Iron Distances off the tee v off the fairway

Tenputt

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 4.5
How much distance variance do you see, if any, with your irons off the tee compared to out of the fairway? I am not talking when you hit it fat. Simply a clean strike from each position...

For me, generally 5-10 yds longer off the tee box.

maybe about a half club difference when struck well. but with long irons, i'll see 1 or even 2 clubs difference because i just swing more confidently when teed up, and i strike it in a lower spin area of the face.

1/2 club generally speaking so 5-7 yards.

I don’t really see any difference. Tee box teed up just helps with clean strike. But a clean strike from the fairway is the same

Maybe 2-3 yards at most. If I am 150 in fairway or tee I am grabbing the same club.

None really, if anything off the tee I have a slightly higher chance of over swinging and pulling/pushing a shot with the ball being up on a tee. Where distance might vary off the tee vs. fairway is more with the longer clubs wood/hybrid.

Maybe 2-3 yards at most. If I am 150 in fairway or tee I am grabbing the same club.

Same. If it's a 7i off the deck, then it's a 7i off the tee. If I find I'm doing a little better off the tee that day, then I'll adjust clubs as needed. But generally I use the same yardages either way.

If I am not using a long iron I don't even use a tee on the tee box. I find sometimes when I do I get a tad under them and come up short. 6i and up I tee it up but very low and don't really see much difference in it unless I just flat out hit it pure and then it might be significantly long.

I don't tee my ball up on par 3's very often. So, there really is no difference in distance for me.

I play the yardages the same for the wedges and short irons, allowing for graduated drop off in the long irons. A tee'd 5-iron is at least 10 yards longer for me.

I'm about 5yds longer off the tee with my irons.

I don’t think I hit it any longer from the tee box than I do from the fairway....however, I don’t use a tee with my irons on the tee box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm usually about the same however I do have more confidence hitting off the tee than the deck.

I don’t really see any difference. Tee box teed up just helps with clean strike. But a clean strike from the fairway is the same

Same for me, I never really notice anymore distance off a tee.

Usually about 1/2 - a full club longer hitting a good one when it’s tee’d up.

I gain more height off the tee if anything but not much in distance.

I'd say anywhere between a half to a full club longer. Really depends on the club for me.

I am finding the responses interesting. For most of my golfing life, I felt that my iron distances were the same whether off the tee or fairway, but with the advent of the “players distance iron,” I think I need 1/2 club less off the tee as I would pull from the fairway. Like some of the other responses, I feel that the help from the tee must reduce the spin just enough to yield that extra 5 to 7 yards. I was beginning to think I was imagining it, but many of the responses here confirm my own experience.

No distance changes for me between the two

Not enough of a difference for me to consider a different club.

Same distances for me. I look to swing the same, with the same power regardless of where I am. If its a clean strike, the ball goes about the same distance either off the tee or off the fairway.

Distances are similar for me with my normal swing. But it is much easier for me to get extra distance from an iron off the tee vs the fairway, when going at it more aggressively.

I am finding the responses interesting. For most of my golfing life, I felt that my iron distances were the same whether off the tee or fairway, but with the advent of the “players distance iron,” I think I need 1/2 club less off the tee as I would pull from the fairway. Like some of the other responses, I feel that the help from the tee must reduce the spin just enough to yield that extra 5 to 7 yards. I was beginning to think I was imagining it, but many of the responses here confirm my own experience.

I haven't done any testing to confirm it, but I assume most people have an AoA closer to neutral (or even positive) off a tee. I'd wager a guess that impacts this calculus

Back