Ben Hogan GS53 Driver and Fairway Woods

Looking forward to comparing it to my EXS driver.

YouTube golfer review of the Ben Hogan GS53 9.0* driver and GS53 14* & 16* fairway woods.

Totally blown away by the driver! Lucky enough to participate in the UST shaft up event and receive the Hogan driver. Very classic looking... For me this a good example of looks vs performance and what matters to you more.

For me I prefer the look/address of my m5 over the Hogan. The Hogan definitely looks good, I just prefer the matte finish over gloss

Performance wise from the very first swing this outperformed the m5. Since February I've posted numerous times that the m5 has been the best driver ive played. Easy to control, sounds great, and performs well... The hogan driver immediately dropped my spin along with the new UST shaft. I went from carrying my m5 at 263 avg (high spin over 3000 constantly all from swing issues) to carrying the Hogan 282 (avg spin was 2400). Ball speed in the low 160's was comparable to the TaylorMade, but launch and spin gave the extra 19 yards avg carry. I used it twice out on the course and could tell misses were very controllable. Im not quite comfortable with it yet, mainly I think b/c I don't like the grip and will put on the Z-cord this week. I'll hit the range today or tomorrow if it ever stops raining in Chicago and hopefully get 18 in Saturday morning at my home course to compare where I normally hit it

Sound was muted, no loud ting sounds like the epic flash line this year

Overall the driver should be on everyones radar. It's every bit as good, if not better than anything on the market right now

Just ordered the 9* Hogan driver with the UST Mamiya Helium F3 regular shaft. I went with the 9* head because, looking at the Flight Control specs for the 9 degree, I can move it to 10* and it becomes 2* closed. With the 10.5* head, to get 2* closed it has to go to 11.5*. Ordered it 1 inch short too, to 44.5".

Still got my Hogan Edge irons I bought back in 1989 and have installed Project X 5.5 shafts in them. Get them out every once in a while. Sweet irons, perimeter weighted forged heads that feel so good at impact.

My Demo clubs have been sitting in the plastic since Tuesday. Probably the single worst week of work I could have had while trying to test clubs. I was finally able to unwrap the 4W and compare it to my TEE EX10 beta 4W.

The heads are almost the same exact color. Hogan is a slightly more rounded shape and shorter heel to toe by about 1/8". Face depth is within 1/16" of each other. Both look good at address with the Hogan giving the appearance of a smaller footprint.

Hit about 10 shots and really enjoyed the sound and feel. Actually seemed similar to the EX10. Hard to judge distance with where I was hitting but it's similar, with a possible edge to the Hogan due to a better flight. The Hogan is a high but penetrating flight. My only knock on the EX10 has been off the tee it produces a high but more ballooning flight. My knock against the Hogan is that I hit two monster hooks in my 10 shots. I really like the feel of the helium shaft but I'm not sure if that is the problem or they were just bad swings.

This was just a quick getting-to-know-you demo with some extra balls I had laying around. I will be doing more testing at a toptracer range and on course next week.
bd38c3b7e047baa09443dd10d8c2555a.jpg
e2812cb0892b607c09b0a233923aabb5.jpg

Not a huge deal, but for an unhit head that came in plastic I was a little disappointed with some defects. Not sure it would deter me at this price point but it's worth noting.
992bbf69651a985d00a124711d4f8630.jpg
ed9c142a5e3fb5cf78daf95ba4ba7871.jpg
0ff81c1a10b5a422a7cb8e6fcce57060.jpg

Not a huge deal, but for an unhit head that came in plastic I was a little disappointed with some defects. Not sure it would deter me at this price point but it's worth noting.
992bbf69651a985d00a124711d4f8630.jpg
ed9c142a5e3fb5cf78daf95ba4ba7871.jpg
0ff81c1a10b5a422a7cb8e6fcce57060.jpg

Hopefully they're using factory 2nds for the demos? Everything I've seen about this company says they wouldn't be selling something like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully they're using factory 2nds for the demos? Everything I've seen about this company says they wouldn't be selling something like that.

This seems to be the most likely scenario. It makes sense to use blems as demo clubs. If I ordered a new club and it came that way I'd definitely be sending it back for a new one.

And speaking of the demo program, I've been itching to try these out after Shaft Up #2, but I imagine it's going to be a while until they have the club I want in stock.

My FWs and Driver were blemish-free so I would say you are dead on.

Hit the demo 10.5 driver and 4w today. Both with Helium 5F4 shafts. Both really good looking sticks. The driver as others have noted is quite muted at impact but it’s solid for sure. Only hit a couple of dozen balls with it on the range, set to 10* and 1* open. Didn’t like the ball flight I was getting. So I took my cart home and got my Srixon driver to use for the round. Need some more time with the GS53 driver to check out different settings.

The 4w is another story. Solid from the first swing. Good ball flight. Great distance. Great sound and feel. If I order one I’ll need to decide between the 3W and 4w.

Bottom line, both are really nice sticks. The driver has some work to do to kick my Srixon z565 to the curb. But the FW has a solid chance.

I'm not sure if that's the case or not. If it were me, I would include a disclaimer with the demo stating that any cosmetic blemishes aren't reflective of the condition of actual retail clubs.

I'm not sure if that's the case or not. If it were me, I would include a disclaimer with the demo stating that any cosmetic blemishes aren't reflective of the condition of actual retail clubs.

Any thoughts yet on its performance?

a74c920cc718e8f744a4fb7a84de5bec.jpg

First drive on the home course

I'm excited to hit this club today. It was hard not to go out last night and hit it. Range time in about 2 hours!

Changed the setting on the driver today for the 1st time to N+. Keeps the same loft (10.5) but moved the lie angle up from 56 degrees to 58 degrees. I was getting higher ball flight, and likely higher launch, with this setting and still the same straight to slight draw. Going to try it again tomorrow but it looks like that setting may be preferable for me.

Changed the setting on the driver today for the 1st time to N+. Keeps the same loft (10.5) but moved the lie angle up from 56 degrees to 58 degrees. I was getting higher ball flight, and likely higher launch, with this setting and still the same straight to slight draw. Going to try it again tomorrow but it looks like that setting may be preferable for me.

Playing again tomorrow so I’ll try that out. I had mine set to 10* and 1* open. Was not good for me.

Playing again tomorrow so I’ll try that out. I had mine set to 10* and 1* open. Was not good for me.

I am not typically a very high ball hitter so lofting down would not do me any favors. I was actually expecting to need to with the high launch Helium shaft but see no reason to at this point. Got the 10.5 because I am better off going down with an open face than up from 9 with a closed face. A hook is my typical miss.

Yeah my first range session I hit it way too low with the open face and a bit lower loft. I’ll try your setting suggestion tomorrow. Thanks.

Ben Hogan GS53 Driver and Fairway Woods

The 3 wood is a missile launcher

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The 3 wood is a missile launcher

If I decide to get the FW I will have a serious think about whether it will be the 3W or 4W. I’m looking for a higher launching FW but the 4w might be a bit too high. Super easy to hit, though and really solid. Looks great behind the ball. Also not sure whether 59 grams or so is too light for a FW for me. Might want to try the Tensei before making the buy.

If I decide to get the FW I will have a serious think about whether it will be the 3W or 4W. I’m looking for a higher launching FW but the 4w might be a bit too high. Super easy to hit, though and really solid. Looks great behind the ball. Also not sure whether 59 grams or so is too light for a FW for me. Might want to try the Tensei before making the buy.

The 3 wood gets plenty high

Are you using the Helium or other, and what flex?

Are you using the Helium or other, and what flex?

I hit Cobb’s 6.5 HZRDUS smoke shaft

The driver was absolute money today. Hit it well on the range and it carried over to the course. The sweet spot on the face is huge and is so easy to hit. Can't wait to get it back out there tomorrow.

Back