Do You Like To Review and Discuss Equipment?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Seems like a simple question, but everybody is different. Do you like to discuss and review equipment? Or are you more of a casual learner/reader that prefers talking about the game itself?

Casual learner, but I think I can provide feedback and perspective for results for me, club performance in comparison to other clubs I've hit, and have a basic understanding of numbers and data from flight monitors

Still have ALOT to learn tho

I'm envious of those that got into golf a lot longer, I truly wish I had instead of playing football, basketball, and baseball that all left me with some pretty good injuries that linger

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I feel like my on-course misses are mainly thin or fat or the face is wide open so no club technology is really going to help that. If it was more on the toe-heel axis, then I would feel better about reviewing equipment.

Last edited:

I love reviewing and discussing equipment. I never shut up about it. I drive my playing partners nuts with suggestions, from grip changes to shafts and club heads to balls that fit their swing speed and style.

I believe that technical information on equipment is a free resource that can help you improve, so why not use it as much as possible? Regardless if you are a scratch golfer or a 30 HC, there is almost certainly someone out there than can benefit from your experiences and information, both good and bad.

I really enjoy reading about and discussing equipment. Got to admit I do sometimes feel self conscious providing feedback since I miss the center of the face more than most and my clubhead speed, while average, is well below internet golfer level.

Still, I believe I do a decent job of relating my experience and being attentive to questions on equipment I’ve gamed or am playing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love testing, talking about and reading equipment reviews. I got the bug bad over the last few years.

i love talking about equipment. it’s really fun to share experiences and learn from others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Admin
I really enjoy reading about and discussing equipment. Got to admit I do sometimes feel self conscious providing feedback since I miss the center of the face more than most and my clubhead speed, while average, is well below internet golfer level.

Still, I believe I do a decent job of relating my experience and being attentive to questions on equipment I’ve gamed or am playing.

Never feel self conscious, this is gold not curing cancer. We are all about the fun my friend.

I try—but there are many others who do a much better job so I tend to let the folks who know the technical aspects much better than myself do the majority of the talking. I’ve learned a lot since I’ve been on here, and appreciate the “dumbing down” a lot of folks around here use to make it easier for dopes like me.

I want to get better at giving feedback to contribute around here, so I continue to give it a go on gear that I purchase.

I think I like to review and discuss equipment

I’ve enjoyed reviewing the clubs I got from The Grandaddy and now the Apex irons.

It’s cool.

I enjoy discussing equipment and reading others perspectives much more than swing thoughts, strategies, etc. That stuff is too much like work. I’m all for buying a game.

invariably forums around a particular topic gravitate to gear, as it is much easier to discuss than "soft skills." Gear testing gives data that people can agonize over and argue about. Some bits of the data are objective - 150 yards is 150 yards. But other aspects, particularly not gear-related, are almost completely subjective so it becomes difficult to even have a conversation. Plus cause and effect can be elusive. You can hit it fat, but why you're hitting it fat can be any number of things. By contrast, a 37" shaft and a 61.5* lie angle are easily compared/contrasted.

I try to stick with mix of art and science in my mind. Same in other pursuits. Gear is fun, but only part of the equation. Just the easiest to compare.

I do but feel I'm not very good at it.

Nobody is good or bad, it’s discussion
Anybody can share their feelings on their clubs if they like to.

I love equipment, but don't know enough to really have an in depth discussion. I'm always by guys who will sit around discussed shaft flex, kick points, tip stiffness, etc. I only can discuss what I like and don't like, but don't have enough experience to contextualize it. But I love talking about anything golf.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

I came back to the game beginning of this year after a couple decades off. I felt pretty lost when it came to gear (well, and my swing but that's a different issue). Things had changed a lot since everything was DG shafts and woods were made out of...wood :-D

fwiw, I've learned a ton from the TXG videos on youtube. I never thought I'd spend 20 min at a shot watching 2 guys mostly talking but I have. Go figure...

I've done a few reviews and like others, I feel like I don't add as much to the discussion being a higher handicapper. Now shoes and clothes I feel like I can bring more to the conversation. That being said I like doing reviews and reading others reviews. 99% of the equipment I have now came after I read reviews from other on THP.

I love doing reviews and talking equipment but there is always something I don’t know and need to learn. I’m an imperfect reviewer but getting better thanks to the amazing folks here.

I love to talk about equipment, and for the most part I do enjoy reviewing equipment. At times when I am more focused on playing, or working on something in my swing then it isn't my primary concern but that has happened fairly rarely.

I came back to the game beginning of this year after a couple decades off. I felt pretty lost when it came to gear (well, and my swing but that's a different issue). Things had changed a lot since everything was DG shafts and woods were made out of...wood :-D

fwiw, I've learned a ton from the TXG videos on youtube. I never thought I'd spend 20 min at a shot watching 2 guys mostly talking but I have. Go figure...

You should check out THP TV then
Info straight from R&D and of course Range Days is two guys talking about equipment

You should check out THP TV then
Info straight from R&D and of course Range Days is two guys talking about equipment

I've watched a few and they are good. I think its missing the Scottish accent though ;-)

I love the engineering and fitting side of golf so to me equipment is more interesting

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

I like to review/discuss equipment but honestly I've never found that natural way to describe what I see in certain pieces of equipment, something things are easier for me to describe like others, like balls and putters seem to be fairly easy, but drivers and FW always seem to be harder.

I love trying, reviewing and talking golf equipment. I love to tinker with stuff as I go and learning about shafts has been my current obsession. In turn it helps me learn more about my swing and how it works.

Back