Contest and Live Update Thread: 2019 Bridgestone Championship

Vortex;n8874663 said:
What clubs did you order?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully something with rebar in it for the shafts, lol!

JDax;n8596642 said:
So many questions?

Gaming Top Flight at a Bridgestone Event is just Smiter doing Smiter things...

Personalized Top Flight Balls is another Money Move...

The banning mention is another nice touch...

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com\/20190712\/45faf5004a5ddebfc8de4b3bce018bc3.gif"}[/IMG2]

Just to clarify, haha, those aren’t just Top Flights they’re Top Flight Tour Urethane. Not a terrible ball and I got them for less than 10.00 a dozen, personalized.

I absolutely didnt play them during the event, just handed them out to folks PRIOR to the event.

There is a reward as someone mentioned but it’s if someone finds one naturally, not if I hand it out:)

The Bridgestone TourB RX is so far superior for me than the Top Flight it’s not even comparable. They are a good ball for the money, and since I outfit 3 children golfers, I’m a little tight when it comes to how much I’ll generally spend on balls for the sprayers. My middle son plays the TourB XS in competition, and he’s played the same sleeve for 5 rounds now so it’s a good investment for him to play the best ball for him. Even me, I’ll start with a sleeve of TourB RX and once they’re gone my round is probably toast anyways, so I’ll switch to something more appropriate for me to spray into the woods or a lake-like the Top Flights:)

During the event itself I was so lost day 1 that I dang near lost a dozen balls, but they were all Bridgestones. Day two I “only” lost two, both on 18. There was no reward for the swing I showed up with there for hole 18, only risk.

Still had the golfing time of my life and I appreciate everything the hosts did for us to make it an amazing time. It was super to meet everyone and I hope to golf with everyone again someday. For those on the fence about entering an event, don’t be. Enter every single one you can. It’s truly a once in a lifetime type experience, and they run them all the time here!

Edit: Admit JDax, you want one of those Top Flights too. It’s ok:)

Last edited:
PS-sorry for the delay in bringing up the old thread. As many of you have seen my life changed drastically after the event and I haven’t had a chance to go back through the event thread yet. I am going to try to in the next few days so I may have more to comment on if that’s ok.

JDax;n8597207 said:
Smiter is the Hero that we need, but don’t deserve...

Lol! I failed epically at the event. I somehow didn’t catch that we were being fitted after dinner and had a beverage above what I should have. In fairness to me I had just been diagnosed and put on medication. Later found out that I shouldnt drink on that cocktail of meds. Upsets me some because I was smart enough to ask the doc if there was anything I shouldn’t do such as drink while taking that medicine. He said he didn’t see how it would interact with it.

Then I was put on another medicine to control the side effects from the primary medicine. dumba** here didn’t ask about that one and it 100% shouldn’t be taken with alcohol. I hope to beat this and get into another THP event as I fear reading ahead much, but I am most decidedly NOT a hero and probably made an ass of myself. I could barely swing a club at the ball fitting and damn near missed the ball a couple times Day one. Yikes!

I hope i didnt let the THP community down too much. I know I let my partner down as I played like a 20, at least day one. Day two I sucked slightly less, very slightly but I at least contributed and didn’t leave him in bad shape in Alt Shot.

Bottom line, THP events are just awesomeness. I’d have never put my name in the hat had I known I was ill, but it was fanstastic from playing with Roomie, Pardner, and Vortex on Thursday until I was driving home Sunday afternoon.

Smiter;n8882329 said:
Lol! I failed epically at the event. I somehow didn’t catch that we were being fitted after dinner and had a beverage above what I should have. In fairness to me I had just been diagnosed and put on medication. Later found out that I shouldnt drink on that cocktail of meds. Upsets me some because I was smart enough to ask the doc if there was anything I shouldn’t do such as drink while taking that medicine. He said he didn’t see how it would interact with it.

Then I was put on another medicine to control the side effects from the primary medicine. dumba** here didn’t ask about that one and it 100% shouldn’t be taken with alcohol. I hope to beat this and get into another THP event as I fear reading ahead much, but I am most decidedly NOT a hero and probably made an ass of myself. I could barely swing a club at the ball fitting and damn near missed the ball a couple times Day one. Yikes!

I hope i didnt let the THP community down too much. I know I let my partner down as I played like a 20, at least day one. Day two I sucked slightly less, very slightly but I at least contributed and didn’t leave him in bad shape in Alt Shot.

Bottom line, THP events are just awesomeness. I’d have never put my name in the hat had I known I was ill, but it was fanstastic from playing with Roomie, Pardner, and Vortex on Thursday until I was driving home Sunday afternoon.

They only thing we care about, is that you had a great time and represented this community the way it deserves with the company. You did just fine.

Nerdy_81;n8597384 said:

Might have been interesting had I not dang near missed the ball every time, lol.

Very anticlimatic, and again my apologies to the board! I also probably owe JB 100.00 although “technically “ I was fit into the RX at my insistence, lol. CHS was probably greater than ball speed....

I do have a couple unexplained sky marks on my driver after that night.

Event advice, pay attention so you don’t miss something important like a late night ball fitting and make a fool of yourself by arriving half, nay, fully loaded.

JB;n8882336 said:
They only thing we care about, is that you had a great time and represented this community the way it deserves with the company. You did just fine.

Thanks! I appreciate that as my mind was a world away at the time. Stupid medicine was really messing with my memory at that point. So much so that I had to ask someone why you handed me a dollar at lunch on Saturday. That’s pretty sad.

I should NOT have drank anything while on it which I’ve since learned.

Well, I’ve never claimed to be smart. Half way intelligent but not smart.

I am am very grateful for the experience, so thank you THP and Bridgestone! Once I kick this illnesses ass I’ll resume trying to get into everything I can again, and I’ll learn from my mistakes.

Now, I’ll continue to go back through this thread and hope there is no more dumba** behavior from me, lol. I’m not real confident of that, but I am hopeful:)

LLIB;n8598170 said:
That blue hat is sweet

Ha! We must be of the same vintage. My golfer son says I look like a train engineer in it but I JUST.... CANT.... STOP.... Wearing it!

It rocks. But only if Metallica kicks ass and New Kids on the block are a bunch of , lol.

Hes stole the other two hats anyways, I like that one and he ain’t getting it. He has played the same Bridgestone TourB XS for 6 straight rounds now. Hell, I lost 9 RX’s day one alone (in all fairness, I was so all over the place that it was a quick search and I may have found half of them if it had mattered-all hail the Pardner!!)

The kid is in high school golf and on his 8th hole today he hit the cart path. On his 9th hole he was shaking his head on the tee. After the round I asked him about it and he said he thought it should have went straight but ended up in the cabbage on the left. Can’t talk to him during the round but I was pretty sure the ball was used up, lol. It was. I rarely play the same ball for 6 holes let alone 6 rounds. Investing in the best balls for him is an easy no brainer. He can make a sleeve last the entire season.

For a spray and pray guy like me, it’s still an easy decision. His is the XS-mine is the RX. But even knowing that I may lose a few the stupid grin that it puts on my face when I hit one with a bad strike and it ends up in better than I could have dreamed shape based on contact, is well worth it for me. I still can’t get over hitting one high on the face (I’m not talking an 1/8th of an inch, I’m talking just shy of a sky mark) on a shorter par 5 into the wind and having PW in for my second and then hitting that pin high, it turns that negative driver spin that balloons most premium balls down to manageable.

The crazy thing is they have 4 tour level balls that will fit anyone. My son generally hits a low draw with a SS of about 110. The XS is his ball. For him they go like crazy and he can hold the bottom of a Pepsi bottle with it. The RX minimizes my craptastic high driver spin yet still sits right down right now with short irons.

The only thing I’m not a fan of is the cost. I’m a cheapskate as most have seen with my Gamer Urethane balls I went into the year with. The TourB RX is worth 4x the cost of them and then some. When I’m on it performs how I need it to. When I’m off, it really doesn’t matter.

My middle son has surpassed me as a golfer. At the every least in consistency, but overall he has too. His best isn’t equal to my best yet, but his average is better than my average. He had a sleeve of the “Version 1” ball, that’s as gently as I can put it and I don’t want to be mean, hell, my user name refleXted this ball for a long time. In fact they hAVe my second favorite X ball out there.

He played them side by side with the XS and the XS was the winner in every single category. They went further. They felt better. They stopped quicker. The results weren’t even close. Since he rarely loses one, he offered to trade them back to me for more of the XS’s that he knew I had.

The only thing that I’ll differ from Bridgestone is I don’t agree with their CHS as being the deciding factor on what ball to choose. Please don’t throw my ball speed numbers back at me from my ball fitting. I’m not sure how it didn’t register but a combo of good food, a good time, stupid medications, a drink or three too many, and stupidity somehow made me not realize that I’d be getting fit that night. I’m not sure it would have mattered as the stupid meds may have been enough alone for me to not think about nor remember it. I’m fighting an illness which isn’t fun but that’s neither here nor there and not important to this. What is is my CHS (I’ve since had it measured on an accurate monitor) still hovers in the 110-115 range. It’s not the balls fault that I can’t find the center of the club. I can’t remember what my best ball speed was at the fitting but it wasn’t good. I swung 6 or so times with a couple clubs, told them “sorry I suck” after not hitting anything anywhere near the center, and moved on.

If there are THP event regrets, that’s mine. I also have learned that current model year Walter Hagen (see? I showed up brand neutral) shirts are WAY too tight for this lard ass. Last years are fine but I can’t swing a club with the more current “fitted” versions. Not an excuse, an explanation. Throw that in with everything else and it’s not surprising I didn’t play nor hit well. I had several brand new ones so that I wouldn’t be the jerk that was wearing a competitors shirt, etc. They restrict my already limited (ha?) turn to the point where they’re not ok to golf in. Not an excuse but more clear thinking than I was then due to meds, I went to the range with one of them on and couldn’t hit a ball at all. Played the next day in a shirt that was conducive to moving how I need to move, and played an easy even par 9 (on a short and easy course).

Blah blah I type too much. Long story, I always have those, short-there is a Bridgestone TourB ball that is right for your game. Most hard swingers will be best fit into an X or XS, but that’s not a for sure rule. If you have control issues and fight bad driver spin, the RX may be hands down the best ball you’ve ever hit. To me it’s their workhorse in the lineup. I’ve had some bad contact shots that just go stupid far based on their wind fighting ability as well as them lowering driver spin a ton. If you routinely swing hard and can’t get your spin under 3k for driver, the RX is your ball. Don’t judge my numbers that are posted. I could barely make contact with the ball that night and throughout the event. When I do, I know that the RX is perfect for me. Bridgestone has 4 tour level balls that should fit everyone. I can’t think of another manufacture that comes close. 4 very different balls that everyone can be fit into. They have other options too, but this cheapskate will play the RX every round from here on forward. Despite it being in the premium category price wise, And oh yeah, it’ll be even better next year. That won’t suck:)

Ok boys and girls here it is came home to a nice little surprise on tues, 2 Bridgestone boxes were on my front porch the new sticks were finally here! Today was the first day out with em. Let's start with Bridgestone just in general they got everything just the way I asked for it I mean down to the last detail so impresses when I pulled out the clubs read the spec sheet and everything was built just the way I requested. So we headed to the range this afternoon odvisouly i already hit the wedges and knew if the driver, irons, and hybrid were anything like them it was gonna be alot of fun! Started with the 8 iron now I switched shafts from what I'm playing in my Mizunos so it took alittle getting used to couldnt really control the ball as well but I knew it was going to take some time I had these irons hard stepped 1x with the KBS 130g XS black shaft, yup a 2×4 just the way I like it. After 20 or so balls I finally got to where I could play my fade and control it, now I will say that the sweet spot isnt as big as my Mizunos but then again first time out with these clubs and totally diffrent shaft nothing more range time wont fix. I then went to the driver now WOW that is a fire stick! I knew it was gonna be cause I swung it up in Ohio the evening of the VIP dinner. So I pretty much knew what i.had coming there and it was spot on I had it tipped and 1 1/4" so again stiff as a board but I have the swing speed to compensate for it I would not recomend doing that unless ur fitted first. I went with the xD-5 with the Hzdrus 75g XS low spin shaft same shaft as in my G400. I was carrying the Bridgestone today 275 very easily and I hit it straighter than my G400, being tipped has alot to do with that so no complaints about the big stick at all. Now onto the hybrid I went with the tour Bxd-hH2 18 with the recoil fr 780 xs shaft tipped an inch. Not gonna like I'm struggling with that alot for some reason I can not get the ball up in the air alot of low liners but then again im not quiet uses to it as my callaway hybrid does not have a tipped shaft. All in all I'm very pleased with what I got the HF2 irons with the black shafts are a killer look! And the driver is an eye catcher as well the more I play and get the feel for these sticks the more reviews and comments I will make. One thing is for sure out of this whole experience the ball testing at the event impressed me so much the only ball in my bag is the Tour BX y'all seen the ball speed I picked up with it and I've played it ever since Ohio. The ball explodes off the driver, is smooth off irons and rolls awesome off the putter! Bridgestone thanks again for everything it was an experience I'll never forget! Stay tuned cause more updates to come

[No message]

Attachments

• photo36241.jpg
    photo36241.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • photo36242.jpg
    photo36242.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • photo36243.jpg
    photo36243.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • photo36244.jpg
    photo36244.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • photo36245.jpg
    photo36245.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • photo36246.jpg
    photo36246.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • photo36247.jpg
    photo36247.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
I wanna know what you guys think on the looks!

I think they clubs are looking good, I am sure once you get used to them and the shafts you will love them.

Looking good man! I’ve only had mine out once so far but I’m playing both days this weekend and will have these in play

PETE379;n8886023 said:
Ok boys and girls here it is came home to a nice little surprise on tues, 2 Bridgestone boxes were on my front porch the new sticks were finally here! Today was the first day out with em. Let's start with Bridgestone just in general they got everything just the way I asked for it I mean down to the last detail so impresses when I pulled out the clubs read the spec sheet and everything was built just the way I requested. So we headed to the range this afternoon odvisouly i already hit the wedges and knew if the driver, irons, and hybrid were anything like them it was gonna be alot of fun! Started with the 8 iron now I switched shafts from what I'm playing in my Mizunos so it took alittle getting used to couldnt really control the ball as well but I knew it was going to take some time I had these irons hard stepped 1x with the KBS 130g XS black shaft, yup a 2×4 just the way I like it. After 20 or so balls I finally got to where I could play my fade and control it, now I will say that the sweet spot isnt as big as my Mizunos but then again first time out with these clubs and totally diffrent shaft nothing more range time wont fix. I then went to the driver now WOW that is a fire stick! I knew it was gonna be cause I swung it up in Ohio the evening of the VIP dinner. So I pretty much knew what i.had coming there and it was spot on I had it tipped and 1 1/4" so again stiff as a board but I have the swing speed to compensate for it I would not recomend doing that unless ur fitted first. I went with the xD-5 with the Hzdrus 75g XS low spin shaft same shaft as in my G400. I was carrying the Bridgestone today 275 very easily and I hit it straighter than my G400, being tipped has alot to do with that so no complaints about the big stick at all. Now onto the hybrid I went with the tour Bxd-hH2 18 with the recoil fr 780 xs shaft tipped an inch. Not gonna like I'm struggling with that alot for some reason I can not get the ball up in the air alot of low liners but then again im not quiet uses to it as my callaway hybrid does not have a tipped shaft. All in all I'm very pleased with what I got the HF2 irons with the black shafts are a killer look! And the driver is an eye catcher as well the more I play and get the feel for these sticks the more reviews and comments I will make. One thing is for sure out of this whole experience the ball testing at the event impressed me so much the only ball in my bag is the Tour BX y'all seen the ball speed I picked up with it and I've played it ever since Ohio. The ball explodes off the driver, is smooth off irons and rolls awesome off the putter! Bridgestone thanks again for everything it was an experience I'll never forget! Stay tuned cause more updates to come

Man, I wished those would of showed up while I was in town! Damn it!

For the record, Randy called me when these showed up and was absolutely gushing. Look forward to seeing his reviews and thoughts in the appropriate threads

Those clubs look awesome, I really like the look of the irons. I remember watching you murder ball after ball with that driver at the Bridgestone BBQ and thinking you needed that club in your life. Once you get the feel down on the other clubs I have no doubt they'll work just as well for you.

Stealth black assassins. Those are some sharp looking sticks. Did you not picture the hybrid because you were mad at it, lol?

Hoosiermess;n8886887 said:
Those clubs look awesome, I really like the look of the irons. I remember watching you murder ball after ball with that driver at the Bridgestone BBQ and thinking you needed that club in your life. Once you get the feel down on the other clubs I have no doubt they'll work just as well for you.

Thanks man. That was fun that night. Just posted my first thoughts in the irons thread.

Smiter;n8889353 said:
Stealth black assassins. Those are some sharp looking sticks. Did you not picture the hybrid because you were mad at it, lol?

Thanks. Yes they are. No, just didn't take one honestly but will soon.

Back