I changed out a hook machine hybrid to the Callaway Utility Iron. I started out really well with the iron but since I took time off getting the club to be a money club again has been difficult. Before rounds I am testing the 3wd and 18* iron to see what I am going to use off the tee and for long approaches. Unfortunately recently both 3wd and 18* have been less than ideal so it is always Driver off tee and 4 iron is the longest approach club. 2 spots in my bag are just space savers. Fortunately for me I really would only use the clubs once or twice in a round for approaches (long par 5's) and my driver has been pretty good so not having a "smart play" club hasn't hurt yet.

My only reasons not to go back to hybrids is the hook factor and the high flight. I am intrigued by Ping's flat setting (I used it in the driver already) and even the TXG left hand adapter trick sounds good but it doesn't fix the high flight I was getting. Earlier this year I could hit the iron high and low at will and I just have to find the magic with the club again.

Might've swung one utility iron at a simulator and that was it.

My 2H is my driving iron but that isn't low by any means, polar opposite.

I don't golf with anyone who has that driving iron club or stinger off the tee.

Cool to see on Tour though haha.

It's a club I've always wanted to game, but never found one that worked as well as I had hoped off the tee, never saw it as an off the turf club, but as a driving iron/driver replacement, I've always wanted to keep one in my bag.

f768bf02613db52cf183dd17b60d8388.jpg

6ddbbed1643f2fd235c985942bd0d166.jpg

e9da7109bb5f32d6578169db355824a0.jpg

Here are a few examples of when I used my driving iron. This thing has been a fairway finder for me and much more accurate than my 3wood imo.

I’ve also hit some really good ones off the deck when needed. Here is one of my highlight shots off the deck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll take a 2I or utility iron over any hybrid and most fairway woods any day of the week. I told you what I'm getting out of the 21* utility here in CO...I wish I hadn't caved in the 15/16* previous generation Apex UT.

I am really looking for something that gaps my 3w (15 deg) which averages 253 yards and my 4i (21 deg) which averages 218 yards. In the last year, I've carried the following:
  • Callaway XR Pro 3h - it fits the gap distance well, but I have major issues hooking hybrids.
  • Titelist 716 T-MB 3i - This goes in and out of my bag but it's just too inconsistent distance wise. I can hit it 230 yards one shot and 260 on the next hole and feel like i did nothing different.
  • Apex 3i - It only goes about 225 on average so really doesn't close any gap.

The issue is that I'm a lefty and there are nearly zero driving irons found locally that fall into that 16 deg to 18 deg range. One of my regular golfing partners hits about the same distance as me and he put a GAPR Lo 17 deg in the bag and it works perfectly for him, but he's a righty.

I'm sure there's 100 threads on them, both individually and combined, but let's start one fresh here, as I feel like it's getting more and more popular.

Who's gaming one, and why?

I keep putting a hybrid back in the bag for easy launch and forgiveness, but every time I put a 2 iron in play it's crazy strong... especially when the fairways are firm.

Do the Cobra F9 4/5 irons count?

Reshafting the 4i soon and I’ll be ready to go. Fairway finder without sacrificing distance

Do the Cobra F9 4/5 irons count?

Reshafting the 4i soon and I’ll be ready to go. Fairway finder without sacrificing distance

I’d say no - launches too high. If the answer is yes then I’ve had one in the bag all year!

I am back to playing the Cobra F9 4i with a Catalyst 80 shaft built to a roughly 2i speck a "mini" driving iron. It can send the ball around 225-230 on most days and is a fairway finder. I usually only play it on very long par 3s (especially against the wind) and on 400 yard or less par 4s, unless there is some sort of short trouble I am trying to avoid. i will also use it if the hole really dictates that you end up on a particular side of a fairway for the second shot.

I know it doesn't have a hybrid shaft in it, so maybe its technically not a true driving iron, but the Catalyst can really send the heck out of the ball with this head and the ball flight is really penetrating.

I do have one in play and I’ve stopped tinkering with hybrids... for now.
A couple reasons for me, confidence... I like the look of an iron over hybrid.... also, where I typically play, the fairways firm up and the roll out is crazy on some shots... As an example this weekend I played 2i on consecutive shots (tee and FW) on a par 5 and made the green (don’t want to say ‘hit’ the green) in 2 for the first time in a long time.... merely because of roll.

I have a 21 degree X Forged UT with a Motore Speeder VC 8.8. I really like the club. But, I probably don't use it as most would a driving iron. With the graphite shaft, it launches the ball pretty high. Not as high as a true hybrid. I could use a 3H. But, I only hit about half of the fairways, and some days a lot less than that. I like the fact that I can play it out of the rough a lot easier than a hybrid. The flight is just a bit more predictable for me. It doesn't go as far as a 3H, but that's fine. It is more for accuracy than it is for distance. My course doesn't demand a lot of long second shots. I was finding that I was only using my hybrid every so often from a tee, or a really bad drive. This just seems to play a little better for me than my 3H did.

But, I am really curious to see what the fitters at ECPC think of each club. It's one spot in my bag that I am not sure on what is truly the best option.

I want to love them.

I had a G400 3 Crossover that was kinda sorta like a driving iron.

But ultimately ended up getting rid of it.

I also had a Srixon something or another that a local THP'er offloaded to me. For about 20 minutes until I got rid of it too.

They just don't work for me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have been playing a 2-3 Hybrid for awhile. Can hit it well but for can get a two way miss. Just picked up the Gapr Low (17) interested to see how it goes.

I've been carrying an 18* & 20* Srixon U45 & U85 respectively, for a while and really like them for low flyers, though I cannot claim to hit a stinger. I think I might have been the only one of the Hogan event guys to order a utility iron(still waiting on it). I've always struggled with hybrids and avoiding the hook with them, but the Hogan hybrid is really, really good. Not sure that I've hooked it at all. Definitely looking forward to hitting the Hogan UI though.

Attempting to solve a hooking hybrid problem that developed out of nowhere, I took advantage of an Independence Day sale to add a 20* MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi to the bag. Haven't even had a chance to get it to the driving range yet, so I'm not sure what to expect. Fingers crossed.

I’d say no - launches too high. If the answer is yes then I’ve had one in the bag all year!

Haha

That’s why I’m switching to Catalyst

i don't have the club head speed for one, but a friend of mine has an 18º he hits around 250-260. Man, can he launch that thing high too.

Really think it’s time I give one a go just not certain which one to go with. Need to head to the store and take a look.

I just glanced at my stats and I’ve use the 3w exactly once in the last 5 rounds because of my inability to control it. Maybe I put it on the bench for a few in favor of a driving iron.

I want one, but the ones I like are more than I want to pay. I've never hit one though, but I can't do any worse than my 4W or hybrids lately.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

One of those clubs you see amateurs use and just shake your head... you need serious club head speed to make it work. A hybrid is a much better choice.

Here’s what I’ve got and am messing with. Not pictured is my Srixon Zu85 on loan.

8e247c1f179ab73f29e2c34d8151e088.jpg

It’s a healthy obsession at worst.

As a fan of a driving iron, I love this photo. Healthy indeed. I've had a lot of success with the Srixon U65, but I've been on a hybrid kick with the H85 lately. It's so close... as a nod toward Driving Iron, I've found an oddball combo of 3 iron with 4h to be amazingly versatile and effective coverage.

EDIT: On the why side, I always played 2i as a fairway finder back in junior golf and have always been comfortable with long irons. I tend to hit them straighter than a hybrid, and the trajectory is fun.

Last edited:
I have been playing a 2-3 Hybrid for awhile. Can hit it well but for can get a two way miss. Just picked up the Gapr Low (17) interested to see how it goes.

I was curious if anyone here had a GAPR and how they like them.

Have the cobra utility 3iron. It’s nice and straight out to 220 yards. I got the OL model as well so it comes in handy for punching the ball out from under trees.

One of those clubs you see amateurs use and just shake your head... you need serious club head speed to make it work. A hybrid is a much better choice.

The driving irons of today are not like the butter knife 2-3 irons of days gone by. Hollow body designs with some decent weight in the sole.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I just use the stock 3 iron from the Mp-4 set off the tee if I want to run something up there. I also carry a hybrid though if I want to get something high

Back