Tour Edge HL4 Iron-Woods and Hybrids

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Really good price points there and I like the amazon prime analogy. 59 degree iron-wood?? I’m not sure I’ve wrapped my head around that just yet or not haha.

I really hope these aren’t slept on. The 3’s were silly solid, and it seems Tour Edge is out to prove a point with this iteration.

In the renderings they look like they just whited out the "3" and stamped "4" on them. Will be curious to see the design differences once in hand.

I really wanted to love the HL3 ironwoods and having owned the 6 and 7 what turned me off were the very heavy swing weights especially with the KBS90 steel shafts. IIRC they were like a D5 which compared to my Pings are about 5-6 pts heavier in those irons. I just couldn't move them through the ball like the Pings.

And the HL3 hybrids they were as long as anything out there but I couldn't turn those hybrids over at all. Hopefully the new release fit my swing better. At $119 that is a deal.
I am glad they kept the Limey/Neon yellow accents (my personal fav) :)

That price is insane for the tech in the HL4. These should move well

Hmmm I am really interested in the 4IW. I bet that low on the face forgiveness would be great

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I am enjoying the HL3 ironwoods quite a bit, very interested in the HL4 ironwood. The one problem I had with the HL3’s driver and fairway, these could not compare to performance I could find in a equal priced one year old Callaway Rogue driver or fairway wood. I will swing the all the HL4 though and compare

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Admin
I am enjoying the HL3 ironwoods quite a bit, very interested in the HL4 ironwood. The one problem I had with the HL3’s driver and fairway, these could not compare to performance I could find in a equal priced one year old Callaway Rogue driver or fairway wood. I will swing the all the HL4 though and compare

Looking forward to your thoughts Sabig.

I already game 2 of the HL3 ironwoods. So one or two of these could possibly find their way into my bag, along with the HL4 driver.

94d37dbe07a747fc8dab5edc790fbd84.jpg

What are the main differences between the HL4 iron woods and the CBX iron woods?

What are the main differences between the HL4 iron woods and the CBX iron woods?

Different materials. Offset is a bit different. Weight is a bit different in placement.

Anyone have a pic of the hybrid at address ?

Also is the back of the Ironwood now scooped out like a Cleveland Launch HB ? Or is it still rounded like the HL3?

the pictures in the article show you :alien:

Totally missed that; Right after I posted I read that the crown is inverted too. doh.
Glad to see they went this way. I read in a release by Tour Edge that they are claiming these Ironwoods are a club longer than the previous version.

I read also that they went with the same shape for the hybrid as the HL3. Will be interesting if this one works any better for me. I tried the HL3 with both the stock UST shaft as well as the Recoil and neither worked out for me. I do hope they decided to keep the hybrid lengths on the shorter side. I always have to shorten my hybrids an inch and with these being on the shorter end of the spectrum they felt like a perfect length to me.

Can't wait to try these and the hybrids out. Unfortunately my local fitting center is hit and miss with TEE demos.

I think I'm gonna need to try one in steel.

Totally missed that; Right after I posted I read that the crown is inverted too. doh.
Glad to see they went this way. I read in a release by Tour Edge that they are claiming these Ironwoods are a club longer than the previous version.

I read also that they went with the same shape for the hybrid as the HL3. Will be interesting if this one works any better for me. I tried the HL3 with both the stock UST shaft as well as the Recoil and neither worked out for me. I do hope they decided to keep the hybrid lengths on the shorter side. I always have to shorten my hybrids an inch and with these being on the shorter end of the spectrum they felt like a perfect length to me.

Can't wait to try these and the hybrids out. Unfortunately my local fitting center is hit and miss with TEE demos.

If really a club longer, that would be a significant increase over HL3, yet I don't see anything revolutionary added to this iteration. Also considering lofts are the same as HL3, sensible (32° 7i) and not jacked up

If really a club longer, that would be a significant increase over HL3, yet I don't see anything revolutionary added to this iteration. Also considering lofts are the same as HL3, sensible (32° 7i) and not jacked up

Glod was saying the inverted crown (higher launch) and other tweaks led to less spin was how they achieved it. I agree. It would be a significant feat to gain 10 yds. Unless the 32* is now called an 8i.

I also find it strange the hybrids don’t have offset like the ironwoods and the offset wood offerings

Glod was saying the inverted crown (higher launch) and other tweaks led to less spin was how they achieved it. I agree. It would be a significant feat to gain 10 yds. Unless the 32* is now called an 8i.

That is what Callaway has done with their Rogue X and BB hybrids. At least Callaway admits it lately stating they just trying to have golfers gaming these clubs sound more impressive to their friends

As part of TEEm Tour Edge participation for 2019 I just got our 3rd installment for the year. HL4 3 20* “iron/wood” or utility as I would call it paired with a UST Mamyia 65g S Shaft.

a57a0586dbf312edbd09c097481857d9.jpg

be7e6ead426e6761f9d0de41db4c9966.jpg

7fde25227b047ae1467afac749016fee.jpg

1fa769744e44da9739d116eb9e263ada.jpg

da7bdb49a5ebab761cf5882dafc24e28.jpg

528e315e44567b64873d145bb4ea436d.jpg

First initial thoughts right out of the plastic is it’s very similar in looks to another brand. Fortunately I’m very familiar with that brand and model and I can say they are pretty damn fun. So I’m betting this will be just as good and/or hopefully better. I thought the shaft in it was pretty wild. UST Shaft with Tour Edge branding as well. Pretty cool and a premium shaft. First test drive coming soon...

Got a box yesterday!!! This is really exciting for me. It's a club I think I would characterize as a utility iron for higher handicap golfers. It's the Tour Edge HL4 3 iron with a proprietary Tour Edge shaft designed by UST Mamiya. The shaft is a 65g Stiff shaft. I was at home when it came and my club just happens to be in my backyard and no one was out on hole 15 so I grabbed a couple of shag balls and hit some shots.

At address there is a bit of offset, very similar to my Hot Metal Irons. The Lamkin grip has some visual clues so it's easy to make sure I do not close my face and doom myself to a hook immediately before I even swing.

When I hit it? Wow, this thing is a high, strait, flier. I don't think I have ever seen a 20* non 7 wood fly this high. I immediately thought this would be a good driving iron so I teed a couple up on the tee box and hit them both pretty good. 190ish, the first down the middle, the second slightly down the right side, neither had much of any curve on them at all.

Took both balls to the 200 yard marker and hit them to the green. I put a great swing on the first and boy did it fly, landed front right of the green probably 15 yards from the middle. Most impressively it didn't kick forward and roll out 20 yards so this is a flier and not a stinger. The 2nd shot I got too handsy and and it ended up 20 yards left and about 30 yards short of the green.

I hit a few more on the next hole with similar results. I am going to stick this in my bag as a utility iron. It's funny because I started a thread asking for a big faced GI iron to use for this application about a month ago and this just might be exactly what I am looking for. More to come!!! Thanks Tour Edge and THP!!!
06fd78298d1ab9e690ad75d751eff738.jpg
602eae3b8244c4b01c37d5d12f9ecf16.jpg
e8fdc702613f075d7276aa62a6d73e79.jpg
1f456db36594b9d8274f64236e3e0fe9.jpg
04f657535097ca04eaa543b5b92d1d27.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Can you take a picture of the grip, Tour Edge said it is a Z5?

Can you take a picture of the grip, Tour Edge said it is a Z5?

It is. I will grab one here after bit. It actually feels pretty good for a regular size grip.

Posts moved per @2bfast

Back