Direct to consumer ball news....

Has there been a situation where a group was able to take off the logos of a set of different balls and did a blind test with a focus group?

I'm curious at what handicap level someone can distinguish which is which among the balls. So if you had someone hit 12 different balls with different clubs then do it again with an entire box. How many people could pick the same ball out they like the best. I think the sound of the ball would give it away. But it would relieve brand bias.

I don't know if I could. I think I could distinguish between a $40+ ball like Titleist, Callaway, etc vs a Vice but I don't know if I could distinguish between balls at the same price point or performance level. I would like to think my pitch shots are all the same and I could see how the ball reacts but that just isn't realistic. I think a scratch golfer can but the rest of us are just guessing. I saw a guy the other day who was playing one hole over and over again. Course was empty so he was being courteous asking if he could play the one hole with me. Told me he was testing the pairing up of a certain ball with a certain driver and wedges. That he didn't want to fire a whole bunch of new balls into the range just once. He played two balls off the tee. Duffed the first one 20 yards and sliced the second into trees. I mean seriously. I know there is sudden talk about ball fitting but there is a distinct handicap level you need to be at for ball fitting to make a difference.

Has there been a situation where a group was able to take off the logos of a set of different balls and did a blind test with a focus group?

I'm curious at what handicap level someone can distinguish which is which among the balls. So if you had someone hit 12 different balls with different clubs then do it again with an entire box. How many people could pick the same ball out they like the best. I think the sound of the ball would give it away. But it would relieve brand bias.

I don't know if I could. I think I could distinguish between a $40+ ball like Titleist, Callaway, etc vs a Vice but I don't know if I could distinguish between balls at the same price point or performance level. I would like to think my pitch shots are all the same and I could see how the ball reacts but that just isn't realistic. I think a scratch golfer can but the rest of us are just guessing. I saw a guy the other day who was playing one hole over and over again. Course was empty so he was being courteous asking if he could play the one hole with me. Told me he was testing the pairing up of a certain ball with a certain driver and wedges. That he didn't want to fire a whole bunch of new balls into the range just once. He played two balls off the tee. Duffed the first one 20 yards and sliced the second into trees. I mean seriously. I know there is sudden talk about ball fitting but there is a distinct handicap level you need to be at for ball fitting to make a difference.

I don't think so. We did a blind no logo test on a single ball a few years back and asked THPers to review. It was fun.

Back