2019 THP Bridgestone Championship at Firestone

Ok, so based on all these posts so far, I think it’s safe to say that all of our day jobs are safe. We all pretty much suck at golf.

But I’m going to take a wild stab, even though this will be my first event, that we won’t suck at having fun.

Will we know our partner prior to the event? If mine is somewhat local I’d like to get a round in with them, but mainly just to see how well they drink....lol. Kidding, mostly.

@pkorf I tried to win you some pink balls on Instagram today from THP. You’re welcome. Maybe it woulda been better for you to not try to help me figure out that one, haha! You also need to learn how to golf on Thursdays. Friday’s suck for me but I can play pretty much any Thursday. Would love to get a round in with you, even if you’re stuck with the Infamous Smiter... *:)

Hahaha this made me laugh! Love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Started the day at 7:00 on the golf course and we were the last ones to finish tonight. It was rainy, windy, and dreary so I only played 9 holes in the morning before going to breakfast. Returned later in the day and walked 36 more. Finished with 45 holes, 36k+ steps, and 18+ miles of walking. My legs and feet are gassed.

Too bad lots of golf doesn't make you better. On the plus side, I had my first eagle (hole out on a par 4) at my home course. 116 yards and made a golf shot. What?!?!? TOUR B RX ball flight was ideal. Ball landed, bit hard, and then rolled into the cup. The group ahead was on the next tee box and a couple of guys saw the shot. It was the perfect example of a blind squirrel finding a nut! Oh well, I'll be back out there in the morning. Planning to walk 36 more...if my legs can handle it. All and all, it was a damn nice day.

Ok, so based on all these posts so far, I think it’s safe to say that all of our day jobs are safe. We all pretty much suck at golf.

But I’m going to take a wild stab, even though this will be my first event, that we won’t suck at having fun.

Will we know our partner prior to the event? If mine is somewhat local I’d like to get a round in with them, but mainly just to see how well they drink....lol. Kidding, mostly.

@pkorf I tried to win you some pink balls on Instagram today from THP. You’re welcome. Maybe it woulda been better for you to not try to help me figure out that one, haha! You also need to learn how to golf on Thursdays. Friday’s suck for me but I can play pretty much any Thursday. Would love to get a round in with you, even if you’re stuck with the Infamous Smiter... *:)

I wholeheartedly agree big fella, we’d all probably like to be better but play for fun. We’ll all have a blast. Side note, I need to see this swing of yours.

Also, I may have just put another bottle of fireball in my golf bag. Usually reserved for birdies, it can sometimes come out for pars or bogies, or just whenever a round needs a new perspective lol.

I wholeheartedly agree big fella, we’d all probably like to be better but play for fun. We’ll all have a blast. Side note, I need to see this swing of yours.

Also, I may have just put another bottle of fireball in my golf bag. Usually reserved for birdies, it can sometimes come out for pars or bogies, or just whenever a round needs a new perspective lol.

As your roommate and potentially your golf partner, you better not withhold the fireball! I’m more of a scavenger, I just hope to find some vitamin A while I’m out there. But if I know you’re holding....:)

If you really want to see my ugly ass golf swing, my newly created (and only ) Instagram account is “smiteronthp” and I posted a swing. The video chopped the top of my head off, which was ok since I was trying to film the bag more than me. I hit driver probably 15 times that range session and pulled every single one of them. My only excuse was I was on about a 15% downslope. I can overcome and adapt from that usually but not on the tee, evidently. Mostly wasn’t hooking them, just pull after pull. Ugh.

Hahaha this made me laugh! Love it!

I thought it was a nice gesture:) I mean, they are a very manly shade of pink if that helps.....

(If you haven’t figured it out, I am a total failure at being serious, but hopefully a success at having fun).

As your roommate and potentially your golf partner, you better not withhold the fireball! I’m more of a scavenger, I just hope to find some vitamin A while I’m out there. But if I know you’re holding....:)

If you really want to see my ugly ass golf swing, my newly created (and only ) Instagram account is “smiteronthp” and I posted a swing. The video chopped the top of my head off, which was ok since I was trying to film the bag more than me. I hit driver probably 15 times that range session and pulled every single one of them. My only excuse was I was on about a 15% downslope. I can overcome and adapt from that usually but not on the tee, evidently. Mostly wasn’t hooking them, just pull after pull. Ugh.

Partners or not, I’ll not withhold the fireball. Ever. And thanks for the post about just having fun. There was another and I will find it and thank them as well. It was the message I needed to hear and put into play today. I played better, and enjoyed it today.

Took the new bag for a test round today. Love everything about it. The color, the pockets, the zippers. It’s nice and light and I look forward to getting it out all summer.

63a48eba271a83f96b021ca0e0862c80.jpg

Took the new bag for a test round today. Love everything about it. The color, the pockets, the zippers. It’s nice and light and I look forward to getting it out all summer.

Did you walk another 36?

Alright so... What do you keep in your bag and what pockets... I have the following items needed...

Rangefinder
Keys/wallet
Cell phone holder
Snacks
I think tees and ball pocket are some of the best I've seen.
Cigars travel humidor
Cigar kit (lighter/cutter)
Yeti

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Partners or not, I’ll not withhold the fireball. Ever. And thanks for the post about just having fun. There was another and I will find it and thank them as well. It was the message I needed to hear and put into play today. I played better, and enjoyed it today.

I (mostly) learned a long time ago that I’m paying to do this. If I’m not having fun, why should I be doing it?

It’s a game for everyone but those at the highest level. Something we pay to do. Just like paying to go to the arcade or paintballing, if we aren’t having fun, we’re going about it wrong.

Sometimes my competitiveness comes out, but even if it seems like I’m not having fun at that point, it’s a different kind of fun. I’ve always been a competitor and I used to thrive when anything was competitive. I won a golf tournament 20ish years ago with a round on a new to me Course that was one of a handful lifetime rounds under par. I love competing, but at the end of the day I know that I’m not great. I will have fun AND compete to the very best of my abilities though. But even if I’m not competitive, I will 100% be having fun.

And since I know you’re packing, don’t withhold the fireball. :)

It’s a fandamntastic bag, is it not? I love it. My fat butt needs to walk more and this bag will see every round this season with me. I hope to walk at least 50% of them. Make that 75% now that I don’t have to use my left hand to keep the bag strap from slipping on my old carry bag.

It’s comfy as all get out and functional. You can’t beat that with a carry bag.

Alright so... What do you keep in your bag and what pockets... I have the following items needed...

Rangefinder
Keys/wallet
Cell phone holder
Snacks
Cigars travel humidor
Yeti

My bag pockets hold:
Balls, gloves, tees, markers, range finder, bug spray, sun screen, Advil, repair tool, car key and H2O canister.

My bag pockets hold:
Balls, gloves, tees, markers, range finder, bug spray, sun screen, Advil, repair tool, car key and H2O canister.
Awesome might change everything over monday! Headed back to Fox tomorrow @pkorf... Unfortunately only for a wedding did not get the golf invite!

Rangefinder
Keys/wallet
Cell phone holder
Snacks
Cigars travel humidor
Yeti

You are only missing one thing. One that Hoosiermess knows is required. :) I do look forward to finding out which is his bootlegger pocket though.

Awesome might change everything over monday! Headed back to Fox tomorrow @pkorf... Unfortunately only for a wedding did not get the golf invite!

Hold up.... is Mr Korf getting hitched? Or is it for someone else?

Per his video @pkorf is already married (guessing?!). This is for a friend of mine.

Oh OK, thought so. I was going to give my standard wedding advice.....

DON’T DO IT!!! Lol!

Today's prep included walking 36 and playing in fairly windy conditions. One hole played 167 yards, slightly downhill and directly into the wind. I hit an above average 5 iron and got the ball to pin high.

I burned through a sleeve of B330 RX balls on the 2nd lap. Oh well, balls aren't made of gold and Bridgestone will make more!

Still struggling to hit consistent iron shots.

Today's prep included walking 36 and playing in fairly windy conditions. One hole played 167 yards, slightly downhill and directly into the wind. I hit an above average 5 iron and got the ball to pin high.

I burned through a sleeve of B330 RX balls on the 2nd lap. Oh well, balls aren't made of gold and Bridgestone will make more!

You and me both on the irons!

With kids that play, including my Oldest “Tyler the Shanker”, it’s nothing for us to go through a dozen on 18 (mostly Tyler, who goes long and wrong even more than me). I got a bulk buy on a shopping cart of Tour balls, my mistake was letting the kids use them because they were the same price as the cheap stuff. Burned through a lot of good balls that year.

I now give the kids one good ball to start the round and once that’s gone they play cheap distance balls. My middle son is as good as me and usually finishes the round with the same ball (I don’t usually but I’m longer than he is). Tyler is usually going to the shag bag by hole 2-3.

Rangefinder
Keys/wallet
Cell phone holder
Snacks
Cigars travel humidor
Yeti

So I have:
Rangefinder, don’t use this much, garmin gps wins, ball pocket
Keys wallet, I leave my keys in my truck, wallet too or cart pocket on my side.
Snacks: ... I’m a fat dude, I can play 36 holes to varying scores without snacks. Ball pocket or big pocket on right.
Cigars/cutter/kit small pocket bottom left.
Yeti: in hand, doesn’t do me any good if I’m not drinking out of it. Just saying
Fireball: hidden from Smiter , kidding of course, bottom left.

That changes a bit if you’re walking and or need your wallet, depending on what course you’re playing on.

So far the new bag is awesome, I had a 14 spot cart bag, and a 14 spot hofer, I’ll take this one all day.

I (mostly) learned a long time ago that I’m paying to do this. If I’m not having fun, why should I be doing it?

It’s a game for everyone but those at the highest level. Something we pay to do. Just like paying to go to the arcade or paintballing, if we aren’t having fun, we’re going about it wrong.

Sometimes my competitiveness comes out, but even if it seems like I’m not having fun at that point, it’s a different kind of fun. I’ve always been a competitor and I used to thrive when anything was competitive. I won a golf tournament 20ish years ago with a round on a new to me Course that was one of a handful lifetime rounds under par. I love competing, but at the end of the day I know that I’m not great. I will have fun AND compete to the very best of my abilities though. But even if I’m not competitive, I will 100% be having fun.

And since I know you’re packing, don’t withhold the fireball. :)

Bottom left pocket, unless we have a cooler with ice, then it will be there, partner or not, I won’t leave you hanging buddy. All of the rest is correct, I only really get frustrated when I’m topping everything, outside of that I’m good.

Enjoy! The food is always good!

Per his video @pkorf is already married (guessing?!). This is for a friend of mine.

It was close those little pork loin chops almost ended it for us

Rangefinder
Keys/wallet
Cell phone holder
Snacks
Cigars travel humidor
Yeti

Probably good for a new thread as to not limit it to here. Good discussion.

Back