Contest and Live Update Thread: 2019 Bridgestone Championship

Made it home. Have some family time to catch up on tonight, but I’ll have a full write up coming tomorrow. Thanks to everyone for the congrats. The win is awesome for obvious reasons, but it’s secondary to everything else that took place this weekend. New friends, a ton of laughs, and memories I’ll have for a very long time.

Nothing beats THP events.

You did an awesome job this weekend man. Thanks for the fantastic updates, it was a great follow and another insane THP event!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was a fantastic event to follow along with. The guys made me feel like i was actually there with the ass kicking updates they provided! Well done by THP and Bridgestone for putting on a great show!

Congrats to Pete379 and Nerdy. Champions
Congrats Pete and Nerdy!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

You don’t do well with the early mornings lol

First the sandals, now the car.

Nerdy/Pete getting after yesterday- my dudes!!!

This event had been EPIC!

Awesome SWAG, night time ball fittings, VIP event with Couples Connor Sketches - Rocco Mediate’s strange

Best Ball Alt Shot is going to make today interesting

Have fun and play well lady and gentleman

Excited to see who takes it down (looking at you Nerdy Pete lol)

You are so right! I typically get more than 4 hours of sleep per night. Late evenings, short nights and early mornings are hard on a guy. Predicting 8+ hours of glorious sleep tonight.

Thanks for following along. It was a great trip. As you know, THP events are incredible and Bridgestone is a fantastic partner. Sure hope they do another event next year. Suggestion to new and old members plus lurkers, if they do another event; submit an entry! You can thank me later.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Sitting on the ground in KC waiting to get off the plane, what a great weekend had a blast made alot of great memories and Nerdy hella job bro thanks again THP experience I wont forget!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Such a fun event! THP and Bridgestone were great to us. Note to self in the future, pay more attention at the event so that you don’t arrive at a late night ball fitting with just one too many adult beverages in you, lol. Still fun and enlightening but it’s hard for the fitters to figure anything out when you can’t find the center of the club.

Played a lot of golf with my Pardner (djt311-Dan), Roomie (Hoosiermess-Darren), and Vortex-Dave. Super group of guys to play with. I wish I had a chance to come in playing closer to my HC but my golf season really starts right about now as I coach two baseball teams so I’ve played more golf this week than I have the rest of the season combined. So I know there’s no need for apologies but I definitely feel that I let my Pardner down. He and I were too busy having fun to much care but Saturday in particular it was pretty much a one man show starring Dan the Man! :) (side note, hope you get home soon, sucks when you’ve waited so long at the airport that you probably could have rented a car and got home in the same time-BTDT).

Thanks to PKorf for inviting us to play his private club on Friday, I always appreciate an invite to play a course that I wouldn’t normally get a chance to.

Thank you very much to GolferGal and JB for putting on events like this. The work that goes on behind the scenes has got to be crazy for every event that I’ve followed to go off so perfectly. Sorry JB for almost hitting you with that hybrid today! Oops! At least I yelled:)

Bridgestone puts out some super quality products which I’ll review more in the appropriate threads, and they’re staffed by excellent people (that will beat you down on the course, lol, as it should be). It was great getting to meet and golf with some of you. I’ve raved about the TourB RX for some time, but that glove? I’ve never played a round in 80* heat and not even thought of changing it. If you’re a 2+ glove a round guy, it deserves some checking out. Best glove I’ve used, hands down.

Before this gets overly long(er), just thanks to everyone. From the THP’ers I met to everyone else, this was the pinnacle golfing event that I’ve been a part of and I hope to meet you all again someday!

Nate/THP Forum name: Smiter (see? I paid attention to something:))

What a fantastic event! So happy for everyone who got to experience it. Some damn good golf played on a fine course too.

What a weekend. Obviously lots more to come but the Bridgestone people were phenomenal. I couldn’t have asked for a better partner in Pete (Randy). What I do worst at golf he does best. The drives he hit were jaw dropping. I knew after about 4 holes if we just kept it out of the trees and in front of us we had a really good shot. I didn’t think we’d do as well as we ended up doing but Pete brought the A game and had some broad shoulders that I sat on firmly more than once. The North Course was absolutely beautiful. Such a great experience. Lots to come!
Willllllllll!!!!!!! Congrats, man!

Sitting on the ground in KC waiting to get off the plane, what a great weekend had a blast made alot of great memories and Nerdy hella job bro thanks again THP experience I wont forget!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Congrats!!! I feel sorry for the balls you murder. LOL. We only live a couple hours apart and should tee it up sometime!

Recap #1. Friday

I can’t thank @JB, @GolferGal, @rehbirdie, and all the others at Bridgestone who made this weekend possible for us all.

Most of us THPers got together for a casual round Friday at Fox Meadows before the event officially kicked off which was really fun. It was pretty easy to tell right away that this was going to be a great group of guys. The first 9 I was paired up local THPer Gunner and we played with @PKorf and @GMan79. Everyone knows Paul is a great guy, but it was fun to meet Chris (who is also a great dude) and share some good laughs. Paul was steady eddy, Chris played pretty well, and I’m not afraid to admit I was slightly concerned about our teams’ chances at that point. The back 9 we played with @Smiter and @djt311. Nate and Dan were a ton of fun to play with. Smiter is a local Ohio guy, and Nate is from Minnesota, but I quickly learned we had a common bond as we discovered Barry Larkin was our favorite baseball player growing up. We had some good 90’s Reds conversation on the back 9. As we stepped on 10 tee and Smiter brings out the driver he had my full attention because we’ve all heard the stories and I was about to see the guy rip it. He hits a pretty solid one and I followed with one of my better ones, but with a blind landing area it was impossible to know where they ended up. When we get to the balls and I see I had him, it was pretty fun to give him a little jab. The back 9 I didn’t have much of a swing, so it was just about having fun and getting to know some new guys.

After the round, we all met up at the hotel and I was finally able to meet @Pete379 (Randy). I was checking in and this giant man comes up behind me and introduces himself. My eyes lit up and I told myself, if this dude can hit a ball like I had heard he could from a few who knew him, we might have a great chance. Spoiler alert—he can. We all hung out for a bit in our rooms during the afternoon as we prepared ourselves for what the weekend was going to hold.

After a few drinks in the lobby, we all then headed over to dinner where we met Adam, Zack, Elliot, Heather, James and a surprise visit from Dan Murphy himself. Dinner was amazing, as if there was every any doubt. I sat next to Adam and James and we shared some stories about Bridgestone, golf, other sports, and just life in general. The guys were open and honest about anything we talked about and it was just fun hear some of the stories they had. It was also pretty clear right away how seriously they were taking this competition (in a fun way). The trash talk was friendly, but it was there.

Not too long after we sat down at dinner, it was quickly announced that immediately following dinner, we were going to head over to Firestone and go inside Bridgestone’s performance center and do the ball fitting. I think we were all pretty excited about the news, but as dinner ran late, we started to wonder if this was actually going to happen. Sure enough the Bridgestone crew brought us over just after 10pm, where they had our swag waiting, and went through a full fitting process with each of us. It was after midnight by the time it wrapped up and I think every THPer will say how awesome that was for them to literally take the time out of their own night to do that for us. We were told to bring an 8 iron and our driver. The fittings started by James asking what we normally play and hitting about 10 shots with each club with that ball. Based on the numbers he was seeing, he then gave us a Bridgestone ball to hit, and for most of us it was the ball we ended up getting fit into. There were a couple who tried multiple balls, but most of us he had dialed in right from the start. It was really interesting to see everyone’s numbers and how one after another, each person improved with the Bridgestone balls from their normal gamers. We again hit about 10 shots each with the Bridgestone ball before going back to our normal gamer for a few at the end just to double check numbers. There wasn’t a single person who didn’t gain by switching to one of the Bridgestone offerings. We returned to the hotel around 1am with 2 dozen of the balls we were fit in to, 3 gloves, 3 hats, 3 ball markers, a backpack, a tumbler, a valuables pouch and a TON more knowledge than we left the hotel with.

That was fun to read and relive nerdy. Just remember what I told you. If you get caught on Live PD we need a THP call out and to always use the excuse, these aren’t my pants.

That was fun to read and relive nerdy. Just remember what I told you. If you get caught on Live PD we need a THP call out and to always use the excuse, these aren’t my pants.

It's a promise

I'm a little late but I wanted to jump in and share some thoughts about the weekend.

First and foremost I want to say thank you.

To JB and GolferGal for all you do in setting up these events, and daily on the forum as well. Without your efforts none of this would be possible.

To Bridgestone Golf, you guys were great all weekend and went over the top with the access you granted us, the time you spent with us, and the information you shared. This was truly a great weekend that I was fortunate enough to be involved in and I will remember the rest of my life.

Pkorf and Smiter, a special thanks to you guys for setting up the rounds on Thursday and Friday. Both were a lot of fun and I think the chance to meet most of the guys before the event helped to knock out some of the nerves we might have had starting out had we not had that opportunity.

As a first time participant, speaking only for myself of course, you see the list of swag and the course you're playing. The wow factor kicks in and you think, "This would be sooooo coool!!!!". It was, but what I didn't know, even though I had read others say it is that the golf (while awesome) and the stuff isn't close to the best part of the event. The memories of the people and conversations will live on far longer than the hats, clubs, or things included in the event. I may have been a bit too focused on soaking it in and listening to the conversations around me to truly jump in with questions but I very much enjoyed all of it.

Also a huge thank you to all of the participants and congrats to Pete379 and Nerdy81 for a well deserved win and an impressive score. That was some great golf out there guys! I didn't get the chance to play with you guys during the event but the energy and excitement you guys created was awesome.

Vortex, thanks for your steady presence on the course. You were a great partner during the event and the rounds before. I think our conversation before the alt shot portion of the event was key to us holding it together as well as we did. I wish I could have been more help but I really enjoyed playing with you.

djt311 and smiter, we played three of the rounds together and you guys were awesome. Definitely had a great time getting to know you.

Pete, Nerdy, Gman, Pkorf, you're all great guys and I hope we all get a chance to tee it up again sometime down the road.

If you haven't been in an event yet I would highly recommend trying to get in. When we talk about how much we like the guys involved and how much fun we have it is the honest truth. You get to meet other golfers who love the game and genuinely want to have fun on the course, and I think it's that commonality that leads to a comfort level you might not expect going in. I literally can't say enough good things about the people or the event to do either justice.

Oh, and before I forget, the course wasn't bad either lol. It was in great shape and was surprisingly playable. I couldn't guess what I would shoot there with my "A" game (pretty sure the water would still have some bite even when I'm playing my best) but it was a very fair course. I also might be in love with the greens too.

414885be3cdbfa5a13bf7b7e9c38db3b.jpg

Not covered in Hogan’s 5 Lessons...

Correct me if I’m wrong, but that board is all the way to the ground, no? :)

You just needed to pay for the 8 lesson pack. Unfortunately I’m lacking speed and getting through the ball, lots of excuses I could give, but I won’t. When I get the speed up and get through the ball, I won’t say it’s Pete379 impressive but I can put it out there.

I don't know why, but Goat Cheese Cavatelli sounds delicious....

It was amaze balls

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What do they think the biggest misconception Ams have in picking a ball?

I’d answer this, one way. I’d say my biggest misconception was that I had a clue what I was talking about and what was best for my game based on nothing at all. Basically I was taking Titleists word for it with no actual swing data. The ball was working great but it wasn’t optimized for my swing at all.

What brand clubs are being used for the fittings? Where can I buy that driver cover?

Pretty sure the driver cover was custom made from Sunfish

Doing this late at night feels like some covert military stuff! #BridgestoneBlackOps

Nerdy and I both said it felt like we snuck in somewhere we shouldn’t have been and just went kinda crazy. It was a pretty surreal experience and I think having late night, after hours is what made it even more special.

Do they have a cool code name they use in reference to their new revolutionary golf ball?

Negative.

I love these after hour updates!

My question is what is the best way for someone to determine which ball they should be using of they don't have the option of an in person ball fitting?

Their new fitting portal online. We will be getting a link for testing purposes soon I believe. It’s out there now but really is just in a beta testing phase

Is there anything in the current lineup that is comparable to the B330S?

Wish I had an answer for this. @jb or @rehbirdie ?

Wish I had an answer for this. @jb or @rehbirdie ?

Tour B XS.
Its longer than the B330-S though.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but that board is all the way to the ground, no? :)

You just needed to pay for the 8 lesson pack. Unfortunately I’m lacking speed and getting through the ball, lots of excuses I could give, but I won’t. When I get the speed up and get through the ball, I won’t say it’s Pete379 impressive but I can put it out there.

I think Hogan referred to this “board” as the swing plane...

Their new fitting portal online. We will be getting a link for testing purposes soon I believe. It’s out there now but really is just in a beta testing phase

12ea251792c5c1b3b2c1c789cab3d040.jpg

I went there and entered my sim numbers into the tool, and it spit out an recommended ball... Very Easy.

Back