Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 Wedge Review

These wedges are working for me. Need to get the putter going!!!

Struggled a little bit with the wedges yesterday on the course. Still getting used to the bounce, been digging before striking the ball. When I do strike the ball well they perform great. I do really like the feel and look at address.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

At the Bridgestone event this past weekend i had to use these wedges plenty. The definitely have some spin to them and check up immediately if not spin back on some shots and that is something I don't normally do. I still struggled on the this tight lie fairways and digging in front of the ball which caused me to fat quite a few shots. I know this is my swing and when i connect with the ball the wedges perform great. I am used to playing with wedges with more bounce and not such a sharp leading edge. It is still going to take some work to get them all the way dialed in but going to keep plugging away as you can't deny the results when struck properly.

So had a few issues with the wedges yesterday and I fully blame it on course conditions combined with my swing. I could not hit a good shot with these yesterday. The course was dry and some places a bit thin (this course is not in great shape but I was subbing for a guy in his Moose League) and every wedge shot IU hit would just slide right under the ball and made for basically a chunked shot. Has anyone else found this to be true with dry/hard conditions? I have a sweeping swing so the grind may be problematic for me when it gets dry but I'll have to work with them and see.

So had a few issues with the wedges yesterday and I fully blame it on course conditions combined with my swing. I could not hit a good shot with these yesterday. The course was dry and some places a bit thin (this course is not in great shape but I was subbing for a guy in his Moose League) and every wedge shot IU hit would just slide right under the ball and made for basically a chunked shot. Has anyone else found this to be true with dry/hard conditions? I have a sweeping swing so the grind may be problematic for me when it gets dry but I'll have to work with them and see.

I’m surprised you saw this in dry hard conditions.
Everyone’s
Swing is different though

I love these wedges, put these to test on a few pristine courses the past 5 days or so the check on these for inside 100 shots are amazing. I have never been able to attack the flag with wedges as mine usually hop skip and roll out. Using the XW-1 I have to keep telling myself to be aggressive at the hole especially 56/60 for green side and bunker shots because they have been ending up short. I struggle with the shots from the fairway and tight lies being a big chunky, but working that spin is amazeballs.

I’m surprised you saw this in dry hard conditions.
Everyone’s
Swing is different though

I was too honestly, but I have a very sweeping swing. I usually come in behind the ball a bit and these were just gliding right under the ball. I need to practice more and use the bounce to my advantage in these situations. We've had a lot of rain this spring/early summer and they performed GREAT. Now that things are drying out and courses that aren't maintained as well get hard and fast I will have to adjust my play style. I'm sure after the third time it happened it also became a bit mental on my part. I was playing a C Grind callaway wedge that worked great in these conditions but as it got wet or better plush fairways that C grind would dig where these XW-1 wedges perform great. I know it's a big combo of conditions paired with my swing, just curious if anyone else ran into that.

As I've gotten more comfortable with these wedges, I have grown to REALLY like them. They are very easy to hit, provide a nice high flight, and are able to generate solid stopping power into the green. I hit a ton of great wedge shots this past weekend off of my partner's drives and it really gave me a ton of confidence standing over almost any shot. I know for a lot of people (myself included) we look to bigger brands and don't venture far away from what we know, but I would highly recommend these to anyone looking for wedges.

Played another round with these wedges today and was striking them well. Sometimes I am still surprised by the stopping power

Another a round with these and once I figured out how to attack the flags, boy are these sweet. The other members in my grouping were very impressed and were able to replicate. These things definitely spin and work wonderfully!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I played this AM and had a fun round with the wedges. I added a 1/2" to the length and wonder if this partially explains the easy transition. These wedges are really comfortable to swing and I appreciate the turf interaction. I thought there would be a bag battle between my Apex AW and the 50*. The XW-1 50* is firmly in the bag, as of today.

I played this AM and had a fun round with the wedges. I added a 1/2" to the length and wonder if this partially explains the easy transition. These wedges are really comfortable to swing and I appreciate the turf interaction. I thought there would be a bag battle between my Apex AW and the 50*. The XW-1 50* is firmly in the bag, as of today.
I see nerdy has sold his wedges as well... Seems like a case of big brands "marketing" vs actual results...numbers and performance never lie!

I see nerdy has sold his wedges as well... Seems like a case of big brands "marketing" vs actual results...numbers and performance never lie!

@PETE379 mentioned last night hes thinking his Vokes might have been beat out of the bag for these.......

I always have a rough go when I first change clubs, so it wasn't instant, but after about 5 rounds I knew the Clevelands were in trouble. The more I played these, the more I liked them and after seeing them hold up at Firestone, there was no reason to keep the other ones. Very happy with the performance of these wedges. Quite surprised honestly how easy it was to let the other ones go. I have total confidence in these wedges.

@PETE379 mentioned last night hes thinking his Vokes might have been beat out of the bag for these.......

That is correct. The Vokeys have taken a back seat.

Have played a few rounds with my new wedges since the event. ball flight and wayyyyy more spin. I think I’m starting to get used to them now and so far there has been zero drop-off in performance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bent my 50* wedge to 51* in an attempt to lessen the yardage gap to the 56*. However, the 50*/51* distance is coming up a bit short and this created a gap to my pitching wedge. I'm going to investigate bending it back to 50* or 49*. I really want this club to predictably go 115-120 yards.

The two biggest pluses are ball flight (height) and top line visual at address.

I'm working on hitting down which produces the desired height and spin, but the cost is yardage.

The XW-1 wedges continue to meet/exceed performance expectations. During a recent trip to the Lake Tahoe area a group of THPers played Edgewood. This course hosts a celebrity event and #17 is an iconic par 3. The scorecard yardage is 140 but it measured ~125 yards when we played plus there was a reasonable tailwind. The elevation is ~6,300 feet so I used my 50* wedge and put my Tour B RX about 15-18' below the pin (missed the birdie putt :D). These wedges look sharp at address.

Here's some video of a group of THPers playing the hole described above.

Last edited:
Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 Wedge Review

The XW-1 wedges continue to meet/exceed performance expectations. During a recent trip to the Lake Tahoe area a group of THPers played Edgewood. This course hosts a celebrity event and #17 is an iconic par 3. The scorecard yardage is 140 but it measured 135 yards when we played plus there was a reasonable tailwind. The elevation is ~6,300 feet so I used my 50* wedge and put my Tour B RX about 15-18' below the pin (missed the birdie putt :D). These wedges look sharp at address.

Really like that wedge, solid on that hole.

Cool looking hole. Great views the Lake looks such a chill spot

The XW-1 wedges continue to meet/exceed performance expectations. During a recent trip to the Lake Tahoe area a group of THPers played Edgewood. This course hosts a celebrity event and #17 is an iconic par 3. The scorecard yardage is 140 but it measured ~125 yards when we played plus there was a reasonable tailwind. The elevation is ~6,300 feet so I used my 50* wedge and put my Tour B RX about 15-18' below the pin (missed the birdie putt :D). These wedges look sharp at address.

Same for me. I was somewhat skeptical about how these wedges would perform as they aren’t one of “the big boy brands” but after a few rounds I was impressed and I continue to be each time out. Precious Cleveland wedges have been sold and I’m happy to play these for quite some time going forward.

I think if people can give them a fair shake they will walk away as surprised as I was.

Here are some photos related to comments posted above. The clubs are XW-1 & Apex CF16 AW (both are 50*).

AW full shots are about 5 yards longer plus there’s typically more rollout. The XW-1 definitely stops quicker. The newer and different grooves on the XW-1 could be the primary reason for the difference. The thin top line of the XW-1 looks great behind the ball.

210187693a4f7a930ab1ed029dd23d21.jpg

965a58da7553e99c888f1bc48ddf5c80.jpg

598138d2a971a10e4244ff9dd93343af.jpg

Got out to play another round with these today and they are working well for me now. Had an issue with fatting them early on but getting way better. I absolutely love the 58, it save me many times today putting it within 5 feet of the whole on several approach shots. They really are great wedges

djt311;n8873990 said:
Got out to play another round with these today and they are working well for me now. Had an issue with fatting them early on but getting way better. I absolutely love the 58, it save me many times today putting it within 5 feet of the whole on several approach shots. They really are great wedges

That’s awesome. Love when I have a club that I know will save me.

I got to hit and mess around with @PETE379's this past weekend. Here are my thoughts:

Aesthetically initially I like the clean looks of them but I think they can be a little cleaner especially without the "Biting Rail Milled" stamping. Also I think the Tour B logo on the sole is something to just get clogged with crap. It shouldn't effect a shot by any means but as a guy that always keeps his clubs clean after shots this would drive me crazy having to brush out crap out from there all the time.

As far as feel, I thought they felt really good. They are pretty soft. Not the softest "bladed" wedge out there but they do feel nice. They look great over the ball except the sharp edge by the hosel. When you open the blade up to me it really exposes it and screams hosel rocket. I put a couple other brands next to it after I noticed it and they were much "softer" and not as pronounced. Im not going to get into a "these spin like crazy" bit because they are new wedges so they are going to spin a ball fine which they do but that's expected.

I havnt looked at the specs from Bridgestone but I assume they offer more bounce options? I didn't think the bounce was bad on his, but I would of liked more as his has a little to much relief for me.

Over all I would give them 3.5 out of 5

But I do know he is liking them and he hit some fantastic shots this past weekend.

Back