Direct to consumer ball news....

Good questions. Let me reach out to see what I can learn and report back.

UPDATE: I have confirmed with Cut Golf the matte balls are all the same construction. The color differences are simply manufacturer preference to help with assembly sorting.

UPDATE: I have confirmed with Cut Golf the matte balls are all the same construction. The color differences are simply manufacturer preference to help with assembly sorting.

Did they say why the other 3 colors of the same ball all had the same color core vs the pink?

Did they say why the other 3 colors of the same ball all had the same color core vs the pink?

They surmised that it was due to the outer layer color, which different inner core colors could make look "weird."

The cover materials on golf balls are not necessarily opaque. When they are translucent, the underlying color can definitely influence the appearance of the outer color.

These were bought in the last few weeks and pulled straight out of my bag. Both balls with Triple Track (ERC and CSX) are made in USA

141682e5d1716880c97fa7dcb565f15a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Callaway has a golf ball plant in Massachusetts, along with Titleist.

Callaway has a golf ball plant in Massachusetts, along with Titleist.

I know. I posted a picture of the made in USA because someone else in the thread said that the Callaway boxes said that they are made in Taiwan. I don’t think any Callaway balls are made there and I know that the two boxes in my bag weren’t.

Pretty sure some of Callaway's cheaper models are sourced wholly or in part from Asia. Unless that has changed recently. Article from Supply Chain World three years ago (21 June 2016)

Pull quote...

Golf clubs are Callaway’s major product category, strongly supported by golf ball and accessories sales. Each product category is manufactured in different locations, but final distribution to customers occurs in a manner similar to golf clubs, Brothers notes.

For its golf balls – for which the company now claims a solid and growing No. 2 marketshare position in terms of sales – Callaway uses overseas factories to support domestic manufacturing. A factory in Chicopee, Mass., manufactures highly proprietary ball varieties such as multi-layer balls, while factories in China and Taiwan supply balls with simpler constructions. Overseas factories also provide cores for many of the company’s balls, which are then sent to Chicopee for final assembly. “Our golf balls come in several different designs and compositions, and the majority feature unique, proprietary elements that we strive to protect,” Brothers says.

that's a part of this that has irked me, but i'm not smart enough to answer my own question: if two balls have the same color core, is that proof that they're the same ball? is it not possible that the core composition is different, even if it's the same color? i honestly don't know, but simply cutting a ball open doesn't seem to be a very scientific way of definitively "proving" that two products are identical. admittedly, i don't consume that other site's content at all, so i haven't read whether they dug any deeper.

I agree with this comment, just because colour is the same proves very little. Now if the cores were sent to an independent lab for a thorough physical and chemical composition a d analysis and the results came back that they were identical, then you would have my ear. Additionally the same analysis would have to be done on the outer cores to confirm exact physical properties and chemical makeup. Otherwise saying 2 balls are identical just because the colour of the core is the same is ridiculous.

I have worked in multiple companies where we made similar but not 100% identical products for private label (store) brands. Each had slightly different makeup and that direction came from the buyer. I know China and some other countries have no respect for copyright so it wouldn’t surprise me if identical.

To me this is not big news. I would think Dean Snell would be rather irate if his balls were copied in all aspects and sold in the DTC market. He is a long time designer and certainly not the type to pick from a catalogue.

Pretty sure some of Callaway's cheaper models are sourced wholly or in part from Asia. Unless that has changed recently.
I stand corrected. But I still don’t believe that any ChromeSoft are made in Taiwan like was stated. The ERC and Chrome Soft X with TT are in my bag and show made in USA.

I stand corrected. But I still don’t believe that any ChromeSoft are made in Taiwan like was stated. The ERC and Chrome Soft X with TT are in my bag and show made in USA.

I never seriously thought Chrome Soft was made anywhere other than Massachusets. Which is why I asked for someone to confirm that the boxes say Made in USA rather than Taiwan, as claimed upthread.

Although it certainly possible that ERC, Chrome Soft, etc. have Asian-sourced cores. I do not believe the source of the cores have any bearing on product-package labeling which reflects place of assembly.

P.S. I'd think any company making generic, low-tech 2pc golf balls in USA factories is simply wasting money. That technology is cheap and widespread with no value added for keeping it USA based. And the price competition in that segment is brutal.

https://community.callawaygolf.com/t5/Inside-Callaway/How-quot-made-in-the-USA-quot-is-Callaway/td-p/2447
While that answer is several years old, I just checked my most two recent Chrome Soft boxes (one from January of this year and one from earlier this week. The latter one being Chrome Soft X with Triple Track) and BOTH clearly show on the box, "Made in the U.S.A."
Sorry guys but I think you're all wrong on this one. Took this pic at Meijer today. Perhaps Callaway makes balls both in the US and Taiwan?
0100be48beaa889ca1c634bb3b7b2fd6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Interesting. "Barcode for Japan only" So what and where is Meijer? Maybe this was supposed to be sold outside the US only. Specifically it looks like Japan.

Interesting. "Barcode for Japan only" So what and where is Meijer? Maybe this was supposed to be sold outside the US only. Specifically it looks like Japan.

Meijer is a big box store, like Walmart. That barcode for Japan only thing is just what it says, that barcode itself is for the Japanese market. That doesnt mean anything for where the balls are supposed to be sold.
Like I said, I tried Chrome Softs earlier in the spring and the boxes all said, "made in Taiwan" too. Honestly, if I could find made in USA Chrome Softs, it probably would be my go-to ball. Even now, if I needed to buy balls and couldnt find Wilson Duos, Id gladly play Callaway Supersofts. They arent as soft as Duos but they are close.
To best of my knowledge, the only made in the USA balls are some Titleists (and thats getting more rare since they got bought by Fila) and Bridgestone (and its only certain models).

Meijer is a big box store, like Walmart. That barcode for Japan only thing is just what it says, that barcode itself is for the Japanese market. That doesnt mean anything for where the balls are supposed to be sold.
Like I said, I tried Chrome Softs earlier in the spring and the boxes all said, "made in Taiwan" too. Honestly, if I could find made in USA Chrome Softs, it probably would be my go-to ball. Even now, if I needed to buy balls and couldnt find Wilson Duos, Id gladly play Callaway Supersofts. They arent as soft as Duos but they are close.
To best of my knowledge, the only made in the USA balls are some Titleists (and thats getting more rare since they got bought by Fila) and Bridgestone (and its only certain models).

I wonder if a place like Miejer got some kind of wholesale deal on Callaway balls typically sold in Europe/Asia. Every Chrome Soft box I’ve ever seen in a pro shop or golf store said Made in USA and did not have an option for a Japan bar code.

I wonder if a place like Miejer got some kind of wholesale deal on Callaway balls typically sold in Europe/Asia. Every Chrome Soft box I’ve ever seen in a pro shop or golf store said Made in USA and did not have an option for a Japan bar code.

The other box I got from Golf Galaxy said, "made in Taiwan" too though.
When I go to the course tomorrow, I'll see if they have any boxes of Chrome Soft and snap a pic.

So apparently, from another source, the direct to consumer golf ball industry has been uncovered. Companies like Snell, Cutblue, Vice etc all source their balls from a Asia manufacturer called Foremostgolf. They crank out balls for anyone who wants to place orders with them. All you need is a phone and a name. The balls appear to have the same exact core and core materials, cover, and dimple pattern. Of which are from patents owned by established companies like Titleist.

Remember CutBlue was have severe difficulty delivering their balls to consumers. Turns out another DTC company bought out all the Foremost manufacturing time to stockpile inventory and box out the competition. Some of these balls have slight differences but are essentially the same ball. Of note Titleist parent company is suing several unknown brands, save Vice, for patent infringement.

Marketing a ball and getting even GolfDigest to believe you are making TourPro grade balls at range ball prices. These companies should be ashamed.

I'm going to forever stick with Titleist. American made with thousands of patents of R&D.

I know everyone on here reads info from other sites and has seen this story. What say you?
All hail the purity of Titleist...which pays a portion of every dollar received on PV1 sales to Bridgestone for stealing Bridgestone’s patented technology.

All hail the purity of Titleist...which pays a portion of every dollar received on PV1 sales to Bridgestone for stealing Bridgestone’s patented technology.
I could be remembering this wrong, but weren't they in a patent dispute with Callaway back in the day once Callaway acquired Top Flite?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

fwiw all my chromesoft 2dot sleeves say Made in USA on the barcode. i know some of their models are made in taiwan

The conversation will turn at some point to the DTC club companies and where and how their products are made. I wonder if we will learn anything beyound we should play what we play well and stop hyper analzying what few of us really understand.

Sorry guys but I think you're all wrong on this one. Took this pic at Meijer today. Perhaps Callaway makes balls both in the US and Taiwan?

Maybe it's just the box that was made in Taiwan. I really dont care where the stuff is made but it makes my point that brands like Callaway sell all the big boxes and never get crap for it while brands like Wilson who used to sell them but dont now, probably because their stuff isnt as popular still get crapped on over selling them years, maybe even a decade ago.

My last 3 boxes all say "made in the USA"
4c792896c8055bf431019d163470d408.jpg
65578e58093daa8b6329b83f908261f8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The DTC discussion is familiar, but the Taiwan/USA news on the Chrome Softs is new to me. I wonder what the story is there?

I wonder if they got a bunch of balls intended for the overseas market. I’ve never seen the “barcode for Japan only” on a box, and every chrome soft I’ve bought since I’ve been playing the ball says made in the USA.

Also I’ve seen the balls being made in the Chicopee factory.

iirc didn't the original chrome*soft have a taiwan run

doing some research, I see barcodes for Made in Taiwan, Made in USA, and Assembled in the USA from US and/or Taiwanese components

I had an old chrome soft box lying around. These came from Wally World. They are a prior generation.

91c38cf8cbb9a1d33bf066acceb4b6d8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back