touch more strong, move to Elevates or 110 F5’s and give them a run.

This makes me want to try these even more, considering the number of brands you have hit.

Jman;n8880597 said:
They're not as long as my CF19 Combo's, but, I'm at the point again of wanting to look at something a little more pleasing to my eye.

Pleasing to the eye is huge for me and these look and set up great. The feel is amazing, and they're consistent. For me, they are longer than what I was hitting with less effort to boot.

Just have to remember, like I said in another post, if I feel like I need to boost one to get it there, I'm better off clubbing up.

**Don't MAN up, club up**

Knockdown;n8880300 said:
I’m playing my first round tomorrow with mine. Haven’t hit em yet but wow do they look good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There’s def going do be an adjustment period with these. I could barely hit the ball. Coming from dg s300 white shafts to these recoils is on helluva transition. I couldn’t tell where the club head was in my backswing so my transition started at all the wrong times I didn’t expect much first time out but wow, didn’t expect it to be so different. I’m just chalking it up to the lighter weight shafts and will keep plugging away with them. On a positive note the couple I did actually catch square felt amazing. Let me say most of the trouble was in the higher lofted clubs. I still carry my vokeys and could hit the crap out of them yesterday but my equalizer black 50* with recoil felt like I was swinging a plastic hammer.

Knockdown;n8881612 said:
There’s def going do be an adjustment period with these. I could barely hit the ball. Coming from dg s300 white shafts to these recoils is on helluva transition. I couldn’t tell where the club head was in my backswing so my transition started at all the wrong times I didn’t expect much first time out but wow, didn’t expect it to be so different. I’m just chalking it up to the lighter weight shafts and will keep plugging away with them. On a positive note the couple I did actually catch square felt amazing. Let me say most of the trouble was in the higher lofted clubs. I still carry my vokeys and could hit the crap out of them yesterday but my equalizer black 50* with recoil felt like I was swinging a plastic hammer.

This surprises me a bit. What Recoils?

Knockdown;n8881612 said:
There�s def going do be an adjustment period with these. I could barely hit the ball. Coming from dg s300 white shafts to these recoils is on helluva transition. I couldn�t tell where the club head was in my backswing so my transition started at all the wrong times I didn�t expect much first time out but wow, didn�t expect it to be so different. I�m just chalking it up to the lighter weight shafts and will keep plugging away with them. On a positive note the couple I did actually catch square felt amazing. Let me say most of the trouble was in the higher lofted clubs. I still carry my vokeys and could hit the crap out of them yesterday but my equalizer black 50* with recoil felt like I was swinging a plastic hammer.

I never experienced anything like when switching to graphite almost 5 years ago but did switch from lighter weight steel (Nippon 950) to Recoils in the same weight class in iron sets. Wedges were a different switch though as I always played stock (DG S300 wedge flex probably) but did not experience those issues with them either. In fact, my wedge game pretty markedly improved after making the switch to lighter weight graphite shafts.

I'm sure you will get your timing down soon enough and hope you enjoy the benefits and playability of the Recoils.

Knockdown;n8881612 said:
IÂ’m just chalking it up to the lighter weight shafts and will keep plugging away with them.

I moved from 110 gram SteelFiber to the Recoils at 87 grams. Definitely a transition period to get used to the different feel. Once you start sensing the head instead of missing the feel of the heavier shaft, you’ll be fine. I love how solidly and accurately I’m hitting the ball, and with less effort. I believe with the heavier shaft I had a “hit” mentality vs a true swing approach with the PTxPro / Recoil combo.

Edit to add that I did not like the recoils in my demo 56 equalizer wedge. When I ordered the 56 and 60 I went with the KBS Tour 90s. Only a few grams heavier but for me made a difference.

Recoils are F4 so they are 87gms ... yeah I’m not letting it bother me to much, think it was mainly in my head. I’ve been playing steel my whole life so yesterday was the first time I’ve tried a graphite iron shaft outside of my ft worth hi 5 iron. Most of the problem was the shorter irons. I’ll get it down. Headed to work for a month so I’ll have plenty of time to forget about those swings

gbtrsc;n8881634 said:
I moved from 110 gram SteelFiber to the Recoils at 87 grams. Definitely a transition period to get used to the different feel. Once you start sensing the head instead of missing the feel of the heavier shaft, you’ll be fine. I love how solidly and accurately I’m hitting the ball, and with less effort. I believe with the heavier shaft I had a “hit” mentality vs a true swing approach with the PTxPro / Recoil combo.

Edit to add that I did not like the recoils in my demo 56 equalizer wedge. When I ordered the 56 and 60 I went with the KBS Tour 90s. Only a few grams heavier but for me made a difference.

Luckily I have a 50/54/58 equalizer set with the kbs tour 90’s. May throw those in if I can’t get used to the recoils in the wedges. Lots of options.

I just felt like I was over swinging and that makes sense with up to 35gms of shaft weight difference and 3-4pts of swing weight difference.

Knockdown;n8881658 said:
Recoils are F4 so they are 87gms ... yeah I’m not letting it bother me to much, think it was mainly in my head. I’ve been playing steel my whole life so yesterday was the first time I’ve tried a graphite iron shaft outside of my ft worth hi 5 iron. Most of the problem was the shorter irons. I’ll get it down. Headed to work for a month so I’ll have plenty of time to forget about those swings

First time I went to Recoils from steel, same thing. Couldn't feel the head at all. I slapped on lead tape on all the irons and made a big difference.

Kenomikes;n8881676 said:
First time I went to Recoils from steel, same thing. Couldn't feel the head at all. I slapped on lead tape on all the irons and made a big difference.

I think @ soxfan did the same thing if memory serves. I think I’ll try that. How much tape equals 1pt in swing weight?

Knockdown;n8881678 said:
I think @ soxfan did the same thing if memory serves. I think I’ll try that. How much tape equals 1pt in swing weight?

2g of tape = 1 point

Knockdown;n8881678 said:
How much tape equals 1pt in swing weight?

Two grams. How much actual tape that is depends on which tape you use. Golfworks sells a high density tape that’s heavier than the old stuff so you need less of it.

Jman;n8881683 said:
2g of tape = 1 point

Thx Jman. I’m gonna try em a few more times as is and if still over swinging will try this.

Thank you THP and Ben Hogan for the opportunity to test equipment! The experience has been enjoyable trip to this point...

My apologies for not getting a significant review in sooner as a move and other responsibilities have hindered my golf time. I have been able to get out the last few weeks though and here are my thoughts about these clubs to date...

My set is 5-pw in KBS TourV shafts, stiff.

My reasoning for selecting the TourV was a lateral move from my custom built Mizuno jpx 919 forged. They also contained the TourV shaft so it was a natural and level comparison.

The balance of the club in D2 swingweight at 1/2” over is perfect for me. Slightly feel the clubhead but doesn’t feel out of control. At setup, they frame the ball beautifully-not to large, not too small. Top line isn’t blade like but not far off. Offset seems minimal to me. On strike, the sound is a light click, similar to my Mizunos. The feel is soft, yet solid.... I know that seems contradictory but it’s pleasant. The shafts are solid, sturdy, and reliable. I’ve heard a different steel shaft profile can really make these clubs even more gentle on the hands but I don’t have any experience with that.... but I know someone that does. And he knows who he his-#shaftgate. (Just poking fun at ya buddy)... ok, back to the review... the turf interaction or lack there of, is where this club really shines. With the V sole, It’s a nice thump and skip thru the turf... taking a slight divot but not digging a trench. I can say I don’t think I’ve ever felt the club stick on a slightly heavy shot. It’s amazing to see the ball carry on a slight mishit. Toe and heel strikes do not stray offline much and there is some distance loss-as there should be- but it’s manageable and not too harsh feeling. Ok now for distance... I had my Mizunos setup up 1* weak over factory which put the Hogans at a 1* difference (weaker than Mizunos). I hit my Hogans about 5-10 yds farther- no lie. Shocked me....

The grips ☹️..... Lamkin Z5’s...marginally soft, comfortable and good at absorbing shock. Adequate when dry. However, the slightest bit of moisture turns them into akin to hold onto a wet bar of soap. Could not hold on to the club without constantly drying hands and grips. Grips are a huge miss here. They look good and perform ok under dry conditions only...

These are absolutely quality clubs and should be considered if you’re in the market for new clubs. Try the demo program. It’s not perfect and may take some time to get the club but it’s worth the wait.

Please ask if you have any questions. I’ll continue to post reviews, especially on wear and tear as I play.

It seems like I have birdied more par 3 holes in the 3 months I have been playing these irons than I did for the 3 years before the PTx Pros.

I took mine out for a short range session before I left for work and just really concentrated on slowing everything down and feeling where the head was and after a few swings started to catch it right out of the middle of the clubhead. I’m amazed at how smooth this combo is once I got my timing back. The feel is incredible, I think I’m gonna get along fine with these babies. After 4 weeks of work have a golf trip to Sacramento area to see my brother and play a whole bunch so I’m excited to get back and get out there with these.

After two months, I'm still in love with these irons. Still waffling with the idea of bending them to stronger lofts. They are 1-1 1/2 clubs shorter than other irons I've swung. Distance isn't the end of the world, in fact I'm starting to get used to what club to pull at what distance, so who knows. I absolutely love the forgiveness, the look at setup, and the feel off the face. Honestly, I can't say that I would have ever given Ben Hogan clubs a shot before this event. I just didn't see where they fit in a crowded market with lots of cool technology. I wasn't sure if they would play for my game. I was wrong..real wrong. These have to be the best kept secret in the golf community.

Qwkz51;n8889602 said:
After two months, I'm still in love with these irons. Still waffling with the idea of bending them to stronger lofts. They are 1-1 1/2 clubs shorter than other irons I've swung. Distance isn't the end of the world, in fact I'm starting to get used to what club to pull at what distance, so who knows. I absolutely love the forgiveness, the look at setup, and the feel off the face. Honestly, I can't say that I would have ever given Ben Hogan clubs a shot before this event. I just didn't see where they fit in a crowded market with lots of cool technology. I wasn't sure if they would play for my game. I was wrong..real wrong. These have to be the best kept secret in the golf community.

How’s the forgiveness vs your Cleveland’s?

LLIB;n8889605 said:
How’s the forgiveness vs your Cleveland’s?

Hard to compare fairly, totally different but they aren't really even in the same stratosphere. The Cleveland are a true Game Improvement iron, I'm not sure what the PTX Pros fall under, but I wouldn't say GI. They are closer to muscle back than GI. However they are characterized, they are every bit as forgiving, maybe more, but they have a better overall feel.

Another great day with these! Before these, I really struggled with long irons. Today I had a couple long par 3's 190 & 178 & had no issue reaching them in 1 with these irons with backspin! Incredibly soft off the face, easy to control even for a hacker/slasher like me!

Qwkz51;n8896131 said:
Another great day with these! Before these, I really struggled with long irons. Today I had a couple long par 3's 190 & 178 & had no issue reaching them in 1 with these irons with backspin! Incredibly soft off the face, easy to control even for a hacker/slasher like me!

190?! LONG IRON?! That's like an 8 iron for Hawt Carl!

J.B. Cobb III;n8896139 said:
190?! LONG IRON?! That's like an 8 iron for Hawt Carl!

Not trying to be that guy, but if they were bent the same as my CBX, It'd be close. With the lower lofts of PTX, I hit a 7I and hoped it was close. :bashful:

Last edited:
Hit my Black PTx Pros today for the first time.

First, let me say, I’d really love to see these perform with my normal Recoil Proto shafts that Danny Le fit me into. That said, these feel solid even with steel shafts.

I can’t tell you anything about distances and such as I only hit on range today but they felt really solid. Shots toward the toe were a little penalizing but when struck solidly on the face these things are really solid.

They have a more solid feel than my Apex irons but it’s nothing that I’d say is off-putting.

I’m interested to get these back out again soon and see how they perform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back