Help choosing a new ball 100 mph swing speed

badolds

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
12 est.
The amount of info about different balls is overwhelming so I could use some help. I play almost all of my rounds best ball with my son so I have been using a Wilson Duo soft spin off of the tee and switching to a Duo U for second shots and around the green. I used to play bump and runs around the green but I have become addicted to the spin the Duo U has. I also love to hit right at the flag from 30-50 yards and the ball stays very close to the pitch mark, its like throwing darts.

The Duo U is out of production so I need to find a new gamer. The ball I am looking for will play like the Duo U around the green but have low spin off of the driver. I have limited experience with X type balls from different manufacturers but I cant get past the clicky feeling from these. My ball needs to have a soft feel for chips and putts.

I would prefer to stick with Wilson but I am not sure if the Duo Pro is the best ball for my game. I understand that I should try a lot of balls and choose a winner but even though I am improving I am still inconsistent to the point that my own testing is flawed. My swing speed is around 100 MPH when tested indoors on a launch monitor but I hit some bombs on the course that make me believe I swing harder than that.

The Chrome Soft is probably a good fit here but I would like to hear some alternatives. How does the Duo Pro compare to the Chrome Soft from the tee and around the green?

Bridgestone? Srixon?

Thanks

just my opinion, but swing speed is not the most important thing when picking a ball. greenside performance is key. the ball needs to perform to your preference from 100y and in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Snell MTB Black and Titleist AVX immediately come to mind that I believe would fit what you are looking for. Was going to include the Bridgestone Tour B RX but your SS may be a little much for it so will throw out the Tour B XS (the ball the Masters champion that you have probably heard of plays).

Snell MTB Black and Titleist AVX immediately come to mind that I believe would fit what you are looking for. Was going to include the Bridgestone Tour B RX but your SS may be a little much for it so will throw out the Tour B XS (the ball the Masters champion that you have probably heard of plays).
I will throw out the Bridgestone Tour B RX. I was fit into that ball with a swing speed of 108; and the fitter explained that the softer compression of the Rx would give me a little more launch as opposed to the Tour B (and bigger changes to my driver setup).

I will throw out the Bridgestone Tour B RX. I was fit into that ball with a swing speed of 108; and the fitter explained that the softer compression of the Rx would give me a little more launch as opposed to the Tour B (and bigger changes to my driver setup).

You guys are strong! :act-up:

I love the RX balls and have been playing it pretty much exclusively through all the changes for 10 years. Doesn't provide the most greenside spin but is predictable and consistent.

TP5x is a phenomenal ball

I second the Snell. Performs just like a Pro V1 for me but at about 1/2 the cost of you buy in bulk. I tried the Tour B RX and I liked it but there’s just something about the Snell. FWIW, my SS was similar to yours at an indoor fitting but I think it’s higher on the course because I hit it farther than what the monitor was showing.

Check out the Srixon Z-Star, the new cover will give you great green side spin with a soft feel and it’s low spin off the driver.

If you want something a little cheaper than the tour premium level balls then the Q-Star Tour can’t be beat in that category. If you can find any in the 2 sleeve test packs they’re an absolute steal!

edit: check out the Srixon Z Star and Z Star XV thread, lots of people converting to one of the 2.

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/...6-2019-Srixon-Z-STAR-and-Z-STAR-XV-Golf-Balls

Last edited:
Project a is a great ball.

This right here. It's a TP5 in disguise and priced right at $35/dozen. Even better, you buy four dozen, send in the codes from inside the box, and TM sends you a free dozen (that also has a code inside the box to use in the same fashion). You can stock up inexpensively, and it's just a fantastic ball.

My driver SS is 105-110 - love these and don't see the need to spend more on "premium" balls. Am a club longer with my irons over the previous Nike RZN TP, and see no loss with the driver. Fantastic spin on the green and they feel great. First hit them on the range at Pebble Beach (where they were officially launched by TM back in '14) and was hooked. Lots of great videos on YouTube as well.

If you are looking for something budget friendly(around $20) Cut gray or blue could work. Lots of stopping power on those second shots.

Curious as to why you think the Wilson pro won’t quite fit your game after enjoying the U? The biggest difference (to me) between the two is a slight increase in compression rating which will equate to a slightly firmer feel and perhaps fractionally higher ball speed for some. I play it and have enjoyed it. In comparison to the CS, the duo pro has more of a dull sound off the irons. The CS is a bit clickier but not in a bad way by any means. I also seem to get a smidge more distance from the CS but the CS also has a higher compression rating. Having said that there are so many choices that would suit your SS... Buy a sleeve of the various balls mentioned by our members and bang away! It’s all about how it feels to you. :clapp:

Just using swing speed as a determining factor is a little narrow. Other launch conditions play a big part in spin production, which in turn affects what ball would be best.

That being said, I think the Srixon Q-Star Tour is a great option unless you're looking for something that is really high spin. Also, even if it's not the ball for you, you're not out as much money as a proper tour ball.

Dan

Having played with you a few times I think your swing speed can handle any ball on the market. I wouldn’t get caught up in trying to fit the swing speed and look at it from a point of what’s more Important to you

- low spin off the tee.
- spin control into the greens
- softer versus hard feel
- same compression as your current ball

If the Wilson ball has been fitting your game and wanting to stay in that family the Duo Professional might be the next step to take.

If price point is a concern then you have:
Srixon Q Star Tour
Callaway Supersoft.
Beidgestone E series

At the upper level of the price point you have the usual players. I recently put the ERC in play and I’m really enjoying it. Next time we play I’ll give you a sleeve and you can try them out

Q-Star Tour

Curious as to why you think the Wilson pro won’t quite fit your game after enjoying the U? The biggest difference (to me) between the two is a slight increase in compression rating which will equate to a slightly firmer feel and perhaps fractionally higher ball speed for some. I play it and have enjoyed it. In comparison to the CS, the duo pro has more of a dull sound off the irons. The CS is a bit clickier but not in a bad way by any means. I also seem to get a smidge more distance from the CS but the CS also has a higher compression rating. Having said that there are so many choices that would suit your SS... Buy a sleeve of the various balls mentioned by our members and bang away! It’s all about how it feels to you. :clapp:

I hope it is a good candidate for me but I am not sure if it is or is not. I do not have a lot of driver experience with the Duo U as I explained in the original post. I will game the Duo Pro if it fits what I am looking for which is:

Low spin with the driver

lots of spin chipping and especially 30+ yard pitches

Soft feel chipping and putting

Urethane cover

I have a low launch angle with my typical surlyn balls such as Supersoft and Duo soft spin. I want to keep the same low spin low launch I have now with a Urethane ball that is great around the green.

I hope it is a good candidate for me but I am not sure if it is or is not. I do not have a lot of driver experience with the Duo U as I explained in the original post. I will game the Duo Pro if it fits what I am looking for which is:

Low spin with the driver

Urethane cover

I have a low launch angle with my typical surlyn balls such as Supersoft and Duo soft spin. I want to keep the same low spin low launch I have now with a Urethane ball that is great around the green.

Try the Vice Pro Soft. It checks all your boxes and is $35 shipped via Amazon Prime. If you like it, you can buy them in bulk from Vice for roughly $25 a dozen (5 dzn). Sometimes they offer buy 5 get a 6th dozen free.

Low spin with the driver

Urethane cover

The Duo Pro checks all of your boxes. Other offerings do as well. I say pick up a few of the choices mentioned here and see which one you like best.

Project a is a great ball.

This. For me if I played golf from only 50 yards in it would be my ball of choice. I put too much zip on it with full shorter irons, but driver spin seemed pretty inline with most other premium balls. It has the most green side control of any ball I’ve ever played-for my game anyways.

Another option might be the Q-Star Tour. It’s a solid lower compression ball.

Both of these balls can be found at good pricing too and perform very similar to the Duo U. They are little firmer but much less then the ones you don’t like the feel of.

Bought 20 dozen of the Nike RZN Platinum practice balls when Dunhams had them for $7.95/doz last year or the year before and have been playing them along with Srixon Z-Star and Z-Star XV balls from Dicks. Cheap enough that my 2 sons freely dip into the box in the basement where I keep them to use for their rounds as well.

Back