Ben Hogan GS53 Driver and Fairway Woods

My Swing Evolutions review of the GS53 driver.

Awesome, thanks for posting this. I'll give it a watch tonight.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

A couple of pictures of the 5 wood.
79edede5ca9e4d90c770642456d5b5a4.jpg
189bc5947ce9a0d5862936e1c45d2eb8.jpg

The 3 wood has basically made the 2 drivers I currently have in my possession obselete. Hit it almost as far and much straighter with mishits being a little less penal. 11 of 14 fairways hit today using the 3 wood off 11 tees and the 5 wood off 3 tees. 2 of the 3 misses were pushes on the last 2 holes when I got a little lazy with the swings in the 100 degree heat. The 5 wood is dialed in now as well.

Fairway woods are very important to my game so I am quite particular about them. That is the reason why the Callaway XHot Pro 5 wood stayed in my bag for about 6 years with none of the other options I tried over that time being able to replace it. It looks to be finally retired.

Such a good looking driver. I love to pull for the "little guy". If I weren't so smitten with my TEE EXS, I believe I'd give this a go myself.

Last edited:
The 3 wood has basically made the 2 drivers I currently have in my possession obselete. Hit it almost as far and much straighter with mishits being a little less penal. 11 of 14 fairways hit today using the 3 wood off 11 tees and the 5 wood off 3 tees.

I like what I'm hearing! This is what I'm severely lacking right now. Driver woes are seriously impacting my ability to score. I love FW off the tee so this sounds great.

I like what I'm hearing! This is what I'm severely lacking right now. Driver woes are seriously impacting my ability to score. I love FW off the tee so this sounds great.
I have the driver coming so really looking forward to getting it after the success I have seen with the FWs. I really like the TEE CBx 3 wood but this one is just a little better from a performance standpoint for me.

I have the driver coming so really looking forward to getting it after the success I have seen with the FWs. I really like the TEE CBx 3 wood but this one is just a little better from a performance standpoint for me.
I'm looking forward to your thoughts on the driver. After just taking another look at the website I realized the Helium shaft is a stock option for these. I fell in love with that shaft when demoing the Wilson D7. This pretty much moved Ben Hogan to the top of my list for driver and fairway this year.

I'm looking forward to your thoughts on the driver. After just taking another look at the website I realized the Helium shaft is a stock option for these. I fell in love with that shaft when demoing the Wilson D7. This pretty much moved Ben Hogan to the top of my list for driver and fairway this year.
Yep, have Helium in FWs and will be in driver. I didn't really get along with the other options when I tried them. Was a little worried about a shaft that light in the FWs but after feeling them out for one round, they have been great for me.

How deep/shallow is the face compared to the CBX?

How deep/shallow is the face compared to the CBX?
Basically equal. Measured sole to crown up the middle of the clubface on both and both were 1.25".

Basically equal. Measured sole to crown up the middle of the clubface on both and both were 1.25".

Glad to hear that. I hate super shallow face fw’s. Tour Edge always gets it right with their CB fw’s so it’s nice to know the Hogan’s are similar.

Glad to hear that. I hate super shallow face fw’s. Tour Edge always gets it right with their CB fw’s so it’s nice to know the Hogan’s are similar.
Yep. Both are quite comfortable to me.

Looking forward to trying these out! Hitting my EXS 3 wood really well right now.

This is such a good looking line from Hogan! The driver has me really interested - can't wait to hear your thoughts when you get it in your hands Sox.

Still unsure when I will have the driver in hand. Sent an inquiry email yesterday afternoon so hopefully will hear back today. Received an email from BHG yesterday inviting me to review it so I don't think it will be far off. Until then, I will continue playing in or just off the fairway after teeing off with the 3 wood.

Wouldn't mind seeing a demo program pop up for the fairway woods. Would love to hit this and am torn between the Smoke and Tensei in the 14°. I'm kind of on the hunt for a Tee specific fairway club.

Wouldn't mind seeing a demo program pop up for the fairway woods. Would love to hit this and am torn between the Smoke and Tensei in the 14°. I'm kind of on the hunt for a Tee specific fairway club.

It is a great club off the tee and deck. I have the high launch UST Helium in mine and have absolutely no problem hitting it off the ground.

Found this post last night on Facebook Marketplace. I usually look for vintage Ben Hogan stuff but saw this add. Not a bad deal for a Ben Hogan GS53 driver, fairway wood, and VKTR hybrid. I do not know this guy! Just thought I would pass it along.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2237168566365456/

Ben Hogan Golf just tweeted that the GS53 Driver and fairway woods are available in the demo program!

Just received a shipping notification for the driver so guessing I will have it early next week. Can't wait to hit it!

Ben Hogan Golf just tweeted that the GS53 Driver and fairway woods are available in the demo program!

Thanks, just ordered the Driver/FW demo. Easy decision to give them a go for two weeks when the demo cost is only $20 with shipping included for both directions.

Just ordered the Driver & 4W demo package with Helium shaft! Not only will these go up against my current clubs but I want to put the driver against the Wilson D7 w/ Helium that I really loved.

GS53 Driver is scheduled to arrive late Monday afternoon!

Put one of my drivers back in the bag yesterday after playing 3 wood off the tee for 2 weeks. It was basically a disaster and was back to hitting the 3 wood off the tee on the back 9. This baby can't arrive soon enough!

b0f0aba3706d33700b7d37b26f463fc5.jpg

Back