Callaway Epic Forged Irons

I am hitting my 8 iron about 170 right now give or take a couple yards. The gapping would be horrifying if I added another 15 lmao

For sure, these are not intended for plus index players with 170 driver ball speed.

I am really curious to see if any of the guys on tour give these a rip in the long irons and adapt them the way Rickie did with the Speedback F9 4 iron.

I am hitting my 8 iron about 170 right now give or take a couple yards. The gapping would be horrifying if I added another 15 lmao

i think it could work with a different set at the bottom, but that would really mess with my head. i still think a 5i in these would be the perfect hybrid replacement to slot after a more “traditional” 5 or even 4 iron. personally i like a little more heft in that spot, so hybrid for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

hahaha or ARE they?!?!?!?!?

Like you and others posted above, perhaps a long iron or two would fit in. I would be very curious to put this 4 iron up against my beloved F9 4 iron.

I am really curious to see if any of the guys on tour give these a rip in the long irons and adapt them the way Rickie did with the Speedback F9 4 iron.

Team Hackers’ minds thinking alike...

I wouldn't be shocked to see one or two pop up in Phil's bag given his play of the OG Epic iron.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I absolutely love the prospect of low spin in the 4 or 2 iron range. With how attractive these are, despite the price, I'd definitely give them a run at that bag position.

Hundo percent I'd game a long iron as an off the tee option

Anybody else hit these yet?

Anybody else hit these yet?
I did. I hit the demo 7 iron 20-25 yards longer than my current 7 iron. Some shots were 30+. Felt pretty good. Not as pure as an Apex or X Forged. But, they don't feel overly clicky or anything either. Did I mention they go a super long ways??

Callaway Epic Forged Irons

I did. I hit the demo 7 iron 20-25 yards longer than my current 7 iron. Some shots were 30+. Felt pretty good. Not as pure as an Apex or X Forged. But, they don't feel overly clicky or anything either. Did I mention they go a super long ways??

That type of yardage gains is pretty nuts. Wouldn’t that create some serious gapping issues at the bottom of the bag for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That type of yardage gains is pretty nuts. Wouldn’t that create some serious gapping issues at the bottom of the bag for you?

These are not real problems! More wedges makes the game more fun

theoretically you should be able to drop some clubs at the top and then add some clubs to the bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

These are not real problems! More wedges makes the game more fun

That's my thinking. If I can give myself more options with the wedges than that's a win for my game.

Yeah, it would really just shift things around. I'd probably have to go with a 6-AW set. The 6 would be the equivalent of my 4 iron if the trend continued anyways.

But, I am not the target market for these. I don't need 20 yards extra on my irons. I hit them just to see what they were all about. They were fun. They felt nice. But, they go too far if there is such a problem.

But, I am not the target market for these. I don't need 20 yards extra on my irons.

Me, too! Even though, by far, I am not a "long hitter" I have all the gaps filled from my driver on down through all the wedges. Other than replacing my hybrid with an iron and being able to brag about the distances I get with each I don't perceive a "need" for them at this point, certainly not at these prices. Maybe when they hit CPO in a year or 18 months I'll take another look but I am very pleased with my 2018 #TheGrandaddy bag as is.

Me, too! Even though, by far, I am not a "long hitter" I have all the gaps filled from my driver on down through all the wedges. Other than replacing my hybrid with an iron and being able to brag about the distances I get with each I don't perceive a "need" for them at this point, certainly not at these prices. Maybe when they hit CPO in a year or 18 months I'll take another look but I am very pleased with my 2018 #TheGrandaddy bag as is.
That's what it's all about. Making sure you have a club to cover a given distance regardless what's on the bottom of the club.

I still think these could really help extend some players max green hitting ability. Say if your longest iron can get you 190-200 yards. Having the ability to stretch that limit to 220 could be huge. Or, from 180 going to 200. Could really help some guys on longer par 3's and those approaches in on some long par 4's. Assuming the gapping throughout the bag can be managed that is.

I know a few guys who's games would be completely different with that kind of range. Long par 4's are basically par 5's for them. Just hoping to get it close enough to the green on their second shot to have a chance at an easy chip. I don't know that they'd spend this kind of coin on clubs though.

i had hoped to try them this weekend, but tweaked the back again lugging some heavy test equipment around the airport so it will have to wait.

Gaining even 10 yards of usable distance would be very nice, 15-20 would be even nicer, but that being said unless I keep playing from 6,400-6,600 tee boxes I really don't need the distance to score if I am hitting my irons well.

I am in a dangerous time right now with a bit of a funk going on with the iron striking and I am not above blaming my irons or shafts and trying something radically different to right the ship, which usually works for a while.

Work travel is going to keep me gone all next week and skin cancer surgery the week after will limit what I can do before the THP Event, so a major club change (and at that cost) is not the best plan of action.

Holy smokes. Took my 7i in to compare. The Epic was 40 yards past it and consistent. I will be getting a set. Probably drop hybrid and 3w.

Holy smokes. Took my 7i in to compare. The Epic was 40 yards past it and consistent. I will be getting a set. Probably drop hybrid and 3w.

What irons do you currently play?

were you able to test with the same shaft or similar?

Apex pro 19

I am not doubting you, but wow, I wish I understood the physics underlying such a massive difference.

Back