Canadan

You Are Great
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm sure there's 100 threads on them, both individually and combined, but let's start one fresh here, as I feel like it's getting more and more popular.

Who's gaming one, and why?

I keep putting a hybrid back in the bag for easy launch and forgiveness, but every time I put a 2 iron in play it's crazy strong... especially when the fairways are firm.

I've been combing lots of individual threads to try to come up with a great shaft and 4i pairing, so I will be keeping an eye on this one! Great idea Canadan!

I don’t mind them and have used them in the past. But my miss is predominately a face to path issue and a driving iron/utility isn’t going to produce any better shot than my 3 iron. It just may be more off line because it produces more distance in general.

And while I like the idea of an extra 10-20 yards, I can get buy without it and the costs seem absurd. I don’t want to spend $200 plus on a utility club when I can get a 3 iron for $125 or so.

I've honestly never used one before, might be fun to try one for a few swings, but for now my bag is my bag.

Hybrids were always hook machines for me. Utility irons generally goes straight for me. The height control is better with Utilities too, imo.

I have been using my Apex UT since, around 2015. When it works, its my go to fairway finder(its not working right now). I've never really gotten along with hybrids, I prefer to look down at an iron. I also prefer looking at smaller headed fairways, which could almost look more like some of the bigger hybrids, so that doesn't make much sense there.

Maybe I'm off base with my understanding of a driving iron. Is a driving iron a 2i or 3i? Is it a Utility iron? Something else? All of the above?

I don’t mind them and have used them in the past. But my miss is predominately a face to path issue and a driving iron/utility isn’t going to produce any better shot than my 3 iron. It just may be more off line because it produces more distance in general.

And while I like the idea of an extra 10-20 yards, I can get buy without it and the costs seem absurd. I don’t want to spend $200 plus on a utility club when I can get a 3 iron for $125 or so.

With the hollow body design, couldn't the o311T be considered a driving iron of sorts in that loft?

That is what I would class my P790 2 and 4 irons.

Maybe I'm off base with my understanding of a driving iron. Is a driving iron a 2i or 3i? Is it a Utility iron? Something else? All of the above?

I think that's a relatively fair assumption. With the designs out nowadays, I think to be a 'driving' iron it needs to have some hollow aspect to be in the spectrum.

Never tried one.

Just posted in the Titleist u500 thread but I’ll repost here:

I play the P790 UDI (17* I think) with a HZRDUS Black 85 shaft. I absolutely love this thing off the tee and fairway.

I have always struggled with a hybrid. I agree they were easier to get airborne, hit high and go far but I struggled with right and left misses. I’m sure it has to do with swing and being somewhat steep in general.

When I found the driving iron/utility it completely changed my game. Much more forgiving that a long iron (1, 2 or 3 iron) and just works better for me and my game than a hybrid or high lofted fairway metal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the hollow body design, couldn't the o311T be considered a driving iron of sorts in that loft?

That is what I would class my P790 2 and 4 irons.

For sure. The 0311T heads are much smaller overall though than the P790’s. I haven’t done a direct comparison, but I would suspect the 790 to be closer to the 0311P head size.

I’d rather have the extra size in a 2 or 3 iron loft, but just not for the price. I only paid $129 for my 3i with the TI X100. I love everything about the new Titleist U series clubs, except the $250 price tag. If it were $150 I’d probably buy one just because.

i think the appeal of the driving iron for the tour pros is that low trajectory, and keeping the ball on the ground. but the agronomy of their week-in and week-out tour stops plays a big factor.

i don't have a desire to game a ut. being a moderate speed, but low launch/low spin player, i am definitely not the ideal player. give me a hybrid with some junk in the trunk and plenty of forgiveness, please.

I really want to give one a try in place of my 4 iron/hybrid. I'm not sure if that spot wood so be considered a driving iron though. I'm ok with a hybrid but I'm more comfortable with an iron in hand and would like something to be able to punch out of trouble with a little easier.

I'm sure there's 100 threads on them, both individually and combined, but let's start one fresh here, as I feel like it's getting more and more popular.

Who's gaming one, and why?

I keep putting a hybrid back in the bag for easy launch and forgiveness, but every time I put a 2 iron in play it's crazy strong... especially when the fairways are firm.

I have a driving iron and like it, but rarely have it within the bag. To do so would mean taking my 3 wood or 19* hybrid out of the bag, both clubs which get more use than a driving iron.

Here’s what I’ve got and am messing with. Not pictured is my Srixon Zu85 on loan.

8e247c1f179ab73f29e2c34d8151e088.jpg

It’s a healthy obsession at worst.

i think the appeal of the driving iron for the tour pros is that low trajectory, and keeping the ball on the ground. but the agronomy of their week-in and week-out tour stops plays a big factor.

i don't have a desire to game a ut. being a moderate speed, but low launch/low spin player, i am definitely not the ideal player. give me a hybrid with some junk in the trunk and plenty of forgiveness, please.

Embrace the stinger.

stinger.gif

I’ve had several driving irons and I love the idea of them. I just cannot consistently get ideal numbers from them and if the fairways aren’t super hard they cost me. I still own several but don’t regularly game them unless it’s on hard fairways (rare around here).

When Tiger was 16, 17 years old I watched him play a few rounds of golf. In those days he carried a Ping Eye 2 1 iron and used it off a lot of par 4 and par 5 tee boxes, he hit the 1-iron more often than he hit driver. His ball flight with it was super high, like a moon ball way higher than anybody else hit the ball , and he could carry it about 265 here at sea level courses.

88a05e7944e260654658ab7c1adadbfb.gif

Here’s what I’ve got and am messing with. Not pictured is my Srixon Zu85 on loan.

8e247c1f179ab73f29e2c34d8151e088.jpg

It’s a healthy obsession at worst.

It’s a sickness but also quite impressive!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back