Callaway Epic Forged Irons

Textured walls are so 2008.

Reactions have been about as polarized as I’d expect on this one. Crazy high price, it crazy high tech.

They did SOOOOO much better on these aesthetically than they did on the previous version! The improvements in material makeup also should be a big upgrade too.

Reactions have been about as polarized as I’d expect on this one. Crazy high price, it crazy high tech.

Have u been testing these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have u been testing these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No sir, but I hope we get a set in for review!

Man, the guys at the GD are going to get so much tech knowledge thrown their way with these irons. I was hooked on the performance of the old Epic Pro version and the only reason I moved on was because of the sound and feel. These could be game changers for those lucky enough to bag them.

There was a massive size difference between the pro and the standard last time--do these sit right in the middle or is it closer to the pro or standard?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I’ve put a ton of thought into this today and I really want to hit them but isn’t Callaway going on a limb here? Doing something new at a high price is dangerous if it doesn’t work (as in people might not try it next time). Although it could be huge if it works and sets the tone going forward.

I really think I’m over thinking it at this point.

I’ve put a ton of thought into this today and I really want to hit them but isn’t Callaway going on a limb here? Doing something new at a high price is dangerous if it doesn’t work (as in people might not try it next time). Although it could be huge if it works and sets the tone going forward.

Don’t forget though. They aren’t going to make a ton of these sets. They say ultra premium for a reason, they’re aiming them at exactly that small segment.

Plus, it serves as a launching pad for ideas that can be implemented elsewhere as they perfect the techniques, like we saw with the last iteration of Epic irons.

Boy do these look sweet, the tech sounds great and big fan of the looks. Up here in the Great White North, price is $399 CAD per iron. Alas, way outside my pay bracket but can always dream...sigh!

The only chance I'd ever have at playing these would be winning the trip of a lifetime and since I suck at all those contests, my chances are slimmer than nil. :sad:

The only chance I'd ever have at playing these would be winning the trip of a lifetime and since I suck at all those contests, my chances are slimmer than nil. :sad:

I thought that too, keep at it.

what’s different about this set than the epic release (from a business perspective)?

i assume that epic irons did well enough to support the roi on the creation of these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

based on the numbers of entries and incredible opportunity, i’d say everyone has pretty damn good odds if they enter

Don’t forget though. They aren’t going to make a ton of these sets. They say ultra premium for a reason, they’re aiming them at exactly that small segment.

Plus, it serves as a launching pad for ideas that can be implemented elsewhere as they perfect the techniques, like we saw with the last iteration of Epic irons.
My thoughts exactly. Every iteration is a learning experience both from a design and a marketing/customer experience standpoint. We're seeing tech from several of the last releases in these irons, plus a bit more. The future is bright imo.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

I will wait for the pro version to toy with..

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

no pro version per james’ article

Ha, I would have to say "at this time" but it seems there is always a pro version eventually.

Ha, I would have to say "at this time" but it seems there is always a pro version eventually.

i wondered that too. we will see!

Luckily for once I am not in a hurry to change anything...well maybe a Toulon palm beach could make me change my mind.

I was super excited to see these yesterday, and then I remembered I can't take out a second mortgage.

I do find the shaft pairing a bit odd with steel fiber as the stock option.
Having played several sets of steel fiber in different weights and enjoyed them, to me they always played stiff to flex and were the only shaft I needed to soft step a stiff flex to get what I needed.
Maybe if these were designed for the heads and target audience (to me it is older folks with cash to spare) they made them a bit more soft.

I do find the shaft pairing a bit odd with steel fiber as the stock option.
Having played several sets of steel fiber in different weights and enjoyed them, to me they always played stiff to flex and were the only shaft I needed to soft step a stiff flex to get what I needed.
Maybe if these were designed for the heads and target audience (to me it is older folks with cash to spare) they made them a bit more soft.

These are the new SteelFiber shafts, not a made for. They’re essentially a flighted design.

There are no plans for a pro version, just one iteration this go round, and it’s the reason they were able to focus on the aesthetics more this time.

These are pure distance irons in a small package. Reading through the review again and all the content across the internet i can see these changing games for those that take the plunge.

I’m sure that is over simplifying things, but im not getting the notion these are in the same boat as the Apex Pros in terms of how they play. As a standard set I can see these giving better players more headaches than answers due to the distance they are producing. This isn’t commentary on the lofts or anything like that. I know the tech and design requires the lofts to be what they are in order to achieve performance, but those lower handicaps who hit the center of the face more often than not, will see some distances that might cause gapping issues.

For the other 99% of us who don’t hit the center of the face if we can hit these consistently it might change the game and allow us to score better.

Last edited:
I have a 38.25" club that goes 214 yards with 3900 rpms of spin. What number do I stamp on the bottom? I could stamp a 4, a 6, an 8, whatever I want.

Valid point. I know for me I am about at the limit with irons at the 26*, 37 5/8” mark. This is a 6i in my g700 set. Then I play hybrids above that.

This set reminds me of the Bridgestone JGR which follows more of a JDM loft stamping convention.

26* and 38.25” is considered a 7i in the JGR. With the Epic Forged, 27*/37.625” is considered a 7i.

To account for the gapping at the higher loft end of the bag they simply add a 2nd wedge (AW).

So it’s 6 1/2 dozen or the other whether I play a 6-GW set or 7-AW,GW set. At the end of the day it’s still 6 clubs with the same or nearly the same specs. Only difference is what number is stamped on the club.

Now what irks me is when comparisons are made to other clubs and specs wise we’re not comparing apples to apples.

Last edited:
Back