Callaway Epic Flash Hybrid

tequila4kapp;n8896370 said:
What has surprised you most? Any preconceived ideas confirmed or refuted?

i am also curious to see results if you tinker with the shaft...is this a lightweight only type product or does the club still deliver the goods with other shafts?

I mentioned it earlier, but the ball speed. Hitting 3w realm ball speeds in a 21* hybrid is, well, insane. I knew it would be a distance hound because thats the direction Callaway tends to lean in hybrids, this though is more than even I expected.

I'm going to change it after I get one more session on it as is, I'm like you, I want to see how it handles another setup. Will be installing my all time favorite hybrid shaft into it.

Jman;n8896492 said:
I mentioned it earlier, but the ball speed. Hitting 3w realm ball speeds in a 21* hybrid is, well, insane. I knew it would be a distance hound because thats the direction Callaway tends to lean in hybrids, this though is more than even I expected.

I'm going to change it after I get one more session on it as is, I'm like you, I want to see how it handles another setup. Will be installing my all time favorite hybrid shaft into it.

Thanks! I’m not especially finicky about shafts but I do like the existing setup and would be interested in keeping that consistent if I were to consider adding one of these to the mix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jman;n8896492 said:

Thanks! I’m not especially finicky about shafts but I do like the existing setup and would be interested in keeping that consistent if I were to consider adding one of these to the mix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jman;n8895894 said:
Anyone have any questions or curiosities?

I've yet to see any comparison pics or numbers between this new version and the original Epic version. I play two of the original Epic hybrids and really want to see a comparison. I can't find a single mention of the two models being compared anywhere on the web at this point in time.

PowerCobra98;n8896940 said:
I've yet to see any comparison pics or numbers between this new version and the original Epic version. I play two of the original Epic hybrids and really want to see a comparison. I can't find a single mention of the two models being compared anywhere on the web at this point in time.

I don’t have any way to provide a photo comparing the two. I will have to check in the local store to see if there are OG Epic hybrids and I would be happy to show a comparison. The OG profile is smaller, with a higher toe. The new Epic Flash is more rounded and looks more like the Big Bertha, as some photos in the thread depict. The new Epic clearly produces better ball speed. I have no doubt about that. I am also going to guess that it is more forgiving, although I have not hit the OG Epic for a couple of years.

Hope that helps some.

These hybrids are insanely long. I have never ever hit a hybrid that far. 21E4F9C7-1D1B-4FFF-9335-FB1BD77B5E71.jpeg

Session of 12 shots today....

Average ball speed was 147.6.

From a FOUR HYBRID with a REGULAR flex shaft.

Jman;n8898534 said:
Session of 12 shots today....

Average ball speed was 147.6.

From a FOUR HYBRID with a REGULAR flex shaft.

That's a pretty insane number. Could you see putting a pure distance hybrid like this in the bag?

KEV;n8898540 said:
That's a pretty insane number. Could you see putting a pure distance hybrid like this in the bag?

I honestly don’t know where it would go.

Reactions: KEV
Jman;n8898545 said:
I honestly don’t know where it would go.

fw replacement for those of us who struggle mightily with fw off the deck?

that’s where my head is. i could see going d->fw (strictly off the tee)->flash hy->apex hy->longest iron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

McLovin;n8898549 said:

that’s where my head is. i could see going d->fw (strictly off the tee)->flash hy->apex hy->longest iron

Theoretically yes, but it’s more the fact that this 21 is going further than any 18/19 I’ve ever tested. Poses some issues, for me at least.

I could see this 4H being a great fit for me between 3W and G410 4H.

McLovin;n8898549 said:

From what I have read as to your preferences/needs, this hybrid would be perfect as you have described. Driver, 3w and then this hybrid. That is what I have decided to do. I can gap all the way up to 215 - 220. From there, to have a club I can hit 235 to 240 with precision is awesome. Then, for the longest shots off the deck, I still have my 3 wood, which I am hitting about 255.

JMB3;n8898578 said:
I could see this 4H being a great fit for me between 3W and G410 4H.

There is no doubt in my mind that it encroaches on the 5w and into 4w space as a 4h, which is crazy to think about.

More worth noting, the thing launches silly easily, and the spin is not AS low as I expected, the ball speed is just nuts.

Well, I want one of these. I'm still in love with my Bertha hybrids but I'm pretty fond of the shape and profile here.

ArmyGolf;n8898809 said:
Well, I want one of these. I'm still in love with my Bertha hybrids but I'm pretty fond of the shape and profile here.

I think the face shape here needs more focus than its getting or I have been giving it.

I also DO think though that those who love the square toe look/design may not get on super well with this one.

Jman;n8898811 said:
I think the face shape here needs more focus than its getting or I have been giving it.

I also DO think though that those who love the square toe look/design may not get on super well with this one.

I still think the W/S D200 are the nicest shape hybrid I've ever seen, and for me they are the bar I compare everything to. This Flash hybrid is certainly a bit larger overall, but a lot of the same lines are there. I'm a fan no doubt.

ArmyGolf;n8898809 said:

The Epic Flash is basically a Ferrari version of the Big Bertha, a bit sleeker and definitely faster.

Jman;n8898811 said:

Am I crazy in that it has a little Rogue in it? Which to me were some of the best hybrids they have ever made.

JB;n8898825 said:
Am I crazy in that it has a little Rogue in it? Which to me were some of the best hybrids they have ever made.

Nah, I don't think you're crazy, when you get beyond the size of it being (to my eye) a little bigger It reminds me of that one a good bit at impact.

Tenputt;n8898579 said:
From what I have read as to your preferences/needs, this hybrid would be perfect as you have described. Driver, 3w and then this hybrid. That is what I have decided to do. I can gap all the way up to 215 - 220. From there, to have a club I can hit 235 to 240 with precision is awesome. Then, for the longest shots off the deck, I still have my 3 wood, which I am hitting about 255.

that's pretty much where my head is. recently i've come to realize that until i fix my chipping/pitching woes, hitting fw into a par 5 is not the right play. FAR more often than not, i'm miss-hitting the fw, and leaving myself a short game shot. i never hit the fw cleanly; it's either thin, chunky, or too much draw. but if i have something i CAN hit more consistently like this flash hy, i think that would be a great option for attacking par 5s.

i would then only use my fw off the tee when driver is too much. interestingly based on some of the feedback so far from Jman it almost sounds like this flash hy is a fw replacement. a flash 3h might gap too closely with a 4w. so maybe it would make more sense to go 4w->flash 4h->apex 4h. i hope i have enough time with my grandaddy fitting to spend time on that top end of the bag.

McLovin;n8898901 said:
that's pretty much where my head is. recently i've come to realize that until i fix my chipping/pitching woes, hitting fw into a par 5 is not the right play. FAR more often than not, i'm miss-hitting the fw, and leaving myself a short game shot. i never hit the fw cleanly; it's either thin, chunky, or too much draw. but if i have something i CAN hit more consistently like this flash hy, i think that would be a great option for attacking par 5s.

i would then only use my fw off the tee when driver is too much. interestingly based on some of the feedback so far from Jman it almost sounds like this flash hy is a fw replacement. a flash 3h might gap too closely with a 4w. so maybe it would make more sense to go 4w->flash 4h->apex 4h. i hope i have enough time with my grandaddy fitting to spend time on that top end of the bag.

You should have a better shot at answering that question than most, due to Grandaddy, and I hope you get that opportunity, too. My thoughts would be that you likely will fill your need better with the 3, not the 4. The 3 is adjustable up to 20 degrees. That gives you room to gap in. If I am looking at the club that will be my primary weapon for second shots on par 5s, I want it to have some juice.

In addition, Jman’s ball speed is way up there. I would bet that yours and mine are more closely comparable. For me, the 3 gives me exactly that weapon for par 5’s. There is zero issue launching it. It is super easy to hit for its loft. I can see that for somebody like Jman, it is tough to find a place in the bag for this club, but I don’t think this club is necessarily targeted for players with his swing speed. For people like us, it almost becomes another one of those magical clubs. I found one this year in the Cobra F9 4 iron. I think this club is another one.

Tenputt;n8898926 said:
You should have a better shot at answering that question than most, due to Grandaddy, and I hope you get that opportunity, too. My thoughts would be that you likely will fill your need better with the 3, not the 4. The 3 is adjustable up to 20 degrees. That gives you room to gap in. If I am looking at the club that will be my primary weapon for second shots on par 5s, I want it to have some juice.

In addition, Jman’s ball speed is way up there. I would bet that yours and mine are more closely comparable. For me, the 3 gives me exactly that weapon for par 5’s. There is zero issue launching it. It is super easy to hit for its loft. I can see that for somebody like Jman, it is tough to find a place in the bag for this club, but I don’t think this club is necessarily targeted for players with his swing speed. For people like us, it almost becomes another one of those magical clubs. I found one this year in the Cobra F9 4 iron. I think this club is another one.

FWIW, I keep mentioning the ball speed because it is so much higher than what I'm seeing from other hybrids of the same loft (my G410 for example). I never ever ever ever ever ever get this speed out of a 4H, ever.

Jman;n8898976 said:
FWIW, I keep mentioning the ball speed because it is so much higher than what I'm seeing from other hybrids of the same loft (my G410 for example). I never ever ever ever ever ever get this speed out of a 4H, ever.

Although I don’t have the launch monitor to measure actual numbers, the distances I have seen out on the course certainly comport with your experience and observations. To hit a 3 hybrid over 270 yards is just something that is not in my wheelhouse. That hole is downhill and so the number is exaggerated by about 15 yards, but that still leaves me at over 250. I have also hit it over 250 off the tee a couple of times on totally flat ground, no wind (according to Arccos). Again, I am playing in the dry thin desert air of Utah, but I know how far I typically hit a hybrid and those are just crazy long distances for me.

No thanks to Jman, my bag now has the GBB Epic Driver, Epic Flash 3H, 4H, 5H. From there I go to the Cobra F9 One Length 6i - SW, then to the Cleveland Smart Sole 58. I don't need a FW. I got rid of a bunch of stuff to pay for half of the hybrids. I've hit them on the launch monitor in comparison to the BioCells. Tomorrow they see the course.

Back