Ben Hogan GS53 Driver and Fairway Woods

Has anyone messed with the adapter? If so did you see any noticeable changes?

I think HawtCrawl did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I haven't yet, Ive had a lot of success so far, so no tinkering for me.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I adjusted down 1* and open 1* but I didn't see a ton of difference. I will continue to tinker.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

I haven't yet, Ive had a lot of success so far, so no tinkering for me.

I’m in the same boat. If I get similar results as I did Sunday I’m leaving it alone. I just gotta get out with it. And remember @JDax Harmon’s swing advice.

Last edited:
Ben Hogan GS53 Adjustable Hozel Card

Attachments

• IMG_9966.JPG
    IMG_9966.JPG
    181.5 KB · Views: 1

I did. I went to the N- setting which took the lie angle from 58° down to 56° and saw center face contact immediately. I think 56 is my ideal angle.

I have tried it in both the N- and N+ positions. I saw more tendency to miss left in the N+ position which makes sense since a more upright lie angle is supposed to aid in slice reduction. I like the height I am getting from the 10.5 head so have not tried any other loft settings. Because of my tendency to pull hook as my big miss, going up in loft and looking at a closed face angle would drive me bonkers.

For me the N+ minimized the block-slice I would get with the N- setting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having a hard time with the driver right now. Played the front 9 with my m5 and hit 6/7 fairways.. started the back with the Hogan. First was a toe strike that went way right in the other fairway, next hole put it 297 middle of the fairway, 3rd drive another toe strike that started middle of fairway and ended in the trees

I know swing, face to path, and strike location are gonna determine the outcome, but my misses with the Hogan usually result in punching out under trees. I think for people who miss towards the toe it might not be the best fit, however heel misses have been very safe staying online, just lose about 20 yards

Again potential wise the Hogan has given me some of the farthest drives this year in very limited action. I have to get this to the range some more and develop a better feel

All the feedback in here and talk of the spin has got me definitely wanting to see some detailed data on this head. It’s pretty intriguing.

All the feedback in here and talk of the spin has got me definitely wanting to see some detailed data on this head. It’s pretty intriguing.

I'm going to try this week to get it out on trackman hopefully

Update:

Just left PGA store solely to get numbers of m5/tz6 vs Hogan/Lin-Q

M5: 9* set to 9.5*
Ball speed 157
Launch 14.5
Spin 2500
Carry 272
Total 290

Hogan: 10.5 set to 10
Ball speed 159
Launch 11.1
Backspin 1600
Carry 263
Total 291

Hogan: 10.5 set to 11. This is where the magic happened
Ball Speed 161
Launch 13
Backspin 2150
Carry 281
Total 302

Overall I still find the m5 more forgiving, but once I lofted up the Hogan it was like a completely different driver. The hogan Lin q is super low spin and launch and very quick too. Lofting up not only gave me better distances but dispersion improved a lot more too

My Srixon driver must have figured out that I sent the Hogan back yesterday. 5 tee shots blocked to the right. And I never do that with the Srixon!

Update:

Just left PGA store solely to get numbers of m5/tz6 vs Hogan/Lin-Q

M5: 9* set to 9.5*
Ball speed 157
Launch 14.5
Spin 2500
Carry 272
Total 290

Hogan: 10.5 set to 10
Ball speed 159
Launch 11.1
Backspin 1600
Carry 263
Total 291

Hogan: 10.5 set to 11. This is where the magic happened
Ball Speed 161
Launch 13
Backspin 2150
Carry 281
Total 302

Overall I still find the m5 more forgiving, but once I lofted up the Hogan it was like a completely different driver. The hogan Lin q is super low spin and launch and very quick too. Lofting up not only gave me better distances but dispersion improved a lot more too

That combination is going to be lethal for you. What's crazy is you could loft up more and get more distance out of it most likely. Either way however, 9 yards of carry increase is no joke.

That combination is going to be lethal for you. What's crazy is you could loft up more and get more distance out of it most likely. Either way however, 9 yards of carry increase is no joke.

I was shocked it gave me that good of results. At the 10* I hit some low bullets at 9 launch and 1200 spin so thought what the hell let’s try going up! Glad i did and I think I might try 11.5 when I get back on a monitor... accuracy was much better this way too. M5 going up for sale! Not even close in comparison

This driver is incredibly unique to me. It sits neutral, smaller looking head shape, but yet still inspires a certain confidence. I think part of that is the impact sound when you hit it. Super pleasing. This is a low spin head. I lofted mine up and am hitting it pretty well on the range, but it definitely falls into the camp of lower spin.

This driver is incredibly unique to me. It sits neutral, smaller looking head shape, but yet still inspires a certain confidence. I think part of that is the impact sound when you hit it. Super pleasing. This is a low spin head. I lofted mine up and am hitting it pretty well on the range, but it definitely falls into the camp of lower spin.

The spin surprised me. I’m glad I went with the Helium, I don’t think I could get anything out of it with the Tensei or Smoke. And I usually generate a ton of spin with my negative AoA

Agreed, really love the sound. I'm in need of low spin and this thing has been great for me so far. Coming from the TS2 which also worked really for me, but I feel like my better hits with this go further. Hoping to get it on trackman this week.

Agreed, really love the sound. I'm in need of low spin and this thing has been great for me so far. Coming from the TS2 which also worked really for me, but I feel like my better hits with this go further. Hoping to get it on trackman this week.

You hit the hell out of it in Nashville. It’s like the whole lineup was made for your game

Agree with this on "better hits with this go further"..... Thats what I'm struggling with right now vs M5. When centered there's no doubt the hogan set up goes minimum 10 yards further than my best strikes with M5. The problem is the M5 is much more accurate for me.

I think where I made the mistake is going with a lighter shaft in the Hogan. I tend to get fast with it and overswing

This is exactly what I have found. The look and sound are absolutely great. I think it's just too low spin of a head for me. I can get some good numbers on the launch monitor with it but on course wasn't nearly as good. The ball wanted to fall out of the sky on all but my best strikes, though I still got solid distance. Lofting up to 11.5 wasn't a good option either since that closes the face 2 degrees.

There was also the issue that others have mentioned with the super spinny, high shot that starts right and continues farther and farther to the right. It happened when I left the face open and blocked it but there must be something with the bulge and roll that causes the ball to fade farther right with certain strike locations.

Just re-shafted my GS53 5 wood. Just wasn't getting enough out of it with the Helium shaft in it. Possible creating too much spin when combined with the increased loft. Was hitting a lot of hooks also. Too bad because the Helium combined with the 3 wood head is a fantastic combo for me. Hopefully my tried and true, in previous FWs, Fuji Speeder 665 shaft (mid/mid) will do the trick and yield me the distance and dispersion I am looking for.

At first I didn’t think I had a very good day with these today but not that I look back on the round it wasn’t as bad as I first thought.

I hit 1 OB but I do that with every driver. I only hit 3 fw’s out of 7 but the other 3 (1 OB remember ) were within a few feet of the fw. I hit 2 really low fadey stinger type drives that found the fw. I also hit 2 that were as long as I’ve ever hit on those holes. One would’ve drove a short par 4 but I missed about 10yds left.

The 4w is hit or miss for me. I only hit it twice. Once off the tee and once on a par 5. The hit the tee shot a little fat but still got 215 or so out of it and just missed the fw. That one felt like it was gonna be a 100yd pop up but it just kept going. The shot on the par 5 was weird. I felt like I flushed it and it took off like a rocket and then just fell out of the sky after about 195yds. I never did figure that one out.

The 4w seems fairly forgiving. I’ve never really put much stock in fairway wood forgiveness because the heads are so small. The look, sound, & feel are all great. Probably the best I’ve ever played.

My only problem may be the shaft. That’s not the clubs fault, I think I just picked the wrong one. It feels like a heavy noodle but if the results are there I can live with it

Back