Ben Hogan GS53 Driver and Fairway Woods

Headed to the course with the driver to begin testing for the review!

I sent my demo clubs back. There were things I liked about them, but I just couldn’t get them to outperform or even match what I currently play. I fully suspect that if I was properly fitted with these clubs, specifically the shaft and loft/lie, that I would have liked them. I just don’t have the patience to try and fit myself. It was worth the $20 to demo them and I hope they are successful going forward. No regrets giving them a whirl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My replacement shaft(slipped ferrule/adapter) arrived today after I got home from the course. Playing Saturday with @llib & @kygolfer hoping for good results need this driver to work for me.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
My replacement shaft(slipped ferrule/adapter) arrived today after I got home from the course. Playing Saturday with @lib & @kygolfer hoping for good results need this driver to work for me.

You got my name wrong

Headed to the course with the driver to begin testing for the review!
Curious how it works for you. What is your normal driver SS? I know a few people with higher speeds have struggled with it.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Curious how it works for you. What is your normal driver SS? I know a few people with higher speeds have struggled with it.

I’m 108+ range.

Maybe that is why I have experienced success with it. Certainly not in the high swing speed range.

Based on design it should technically be the opposite so I’m curious to learn more about this.

I’ve been pretty happy with mine. My swing speed is right around 100.

I swing the driver about 100. I am a habitual hitter toward the toe and I believe that is the biggest problem with me and the driver. As far as the fairway wood was concerned, I don’t believe I can hit a stiff shaft in fairway wood, definitely not the one that came with the demo. I was hitting the 4w the same distance as my 7w (195 yards).

I would be interested in getting fitted for them properly and see how they work for me. It just came down to checking their website for weeks until a stiff shaft became available and the grabbing the one that was in stock.

I would be tempted to try the driver with helium or tensei shaft, but I am not sure if I would need regular or stiff and it is a $20 gamble each time I grab a demo. So if I think I want the stiff helium shaft and am unhappy, I am now in for $40 on trials and need another $20 to try either helium regular or tensei stiff.

I don’t mind their direct to customer model, but it makes it difficult on people like me that don’t know what they really need.

Ben Hogan GS53 Driver and Fairway Woods

My SS is right around 100, I switched from the Helium in stiff to the Tensei in stiff with very good, consistent results. The Helium was a tad light & did not let me swing aggressively, I was hitting everything on the heel. With the Tensei, I see better consistent center face contact and am getting the ball flight and distance I would expect. Love the sound when I hit it square.
Looking forward to hearing how it plays for you Jman

Posted the first pic a few days ago. Hogan 4w 16* w/ Lin-Q shaft vs m6 5w 19*.

I’ve been seeing weird numbers from the hogan so I put the Lin-Q shaft in my m6 3w 15* to see if it’s the head or shaft. The Lin-Q shaft is in my driver and it’s the best I’ve ever played so I wouldn’t think that caused any issues. Maybe it just doesn’t work well in the fairway???

Took 4 swings with the m6 3w Lin-q just to make sure everything was glued ok. First swing of the day sucked, ball speed 136. But next 3 were 153,154,153. If I deleted the first swing the averages would be way better to show better gapping between the 3w and 5w

1ac82d5e9ff9b753909b78d8b31eab86.jpg

598c887c991e96c8a3090df8e4a2eda0.jpg

Today's round with the driver was fantastic. I was in perfect position the entire day except one hole with the driver (Hit a toe shot that flared out to the right). I was playing with a buddy who I haven't played with since getting the Hogan's and one of the first things he mentioned was how he loved the sound of the driver.

After the trackman session the other day and having this on the course many times since getting it, I have officially switched over from the TS2 completely.

I played a couple rounds over the weekend and the driver was the best club in the bag for me. My iron swing has disappeared and I’ve never been a good short game player so if the driver goes it can be really bad.

Saturday’s round was pretty ugly but I hit the driver well. I wasn’t in very good position but that was more lack of course knowledge. I missed a lot of fairways but not by much. Where I missed just happened to be in some bad spots. After having played the course I think I’d hit a good amount of fairways next time.

Played a practice round yesterday to try to find my swing again. @jbuck31 hooked me up with a stiff flex Helium and it made a big difference. It plays an inch shorter than mine but I didn’t see much loss of distance. Maybe 5yds at the most. My dispersion tightened up big time.

All in all I’m still very happy with the driver. I’m never gonna be the longest hitter but it’s as long for me as anything I’ve played. And I know what to expect out of it and what my misses are going to be so I have a ton of confidence in it

Ugh.

My bag fell off my home courses jankety ass carts (funnily enough the. Ew carts arrive today) because the strap failed and the Hogan took the brunt of it. It’s pretty battered.

Going to have to take a closer look at the head tonight to make sure I didn’t crack it before I work with it any more. I do have some initial numbers I can talk about though this afternoon.

Not at low spinning as I was expecting for me given a lot of the talk in the thread, hovering right in that 2800-2900 range for me in the 10.5 head with the Tensei Blue.

Ugh.

My bag fell off my home courses jankety ass carts (funnily enough the. Ew carts arrive today) because the strap failed and the Hogan took the brunt of it. It’s pretty battered.

Going to have to take a closer look at the head tonight to make sure I didn’t crack it before I work with it any more. I do have some initial numbers I can talk about though this afternoon.

Not at low spinning as I was expecting for me given a lot of the talk in the thread, hovering right in that 2800-2900 range for me in the 10.5 head with the Tensei Blue.

That's no good man

After watching the Hot Melt video, great stuff btw, I was wondering: with the GS53 Driver and many describing how it seems kind of unforgiving on toe strikes (experienced this during my demo as well with huge unplayable/uncharacteristic missed right) I wonder if some hot melt in the toe wouldn't help, maybe?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

After watching the Hot Melt video, great stuff btw, I was wondering: with the GS53 Driver and many describing how it seems kind of unforgiving on toe strikes (experienced this during my demo as well with huge unplayable/uncharacteristic missed right) I wonder if some hot melt in the toe wouldn't help, maybe?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Hot melt isn’t going to alter the design of the club, it simply adds weight and changes the sound. To make any legitimate effect on head bias you would have to put a LOT of hot melt. Even then, any changes would be minor.

Cautiously optimistic but I had a really good day at the course today with my GS53. I have struggled mightily to find a way to make it work. Saturday, I kind of alternated between my Cleveland and the GS53 and actually had a few solid drives, some bad ones too, but enough to intrigue me. So today my brother called and was able to get out of the house for 18. I know he's not overly concerned about score so I threw the GS on the bag. Hole #1, okay results, not great. #2 really good (long & straight), #5 great (long & straight), #6 great (long & straight), #8 great (long with little fade), #10 right and OB in a tight fairway. #12 great (long & straight) #13 short and a little right, #16 great (long & straight) #17 OB, #18 Fantastic long, straight and right down the middle. Easily the longest drive I've had with this club. GPS shows I had 121 left on 457yd hole. I'm not counting anything before I get multiple outings with it. However, it's a welcome change to say the least!

Cautiously optimistic but I had a really good day at the course today with my GS53. I have struggled mightily to find a way to make it work. Saturday, I kind of alternated between my Cleveland and the GS53 and actually had a few solid drives, some bad ones too, but enough to intrigue me. So today my brother called and was able to get out of the house for 18. I know he's not overly concerned about score so I threw the GS on the bag. Hole #1, okay results, not great. #2 really good (long & straight), #5 great (long & straight), #6 great (long & straight), #8 great (long with little fade), #10 right and OB in a tight fairway. #12 great (long & straight) #13 short and a little right, #16 great (long & straight) #17 OB, #18 Fantastic long, straight and right down the middle. Easily the longest drive I've had with this club. GPS shows I had 121 left on 457yd hole. I'm not counting anything before I get multiple outings with it. However, it's a welcome change to say the least!

That's awesome to hear that you had a better day with it. I know you have been wanting it to work, and hopefully this is a step in the right direction!

Back