Callaway Epic Forged Irons

I am not doubting you, but wow, I wish I understood the physics underlying such a massive difference.

6 degree loft difference plus epics are longer length.

6 degrees multiplied by 3 yards per degree (generous), gives you 18 yards. Add another 5 for longer length and you are between 20 and 25 yards. I would love to know what yields the additional 15 to 20 yards. Some of it could be the shaft.

6 degrees multiplied by 3 yards per degree (generous), gives you 18 yards. Add another 5 for longer length and you are between 20 and 25 yards. I would love to know what yields the additional 15 to 20 yards. Some of it could be the shaft.
I'd love to see club data (not an option around my area). Are these things hotter off the face? Higher smash loft to loft?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Did you have any issues adjusting to the longer shaft? Was the Epic 7 iron as easy to hit as your current 7 iron or did it feel like hitting a 5 iron?

Not at all. Easier than my current 7. Just effortless.

Not at all. Easier than my current 7. Just effortless.

Longer shaft?

I couldn't imagine hitting a longer shaft in my irons, they have been fitted for me (and are about a 1/2" short from "stock" and are perfect. Is a longer shaft part of this distance gain and if I put my fitted length shaft into these, would it impact the advantages? Or, is it really the head?

I am looking forward to hitting these.

Longer shaft?

I couldn't imagine hitting a longer shaft in my irons, they have been fitted for me (and are about a 1/2" short from "stock" and are perfect. Is a longer shaft part of this distance gain and if I put my fitted length shaft into these, would it impact the advantages? Or, is it really the head?

I am looking forward to hitting these.
Could be part of it. But, I have a feeling that these distance gains are more than just longer shafts and lower lofts.

Could be part of it. But, I have a feeling that these distance gains are more than just longer shafts and lower lofts.

I am sure you are right. I just really couldnt imagine trying a longer shaft in my irons after being fit. I guess I will find out...

Thanks

Since I play .50" over as my normal fit length i am so curious to see if there is a huge difference, especially if I can try the Catalyst 100 I presently have.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Callaway Epic Forged Irons

Since I play .50" over as my normal fit length i am so curious to see if there is a huge difference, especially if I can try the Catalyst 100 I presently have.

Yes. I would be curious. I didn’t realize that longer shifts would even be in the equation here. Longer shaft and stronger lofts it is sounding more like a 7 iron is just a 5 iron.

If the head produces the performance with my fitted length shaft (which I have Aerotech shafts now) then these will definitely be a possibility. If that performance is based on shaft length (or is relying on it), I guess I am out.

I am excited to hit these and will try regardless. Booom!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Catalyst 100 are a no charge option.

The Catalyst 100 are a no charge option.
Shockingly the set is built and in my cart...but testing needs to happen before anything can happen.

Yes. I would be curious. I didn’t realize that longer shifts would even be in the equation here. Longer shaft and stronger lofts it is sounding more like a 7 iron is just a 5 iron.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGqwRz1SHbg

I'm sure that video has been posted. Towards the end, Newton compares the 7 iron to his current forged 5 iron. Its the same length and roughly the same loft. He goes on to hit his 5 iron in comparison and the numbers end up pretty similar to the epic 7. Same spin, peak height and carry within reason. Basically, his insinuation is you can just take your current irons and scratch off the number and you got epics.

I would be curious if others are having similar results.

In their defense, he did admit that he had some bad strikes with the epic and the consistency of the result was surprising.

I'm sure that video has been posted. Towards the end, Newton compares the 7 iron to his current forged 5 iron. Its the same length and roughly the same loft. He goes on to hit his 5 iron in comparison and the numbers end up pretty similar to the epic 7. Same spin, peak height and carry within reason. Basically, his insinuation is you can just take your current irons and scratch off the number and you got epics.

In their defense, he did admit that he had some bad strikes with the epic and the consistency of the result was surprising.
Thanks for posting that. Hadn't seen his review yet. What he did at the end, comparing it to his 5 iron is exactly what I was looking for. It appears, loft for loft, length for length, it is about as long as any other iron. I will say, he did seem to benefit on some speed retention on off center hits.

These look a lot smaller behind the ball than I expected, I get the reviewer's point about it basically being a 5 iron but I doubt a average hacker could retain that ball speed with a 5 iron in standard form.

All the tech is doing something, and I really don't think most of us buy clubs for bragging rights (as he says) since none of the people I golf with care about what club you hit and I would think that is normal.

Going to head to Golf Galaxy today and see if they have a demo model to hit. Hopefully, will have something to report back!

Thanks for this. Interesting comparison with his 5 iron. This is what I am interested to learn more about regarding shaft length. Is this very important or not. Maybe put properly fit shaft into these heads only yeilds an extra 10-15 yards and still have the ball speed retention and forgiveness? That would be good.

I am not sure what to think about these irons. Hopefully will have the opportunity later today or tomorrow.

These look a lot smaller behind the ball than I expected, I get the reviewer's point about it basically being a 5 iron but I doubt a average hacker could retain that ball speed with a 5 iron in standard form.

All the tech is doing something, and I really don't think most of us buy clubs for bragging rights (as he says) since none of the people I golf with care about what club you hit and I would think that is normal.

This is such a valid point made with sound reasoning. So many of the reviewers’ takes are superficial in nature and fall back to the old it’s a 5 iron with a “7” stamped on it. This misses the entire point that you make. There is no way most golfers are going to pick up a Wilson Staff blade 5 iron and consistently see the results that the reviewer would. the proper way to look at it is that it gives you the distance of a 5 iron but remains as easy to hit as a 7 iron. That is the key.

All I know is the Epic 7i is 10x easier to hit than my 5i. Effortless distance, I'm all in.

Ugh, Houston sucks in terms of construction.. 45 lanes closed, beltway 8 lanes closed, 288 functionally shut down... sigh, couldn't get to Golf Galaxy today. I scheduled a club fitting instead for 2 weeks time. Will be giving these, the PXG 0211, new Mizuno's all a try and see which wins...

Thanks for posting that. Hadn't seen his review yet. What he did at the end, comparing it to his 5 iron is exactly what I was looking for. It appears, loft for loft, length for length, it is about as long as any other iron. I will say, he did seem to benefit on some speed retention on off center hits.

this is what I wish more people would look at, instead of just the number on the bottom or just the peak height or just the carry distance

this is what I wish more people would look at, instead of just the number on the bottom or just the peak height or just the carry distance

what do you wish people would look at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I may just order a set blind, got them built and I will call my Callaway guy Tuesday from chile and see what he can do as far as delivery time.
I have a lot of experience with steetfiber i95 so these fc 90 should be a decent fit and I suspect will play a bit softer than the i95 stiff which I had to soft step to make work.

I'm not sure where the issue is?

Back