Tour Edge HL4 Iron-Woods and Hybrids

kevin81002;n8881371 said:
This club would be great for someone that isn't comfortable hitting hybrids and wants a high trajectory ballflight from a long iron.

Hit the nail on the head with this.

kevin81002;n8881371 said:
I took the hl4 3i with me to the range before my round on Saturday morning. I hit a few shots with it, and my brother hit a few shots with it. We both have about the same thoughts, which is it's stupid easy to hit. But we also both have a hard time accepting the shape of it. It just looks like so much mass sitting behind the ball. It was hard for either of us to get past that.

But back to the ballflight. If we put a good smooth swing on it, the ball just shoots off the face with a nice high trajectory. This club would be great for someone that isn't comfortable hitting hybrids and wants a high trajectory ballflight from a long iron.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

That last part is me. It's already knocked the CBX 119 hybrid out of my bag. I love this thing so far. Its goes almost as far as the hybrid, but I feel more consistent with it. I am m7chboess likely to really miss one with this. Maybe that is the length difference??

DataDude;n8881566 said:
That last part is me. It's already knocked the CBX 119 hybrid out of my bag. I love this thing so far. Its goes almost as far as the hybrid, but I feel more consistent with it. I am m7chboess likely to really miss one with this. Maybe that is the length difference??

Interesting you didn't get along with the CBX 119. I love the F out of it.

I dunno, I havnt got off to a good start with this one visually so it hasn't set the tone right. Im still messing around with it

2BFAST;n8881583 said:

I dunno, I havnt got off to a good start with this one visually so it hasn't set the tone right. Im still messing around with it
As much as it shouldn't matter, I always struggle to game a club that I don't like the looks of at address no matter how well I hit it. With all the incredible clubs on the market today, I know there's something else I'll hit just as well that looks appealing to me.

kevin81002;n8881690 said:
As much as it shouldn't matter, I always struggle to game a club that I don't like the looks of at address no matter how well I hit it. With all the incredible clubs on the market today, I know there's something else I'll hit just as well that looks appealing to me.

Totally agree

Went out for a short range sesh last night. Once I got done what I wanted to get done, I put my utility to work. I actually got into a pretty nice groove with it. Still havnt checked the lie angle yet but im still not missing left? Its actually a pretty decent club at the end of the day. Not afraid to admit, your first thoughts when you first pick it up aren't the most positive ones, but once you feel now nice the ball comes off the face and the softness its actually kind of fun. Paired with the premium shaft from UST its a pretty decent little combo here. Its def worth taking a look at if you are looking for a budget minded long iron to fill a gap towards the top of a bag. But they do make entire sets of these and like I have said before I have played a competitors set similar to these and they are fun. They aren't something I would game all the time but that's me. They are for sure a premium club at a budget price for the player that either needs forgiveness or needs a little more distance with their irons. Or both actually.

Check out the strike pattern since I started testing this thing. I hit the ball fairly long, but I'm not exactly the most accurate ball striker out there. In fact I'm very far from it. So this is incredible to me. I've hit probably 30 balls with this thing atleast and I don't think I've mishit one yet.
3511f5aa24a3c425c6bc8e7bb8fba6df.jpg

With that, let's do some pros and cons.

PROS:
*It's stupid long. Average carry for me has been just south of 245 yds.
*It launches and apexes stupid high. I feel like I can point it at a green 240 out and rain one in that'll stop within a few feet of its divot.
*It's stupid easy to hit. Like I said, over 30 balls hit with it and I haven't missed the center of the club yet.
*It sounds really good at impact. There really isn't any audible difference between the hl4 and my u85.

CONS:
*It's ugly at address. The super wide top line with the big black bulky back of the club being visible at address makes me really not like the looks.

That's the only con really. And yet I still struggle with putting it in the bag with it basically being point and shoot for me. I know... I'm a head case. lol

kevin81002 ;n8888415 said:
And yet I still struggle with putting it in the bag with it basically being point and shoot for me. I know... I'm a head case. lol

The mind is a powerful thing. Point and shoot sounds pretty tremendous though.

JB;n8888417 said:
The mind is a powerful thing. Point and shoot sounds pretty tremendous though.
Yeah it is. I have nothing bad to say about the performance of it, other than the shaft being a little on the soft side. For those out there that don't mind the bulkiness, it's an absolute home run.

kevin81002;n8888424 said:
Yeah it is. I have nothing bad to say about the performance of it, other than the shaft being a little on the soft side. For those out there that don't mind the bulkiness, it's an absolute home run.

Your thoughts and my thoughts are totally the same. Its fun AF, but visually its numbing to me. Its so damn easy to hit though its almost cheating.

kevin81002;n8888415 said:
With that, let's do some pros and cons.

PROS:
*It's stupid long. Average carry for me has been just south of 245 yds.
*It launches and apexes stupid high. I feel like I can point it at a green 240 out and rain one in that'll stop within a few feet of its divot.
*It's stupid easy to hit. Like I said, over 30 balls hit with it and I haven't missed the center of the club yet.
*It sounds really good at impact. There really isn't any audible difference between the hl4 and my u85.

CONS:
*It's ugly at address. The super wide top line with the big black bulky back of the club being visible at address makes me really not like the looks.

That's the only con really. And yet I still struggle with putting it in the bag with it basically being point and shoot for me. I know... I'm a head case. lol

You really suck for the highlighted part.

I see what your saying on the "cons" but for someone that needs the help via the forgiveness of it that really doesn't matter what it looks like they can get over that in a hurry with the performance it can give AND especially for the price. There is a market for these and can really help improve ones game without costing someone a 2nd mortgage to get it. Plus they could be a weapon for a better player also especially if you can carry it 245....

2BFAST;n8890105 said:
You really suck for the highlighted part.

I see what your saying on the "cons" but for someone that needs the help via the forgiveness of it that really doesn't matter what it looks like they can get over that in a hurry with the performance it can give AND especially for the price. There is a market for these and can really help improve ones game without costing someone a 2nd mortgage to get it. Plus they could be a weapon for a better player also especially if you can carry it 245....

Oh I agree. There is definitely a huge market for these. And some of us could definitely benefit from getting past our visual expectations.

Going to be getting more reps in later this week with this

Full review of the Tour Edge Hot Launch 4 Ironwood 3 Iron I received as part of TEEM Tour Edge:

Looks:

The looks of this club are fine. If you have hit hybrids the look of this club will not bother you at address even though it is a bit unique. The crown has ridge along the back instead of a cavity like many other irons do and the sole is stretched really far back for a 3 iron. This looks like a hybrid and a GI iron had a baby. The grip is a custom Tour Edge grip and the shaft is a proprietary UST Mamiya shaft.

Feel:

When holding the club it feels like a hybrid with a bit shorter shaft which I like. The weight is good, but high swing speed players using heavier shafts in their irons may find it a bit light. While swinging it is easy to feel the head so the shaft flex and profile definitely fits the club well. On impact this thing is super soft and I think anyone struggling with arthritis would love the feel. Of course a player looking for feedback on mishits is probably not going to enjoy the easy feel of this club, but it's not really made for them anyway. There have been a few shots where I wasn't sure how I hit it till I looked up and saw the ball.

Performance:

This club really wants to hit a high, strait, low spin shot no matter what kind of swing you put on it. It launches the ball up and forward and you get plenty of roll. When I say it really wants to I mean this club is easy to move the ball down the fairway toward the hole with. You're not going to be working the ball left and right, or flighting it low and I had some trouble using it as a punch club due to it jumping up, but put basically any decent swing on it and it's going to get up and go. I hit a 20* hybrid around 190 and a 20* 4 iron around 185. I hit this club about the same as the 4 iron, but it flew higher than both of the others.

Value:

I am adding this here because this club costs $79. I was shocked when I looked it up this morning before writing this review. I honestly didn't know it was in that price range and IMO that is a steal. Anyone looking for some help and in the market for irons and hybrids should check this lineup out. This club is so easy to hit it's ridiculous.

Summary:

As I said before this club is a steal for value if you are in the market for GI clubs. These would be at the top of my list to test based on performance alone, now that I know the price I would be hard pressed to make myself buy something else. I think for a mid handicapper these longer irons are fantastic for use as a driving iron. That is exactly what I have been doing with it. I tee it up about 1/4" off the ground, put a nice smooth swing on it and I get a high strait 190-200 yard shot with rollout. It's stupid easy for a tight fairway or landing spot.

2BFAST;n8881583 said:

I did get along with the CBX 119, this is just stupid easy. That one was normal modern golf club easy, I feel like the HL4 is like I built a club on a video game and 99'd it out on all it's specs.

DataDude;n8892412 said:
Full review of the Tour Edge Hot Launch 4 Ironwood 3 Iron I received as part of TEEM Tour Edge:
Value:

I am adding this here because this club costs $79. I was shocked when I looked it up this morning before writing this review. I honestly didn't know it was in that price range and IMO that is a steal. Anyone looking for some help and in the market for irons and hybrids should check this lineup out. This club is so easy to hit it's ridiculous.

Summary:

As I said before this club is a steal for value if you are in the market for GI clubs. These would be at the top of my list to test based on performance alone, now that I know the price I would be hard pressed to make myself buy something else. I think for a mid handicapper these longer irons are fantastic for use as a driving iron. That is exactly what I have been doing with it. I tee it up about 1/4" off the ground, put a nice smooth swing on it and I get a high strait 190-200 yard shot with rollout. It's stupid easy for a tight fairway or landing spot.

Great review. Couldn't of said any better myself right here. Killer bang for the buck

DataDude;n8892414 said:
I did get along with the CBX 119, this is just stupid easy. That one was normal modern golf club easy, I feel like the HL4 is like I built a club on a video game and 99'd it out on all it's specs.

haha touche'!

DataDude;n8892412 said:

Looks:

The looks of this club are fine. If you have hit hybrids the look of this club will not bother you at address even though it is a bit unique. The crown has ridge along the back instead of a cavity like many other irons do and the sole is stretched really far back for a 3 iron. This looks like a hybrid and a GI iron had a baby. The grip is a custom Tour Edge grip and the shaft is a proprietary UST Mamiya shaft.

Feel:

When holding the club it feels like a hybrid with a bit shorter shaft which I like. The weight is good, but high swing speed players using heavier shafts in their irons may find it a bit light. While swinging it is easy to feel the head so the shaft flex and profile definitely fits the club well. On impact this thing is super soft and I think anyone struggling with arthritis would love the feel. Of course a player looking for feedback on mishits is probably not going to enjoy the easy feel of this club, but it's not really made for them anyway. There have been a few shots where I wasn't sure how I hit it till I looked up and saw the ball.

Performance:

This club really wants to hit a high, strait, low spin shot no matter what kind of swing you put on it. It launches the ball up and forward and you get plenty of roll. When I say it really wants to I mean this club is easy to move the ball down the fairway toward the hole with. You're not going to be working the ball left and right, or flighting it low and I had some trouble using it as a punch club due to it jumping up, but put basically any decent swing on it and it's going to get up and go. I hit a 20* hybrid around 190 and a 20* 4 iron around 185. I hit this club about the same as the 4 iron, but it flew higher than both of the others.

Value:

Summary:

Yeah I never even looked up the price. And I agree that it's crazy easy to hit.

Now I was given one with a different shaft that you guys. Mine has a KBS Tour 90 steel shaft. I checked the swingweight and it came in right at D3. The shaft is 40g lighter than I'm used to on irons, but it didn't feel like it, probably due to the swingweight being where I like it. I think the same style shaft but just a tad stiffer and this thing would be perfect. As much as I struggle with the looks, it just might find its way in the bag if I keep puring it like I have been.

So, I'm not getting along with hybrids, as I'm missing left, but love my launcher irons, so I'm thinking a 2 or 3 of these might work for me since they are not available in the Launchers.

Has anyone who's played the Launchers used these? Are they comparable?

I'd mainly like a fairway finder off the tee when it's too tight for driver.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

goalie;n8892707 said:
So, I'm not getting along with hybrids, as I'm missing left, but love my launcher irons, so I'm thinking a 2 or 3 of these might work for me since they are not available in the Launchers.

I havnt bagged the Launchers from Cleveland but I have hit them many times and they are very comparable. Especially the looks at address. After hitting both, I think rounding out the top of your bag with HL4 IW's to get the results you want would work out really well. And at a very affordable price too

2BFAST;n8892740 said:
I havnt bagged the Launchers from Cleveland but I have hit them many times and they are very comparable. Especially the looks at address. After hitting both, I think rounding out the top of your bag with HL4 IW's to get the results you want would work out really well. And at a very affordable price too
Thanks. You enabled my addiction. I already ordered a 3.

goalie;n8892751 said:
Thanks. You enabled my addiction. I already ordered a 3.

Great. Let us know your thoughts on it when you get it!

BTW, what shaft did you get?

2BFAST;n8892756 said:
Great. Let us know your thoughts on it when you get it!

BTW, what shaft did you get?
Stock regular flex graphite

goalie;n8892707 said:

the biggest difference you will notice will be the offset.

The Cleveland Launcher HB/588 Altitude/Hibore Lines have less offset than most blade style irons. For example the 6i HB has less offset than my G700 PW.

The HL4 has a boat load of offset. I’m not knocking them just pointing this out as a difference you may notice between them.

Back