Whilst going through my recent fitting I hit both irons and hybrids and the Srixon ZU85 gave me the best results - the hybrids just launched too high and spun too much for what I was looking for

Ended up with the ZU85 in 18 degrees and despite only having played a couple rounds with it I am very happy with my decision to put it in the bag - a bad swing gives a bad result, but when I put a good swing on it, it gives a nice flat trajectory that worked very well over the last weekend of golf I played

Probably the best shot I hit was on the 10th hole on Saturday, a par 4 with trouble/OOB left and trees right so you needed to be accurate, but being a downhill hole you could get some nice yardage out of the tee shot if you hit the fairway
Stood on the tee and my GPS watch said it was 360yds to the centre of the green and I ripped my tee shot just left of centre and when we got to the ball I had 98yds left to the centre, so a nice 260yd 2i albeit slightly assisted by the downhill slope in the landing area

I hit a driving iron once, about 10 years ago. I still can't feel my fingers.....

18 degree Callaway X Forged UT - I have always struggled w/ the hybrid, I do not struggle with this club

I’ve always used my 765 4-iron as my driving iron but definitely wanted to get something a bit more forgiving and easier to hit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve always used my 765 4-iron as my driving iron but definitely wanted to get something a bit more forgiving and easier to hit

Give the Srixon ZU85 line a try, I was slightly surprised at how easy it was to hit and the results I have seen in the short time it has been in my bag

I've been using the Nike VR Pro Combo 3i with a graphite shaft as a driving iron for a few months now. The 3i has a pocket cavity and the graphite shaft gives it some real speed as well as giving me the ability to hit it high into some par 5's. I play a relatively short course so I end up hitting it off 4-5 tees each round.

Give the Srixon ZU85 line a try, I was slightly surprised at how easy it was to hit and the results I have seen in the short time it has been in my bag

You’re right, it’s very easy to hit but for some reason, the problem I’ve had with the u85 (and frankly all of these types of utility clubs) is the large bottom half doesn’t suit my eye. Just too big.

Maybe I just need to force myself to bag one and get used to it...

You’re right, it’s very easy to hit but for some reason, the problem I’ve had with the u85 (and frankly all of these types of utility clubs) is the large bottom half doesn’t suit my eye. Just too big.

Maybe I just need to force myself to bag one and get used to it...

I guess coming from a bag of Z545 irons I didn't have any issues that the sole was slightly wider than they were but I see your point

I tried hybrids but couldn't get away with them with my swing - there is a club out there for everyone, you just gotta find what works best for you

i think the appeal of the driving iron for the tour pros is that low trajectory, and keeping the ball on the ground. but the agronomy of their week-in and week-out tour stops plays a big factor.

i don't have a desire to game a ut. being a moderate speed, but low launch/low spin player, i am definitely not the ideal player. give me a hybrid with some junk in the trunk and plenty of forgiveness, please.
You're hitting my 2i next weekend.

I guess coming from a bag of Z545 irons I didn't have any issues that the sole was slightly wider than they were but I see your point

I tried hybrids but couldn't get away with them with my swing - there is a club out there for everyone, you just gotta find what works best for you

100% agreed. I think this is the one big part of my fitting in December that I’m so excited about because I could end up with so many different setups - hybrid,utility; hybrid, no utility; utility and no hybrid...lots of possibilities

I used to game a 19° hybrid, but have since switched it out with the P790 UDI 17°. I find a lot more fairways with it and hit it about 15 yards farther. Fairways and first cut of rough are no problem at all, but thick rough is a no-go. The UDI also gaps perfectly between my 3-wood and 4-iron. The hybrid is more versatile, but the UDI is more accurate for me and a better fit for how I use it.

One of those clubs you see amateurs use and just shake your head... you need serious club head speed to make it work. A hybrid is a much better choice.

What dictates an amateur?

Also, what speed makes sense for one?

I had the Golfsmith Driving Iron for quite awhile many yeas ago. Worked great off the tee when my driver went south on me. Sold it when I quit playing. After I started again, I found another one. I've hit it at the range a few times, but not on a course, as my new driver has been pretty good to me.

I've never used one off the fairway. I keep threatening to get it reshafted just for yuks. Maybe I should, and put it back in the bag for awhile.

I usually play hybrids. But lately the last 2 I owned a hook machines.
Thinking of switching it up to a driving iron . During the dry weather I think it’s a solid option. But wet weather maybe not the best idea of mine

Thanks (in part) to this thread, I've finally decided to bite the bullet, and picked up a gently used Apex UT 21*° utility iron for $60 on eBay. I've been wanting one for years now, but wasn't able to find a good price. Think I may use this as an alternative to my hybrid, as I've been noticing the club wanting to hook more and more since overhauling my swing last winter.

It's supposed to arrive on Saturday, just in time for my next round Sunday morning.

-Bishop

I wish I could man, especially the U85 from Srixon but man something about them and hybrids both that just dont work for my garbage swing.

I go back and forth with the driving iron. Since April 2018 I’ve had 790 udi, gapr lo, an old Nike 2 iron, Srixon u85, ping g410 crossover . All worked great for 2 months then I’d consistently hit straight pull hooks 75 yds out but 75 yds left with all of them

In that time I also tried m3 hybrid, rogue hybrid, Srixon h85, Mizuno clk, and recently now have the Gapr Hi (hate it). The Mizuno was the best...

Considering ending the driving iron trial and adding an extra wedge instead

Back