Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 Wedge Review

2BFAST;n8874292 said:
I got to hit and mess around with @PETE379's this past weekend. Here are my thoughts:

Aesthetically initially I like the clean looks of them but I think they can be a little cleaner especially without the "Biting Rail Milled" stamping. Also I think the Tour B logo on the sole is something to just get clogged with crap. It shouldn't effect a shot by any means but as a guy that always keeps his clubs clean after shots this would drive me crazy having to brush out crap out from there all the time.

As far as feel, I thought they felt really good. They are pretty soft. Not the softest "bladed" wedge out there but they do feel nice. They look great over the ball except the sharp edge by the hosel. When you open the blade up to me it really exposes it and screams hosel rocket. I put a couple other brands next to it after I noticed it and they were much "softer" and not as pronounced. Im not going to get into a "these spin like crazy" bit because they are new wedges so they are going to spin a ball fine which they do but that's expected.

I havnt looked at the specs from Bridgestone but I assume they offer more bounce options? I didn't think the bounce was bad on his, but I would of liked more as his has a little to much relief for me.

Over all I would give them 3.5 out of 5

But I do know he is liking them and he hit some fantastic shots this past weekend.

Good review

The logo on the sole doesn't bother me but im not near as OCD as you. I do agree on the biting rail milled stamping though, im not a big fan of it. It would really clean it up without that. I am liking the feel of them, that's my biggest green light these. I didn't notice leading edge by the hosel until you said something but I don't open the blade much or at all as you know so this doesn't bother me. And yes I put up some dirtyyyyyyyy shots this past weekend with these lol

I’m probably closer to 2BFAST regarding OCD (we like clean clubs and organization ) but the Tour B on the sole is a non-issue.

Agree with “Biting Rail Milled” stamping comment. Seems like every company wants to convey a unique groove message. They could use the real estate for custom stamping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vortex;n8874684 said:
I’m probably closer to 2BFAST regarding OCD (we like clean clubs and organization ) but the Tour B on the sole is a non-issue.

I cant say I don't like it......but I just don't want to have to clean it out all the time. That's all me

2BFAST;n8874772 said:
I cant say I don't like it......but I just don't want to have to clean it out all the time. That's all me

I've put these through a lot of rounds since the event, most of the time they do not get much build up in the Tour B on the bottom, I have noticed a few times that they did though and to your point that is a bit of a visual turn off. However, I like they way these work for me enough that I'm willing to overlook it. I like to keep my clubs clean, but maybe it's not as much of a concern for me as others.

I've had plenty of swing issues to work through but I haven't found the sharp edge near the hosel to be an issue. I've hoseled my fair share of wedges in the past so I feel confident in saying that hasn't been a problem for me as yet. My biggest issue right now is leaving them just a bit short of the green. We've been pretty dry and we're getting plenty of roll out so that's more of a fear/swing issue. I'm still really happy with them for now and hopefully that will continue.

Currently on a heater (ref: gambling def) with my wedges and loving it. Three green side chip-ins this weekend for birdie...2 with the 56* and 1 with the 60*. Hope the streak continues for a while. :D

Vortex;n8879993 said:
Currently on a heater (ref: gambling def) with my wedges and loving it. Three green side chip-ins this weekend for birdie...2 with the 56* and 1 with the 60*. Hope the streak continues for a while. :D

Nice!!!!!

Im currently have a great time with mine. No chip ins like you lol but enjoying them.

The performance of these continues to impress me. I can honestly say that I thought they’d lack a bit from other more recognizable wedge brands. But, if anything, they’ve surpassed my expectations in feel, sound, spin, distance, look....basically everything. They’ll be staying in the bag for quite a while I suspect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree these wedges are as good as any i have ever used, only thing for me because i am not the best ball striker i could use a little more bounce some times for better turf interaction but i keep plugging away with them and continue to improve with them.

djt311;n8891094 said:
i could use a little more bounce some times for better turf interaction but i keep plugging away with them and continue to improve with them.

Agree, a little more bounce for a little more pop would be great. None the less, they are very good wedges.

Wedges have continued to shine for me. I hit several pitch shots this past weekend from 20-60 yards and these were dialed in. They have firmly planted themselves in my bag and I don't see them coming out for quite some time.

5 up and down par saves today. 56* & 60* wedges, RXS ball and Odyssey Marxman putter. Need to improve my iron shots but it's nice to have short game support.

There might have been a bunker malfunction on #16 but let's not dwell on the negative.

Another fun day for the short game. Too bad the driver didn't work better or it could have been a PR kind of day. My putter was on fire but lots of credit goes to the wedges. I put two sand shots to within 3' of the cup plus several more nice chips off the tight lies and from the wet, juicy, long blue grass rough near the greens. Also very happy with how the RX performed on a cool, rainy, and windy day. We didn't have ideal scoring conditions and that makes the equipment performance more impressive from my POV.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com\/20190908\/3642b03af98102dd84f9df725f1f0348.jpg"}[/IMG2]

2 months in with these wedges and a ton of rounds and there is zero let down in spin performance. Played today with jdtox and let him hit a few.....wonder if he has any initial comments.

PKorf;n8905100 said:
2 months in with these wedges and a ton of rounds and there is zero let down in spin performance. Played today with jdtox and let him hit a few.....wonder if he has any initial comments.

Uhhh these wedges are good! Different shafts than my current wedges so a bit lighter... which surprisingly I liked... but talk about tons of spin!

They were so fun to hit. Didn’t take any full swings with them but man I could almost get the ball to stop immediately on pitch shots and they feel great.

North Carolina is a challenging location for testing your wedge game because of the grass types and tight lies. My results (for this trip) are a mixed bag, but today was fun.

We played 36. On the final hole, my driver faded right and got blocked by a tree. I used a 6-iron to put the ball back into position with my second shot. My 3rd was a 40-yard pitch.

I decided to use the XW 60* wedge and clip it off the tight lie. I felt good about the shot and my playing partners were standing on the green.

I clipped the ball and it tracked straight for the pin. It landed about a foot from the pin and bounced into it. The ball climbed up the stick for a little bit due to the spin before dropping straight down into the cup for a birdie. Fun part is I chipped-in on #15 too. ??

The Bridgestone wedges continue to impress.

I really enjoy these wedges. I was a bit skeptical at first coming from the Cleveland RTX 3, but after about 2 rounds I really started liking these and the switch was easier than I expected. Having played these for a few months now, I look forward to starting 2020 with them in my bag and have no intentions of looking for replacements for next season.

How many of you are still playing these wedges? I picked the 56 up a month or two ago and while I have only used it a few times I really like it. I am thinking of adding the 60 since I have found a great deal on it ($70.00), but wanted to see if y'all were still liking them before I pulled the trigger. @Nerdy_81 @Vortex @jdtox @PKorf

How many of you are still playing these wedges? I picked the 56 up a month or two ago and while I have only used it a few times I really like it. I am thinking of adding the 60 since I have found a great deal on it ($70.00), but wanted to see if y'all were still liking them before I pulled the trigger. @Nerdy_81 @Vortex @jdtox @PKorf

These wedges haven’t left my bag since the day they went in. Spinniest wedges I’ve ever gamed. That’s including Titleist, Mizuno, Cleveland. I’d strongly recommend them at that price point!

I'm gaming the XW-1 56* and 60*. These wedges are fantastic and $70 is an outstanding price. I use the 60* for shots of ~60 yards or less. However, my favorite place is from the super-thick blue grass around the greens at my home course. These tricky touch shots are doable with the 60*.

Last edited:
I enjoyed the little time I got with @PETE379 's wedges. They are great on the eyes, feel is good. Like mentioned for the price point they are really a huge bang for the buck.

Still in the bag and like Paul said, they aren'y going anywhere anytime soon. Very happy with the performance I've seen out of these.

I still have the 54 and 58 in my bag, they are truly good wedges.

Turns out that the XW wedges I found were the previous model. 2017 I believe. And I could hardly find any reviews anywhere on them so not going to make that purchase. I still am considering the 2019 version although the price is a whole lot more. LOL

Turns out that the XW wedges I found were the previous model. 2017 I believe. And I could hardly find any reviews anywhere on them so not going to make that purchase. I still am considering the 2019 version although the price is a whole lot more. LOL
This one?

bridgestone-tour-b-xw-1-black-oxide-wedge-2c3.jpg

My 52° is this version. It's good.

This one?

View attachment 8920224

My 52° is this version. It's good.

That is the one, but in the chrome finish. I actually have the 56. I forgot I had it. :banghead: I like it a lot, but wanted to get some more consistency in all my wedges in regards to flight, shaft, feel, etc. so I ended up going a different direction and getting new 56 and 50 degree wedges to match my 52.

Back