Ben Hogan GS53 Driver and Fairway Woods

I have had the Ben Hogan 3 wood in my bag for 2 years now. I hit a absolute frozen rope from about 240 into a Par 5! It sounds and feels so good when you blister one. I’m gonna look at putting a Callaway Big Bertha B21 3&5 wood in my bag. Let’s see in the GS53 can stand up to all the tech!

I have had the Ben Hogan 3 wood in my bag for 2 years now. I hit a absolute frozen rope from about 240 into a Par 5! It sounds and feels so good when you blister one. I’m gonna look at putting a Callaway Big Bertha B21 3&5 wood in my bag. Let’s see in the GS53 can stand up to all the tech!

I am wanting to switch only because im OCD all the woods need to match . but that being said this club is silly easy to hit and long.

I am wanting to switch only because im OCD all the woods need to match . but that being said this club is silly easy to hit and long.
Same. The B21 driver has been a miracle worker for me, so I want to see what it can do in a fairway wood.

Same. The B21 driver has been a miracle worker for me, so I want to see what it can do in a fairway wood.

I checked one out at Golf town last week looks extremely forgiving. But it is a real launcher too.

Let's bump this one. I get this release is old news at this point but the fairway woods are still really good. If you like a compact and classic look at address with a sweet sound then you may want to consider these.

I have the 16* 4W and am loving it. It's not a low spin distance monster. Just a beautiful playable trajectory with distance on par with most clubs in this class. For me it's a super accurate 2nd option off the tee. My FIR so far is off the charts.

I did just have a situation where I pulled it off the deck for a long approach from 237. Not really where I feel most comfortable. Hit a nice little draw to the center of the green. I was smiling all 237 paces up to that green and had a little pep in my step :p

Let's bump this one. I get this release is old news at this point but the fairway woods are still really good. If you like a compact and classic look at address with a sweet sound then you may want to consider these.

I have the 16* 4W and am loving it. It's not a low spin distance monster. Just a beautiful playable trajectory with distance on par with most clubs in this class. For me it's a super accurate 2nd option off the tee. My FIR so far is off the charts.

I did just have a situation where I pulled it off the deck for a long approach from 237. Not really where I feel most comfortable. Hit a nice little draw to the center of the green. I was smiling all 237 paces up to that green and had a little pep in my step :p
I agree 100% on the look and feel of the fairway. Compact, classic, and clean aesthetic. I'm loving the pairing of the 3w with the PX Smoke Black shaft.

Booked some indoor sim time for the new year 🔥

Looking forward to testing the GS53 MAX driver and fairway against my previous clubs. Didn't have enough time to give either a fair shake before the end of the season, but they both felt great and worked as well as anything in the past.

Especially interested in seeing how the numbers look for the fairway. There is a distinct difference in the feel and trajectory of the GS53 3w (PX Smoke Black) vs. my Cleveland HB Launcher (Kiyoshi Purple). The Launcher is the oldest club in my bag and I haven't even considered a change in 3+ years, but the GS53 has so far felt easier to control, easier to connect off the ground (more traditional sized head), and more predictable in the air (LOW trajectory). The HB on the other hand, gives me this beautiful towering trajectory and can compete with my driver distance on a regular basis. That's a huge plus with the amount of difficulty I have using driver. If the GS53 comes close to the numbers I had on the HB, its looking like the more versatile of the two for my game.

Last edited:
The GS53 fairway woods are lethal! For a smaller footprint, the results are tremendous. The sound is addictive. The only reason I’m planning to move into something else is more overall forgivenes.

Booked some indoor sim time for the new year 🔥

Looking forward to testing the GS53 MAX driver and fairway against my previous clubs. Didn't have enough time to give either a fair shake before the end of the season, but they both felt great and worked as well as anything in the past.

Especially interested in seeing how the numbers look for the fairway. There is a distinct difference in the feel and trajectory of the GS53 3w (PX Smoke Black) vs. my Cleveland HB Launcher (Kiyoshi Purple). The Launcher is the oldest club in my bag and I haven't even considered a change in 3+ years, but the GS53 has so far felt easier to control, easier to connect off the ground (more traditional sized head), and more predictable in the air (LOW trajectory). The HB on the other hand, gives me this beautiful towering trajectory and can compete with my driver distance on a regular basis. That's a huge plus with the amount of difficulty I have using driver. If the GS53 comes close to the numbers I had on the HB, its looking like the more versatile of the two for my game.
Looking forward to your results. I really enjoy the fairway. The look at address and sound is about perfect.

made it a point to hit this 3w a few times last week.

Love the classic look and sound but I hook this thing off the planet sometimes like hybrids of old. Not quite as bad when playing off the turf, but teed up I'm not sure I put one in the fairway.

Love the classic look and sound but I hook this thing off the planet sometimes like hybrids of old. Not quite as bad when playing off the turf, but teed up I'm not sure I put one in the fairway.
I get where you are coming from with the lefts as I've had a few get away from me. With a smooth swing it's usually straight to a nice draw and is very predictable to start down the right side and be in play.

This 3 wood has always been long and straight for me!

I have had nothing but positive results with mine. They’ve been almost automatic for me. If one goes left on me, it’s definitely caused by “the Indian” trying to swing too hard.

I keep striping this 3 wood! It knows I’ve been pondering the B21 fairway woods and is putting up a fight!

Jeez, it was just straight lasers with this today! I can’t replace it while it’s working so well! Watch it start to act up now!🤣

Bump for some nice spring weather in the Northeast.

Got a chance to get out last week and didn't get along too well with the GS53 Max driver. Switched it up on hole 6 after 4/4 missed fairways and caught a hot streak with the 3 wood. Ended up with 5 FIR over the next 9 holes. What a mean little rocket launcher, every bit as good as my other 3w only with a lower trajectory. Shaft swap imminent this spring to try and get into that mid-height range, which would make this club absolutely perfect for me.

3 wood is 🔥🔥🔥 I was hitting a bit heavy today and that would usually mean fairways stay in the bag but I did very well with the GS53. Was able to put a second shot to the fringe on a par 5 from 238 and had another from a bit longer (247) that put me in a greenside bunker for a really good look at birdie (did I mention how good the wedges are?).

Driver is still up and down. When I get a hold of one it really flies but I don't have much consistency and I cant seem to find my rhythm with the smoke black shaft. Solid club, but I am leaning towards getting my Cleveland HB Launcher back in the bag to see if it performs any better.

Even though I have given the GS53 Max many chances to knock the original GS53 out of the bag, it just can't do it. I just find the center more with the GS53 and it is easier for me to work it up, down, left and right.

Had the day off and 70 degree weather, so I was out on the course. Again 🔥 and again 🔥 and again 🔥 with this fairway wood. Helped save me par from an adjacent fairway today (from 245) and a really good swing on 18 left me a chip and a putt for a birdie to finish up the back 9 with a 39. It's crazy how much pop I'm getting from this fairly compact sized fairway. Compared to my old fairways, they look about half the size but travel just as far. Makes hitting off the turf feel so much easier.

I'd normally say leave the driver in the bag with these kinds of shots but the GS53 Max did pretty darn well today too. Hit 9/13 fairways! Really starting to heat up with these BH woods and wedges.

I haven’t pulled the GS53 out since I added the Cleveland Hy-wood to the bag. I’m going to have to rethink this spot in my bag.

I think the time has come to remove the LAST Ben Hogan club from the bag. The 3 wood let me down twice today!😢
8ABDDDC3-3126-45B2-A1C7-A0EA90EBFCA0.gif

Back