Callaway Epic Forged Irons

When you say angle of descent do we mean? What makes an angle of descent steeper?

Is it a mixture of spin, peak height and launch angle?

Either way, the technology being put into these clubs are insane, especially the tungsten bit. I'm going to watch some review videos tonight if I can find them

the review videos are out there and most everyone is really digging them

what makes an angle of descent steeper? i’m not smart enough to answer that haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

in looking at the specs, and in some of the reviews what people are getting distance compared to their current clubs... why not just change the name on the soles of these clubs?

To me the 46* wedge is basically a PW, a 41* is a 9I, from what I can see they would still be as long or longer than pretty much any similarly lofted club on the market?

At some point I will test these, and if I pulled the trigger I would probably go 7-GW with an Epic Flash 5H

And even the length of the clubs are longer than "standard", the 8i = 37i. So part of this is just playing with the nr carved on the sole. I'm sure there's also great new tech in them and they will be long but only looking at the number on the bottom would likely make you buy one or two clubs you won't be needing and one to two at the other end that you would need (AW in essence = PW). Still want to test these!

what would you put between driver and 18* 4 iron? You have one club left in the bag and at 18* loft with it not being stretched back like a hybrid no matter what technology is in there it's never going to be as high launching as a comparable hybrid or wood.

I think these would be perfect for me. Currently I have a 3wood and then 3 iron (not a fan of hybrids). I would go 4 through PW and then pick up an extra Vokey. I don't mind the stronger lofts, I adjusted to the Apex, and think I would adjust nicely with these.

I think these would be perfect for me. Currently I have a 3wood and then 3 iron (not a fan of hybrids). I would go 4 through PW and then pick up an extra Vokey. I don't mind the stronger lofts, I adjusted to the Apex, and think I would adjust nicely with these.

Something to note, and it was mentioned above. Just because something is a hybrid does not mean it is going to launch higher. Some will, some wont. There are plenty of low spin hybrids that have weight closer towards the face, rather than further back to reduce spin and launch a little lower.

Something to note, and it was mentioned above. Just because something is a hybrid does not mean it is going to launch higher. Some will, some wont. There are plenty of low spin hybrids that have weight closer towards the face, rather than further back to reduce spin and launch a little lower.

I have not tried that many hybrids, but my main issue is that I don't know if they are going draw or fade. Irons just seem more consistent in that area for me.

But I am very exited for this release and confirmed that the Callaway rep will be at my home course in early August and have scheduled a fitting. Can't wait to report back.

When you say angle of descent do we mean? What makes an angle of descent steeper?

Is it a mixture of spin, peak height and launch angle?

Either way, the technology being put into these clubs are insane, especially the tungsten bit. I'm going to watch some review videos tonight if I can find them

@obedt a good thread on it a while back.

Last edited:
Golf Galaxy says they will have them in August 2nd. I'm fairly certain they'll just have the 7i only unwrapped to hit. I'm bringing my Apex 7i to compare distances. Let's see how it goes!

I really think these will compare to my Hot Metals, (I may be wrong though) They are GI irons that will have a lot of height to help hold a green. I want to hit these for sure.

Buuuuuuut with the suspended weight technology and how they’ve been able to move the mass, of the lofts didn’t come down they would balloon like crazy. I know some don’t believe that, but it’s a true reason we have seen lofts come down like they have.

PW is 41, GW 46, AW 51, SW 56

Not trying to be a jerk here; I'm just not as much of a gearhead as others are. Will the traditional-lofted SW balloon on full shots?

Not trying to be a jerk here; I'm just not as much of a gearhead as others are. Will the traditional-lofted SW balloon on full shots?

I haven't had that issue with any set SW or LW, including the PING G series. Part of the tech story is the CG moving up in the short irons as well, which should help that, whereas the CG gets moved low in the long irons for launch where people tend to need it.

The tech in these sounds incredible and I'm sure it is going to find its way into other offerings. I do like seeing Callaway get into the really high end competing with the likes of PXG but doing a better job of it in my opinion. Obviously, due to price and other considerations these won't be for everybody. Personally I like a really "clean" look. An ideal look for me would be the Apex '19 Pro in satin. I really don't need irons that produce any more distance unless they are so much more incredibly easy to hit. I can cover every distance from driver to LW with the equipment I've got. A long iron would have to be much easier to launch than a hybrid or 5W to make a big difference for me. That said, I'm sure I'll hit them at some point!

It’s a progressive design, the wedges are built for a flatter and more workable flight since they’re scoring irons. The tech changes from the hanging MIM’ed weight to a more traditional....ish.... design.

Because it seemed more fun than working, I thought I'd do some checking on the difference in specs between my current set of Callaway irons (XR Pros) to these because I've been pretty interested in trying them out at the Grandaddy since the announcement yesterday. I wasn't interested in the loft differences because I think those have already been pretty well covered, but some of the other spec differences are interesting.

Length. The Epic Forged are longer across the board, but not by equal amounts. The Epic Forged 4-iron is a full inch longer at 39.5" than the XR Pro at 38.5". The difference is still 5/8" at the 7-iron and gradually goes down to 1/4" by the PW. I found this kind of surprising because the length of the Apex and Apex Pro seem identical to the XR Pro. I play mine at standard length, so the takeaway for me here is that I think I'd almost definitely want the irons cut down some, which may decrease some of the distance gains.

Lie. Across the board, the lie angles of the Epic Forged are 1/2 degree upright as compared to the XR Pro. Again, subject to what the fitter thinks, my inclination would be to bend them 1/2 degree flat. I play the XR Pros at the standard lie angle, and that seems about right to me.

Offset. The Epic Forged are more offset than the XR Pros, particularly in the middle irons. Here are the differences:

• 4-iron: No difference
  • 5-iron: 0.17 mm
  • 6-iron: 0.35 mm
  • 7-iron: 0.50 mm
  • 8-iron: 0.56 mm
  • 9-iron: 0.39mm
  • PW: 0.21 mm
That difference isn't all that surprising, but I'll admit I was hoping Epic Forged profile was going to be closer to the pro version of some of Callaway's other irons and it makes me somewhat less interested. The Epic Forged are actually slightly more offset in the 7-PW than the regular Apex, although less offset in the 4-6.

Because it seemed more fun than working, I thought I'd do some checking on the difference in specs between my current set of Callaway irons (XR Pros) to these because I've been pretty interested in trying them out at the Grandaddy since the announcement yesterday. I wasn't interested in the loft differences because I think those have already been pretty well covered, but some of the other spec differences are interesting.

Length. The Epic Forged are longer across the board, but not by equal amounts. The Epic Forged 4-iron is a full inch longer at 39.5" than the XR Pro at 38.5". The difference is still 5/8" at the 7-iron and gradually goes down to 1/4" by the PW. I found this kind of surprising because the length of the Apex and Apex Pro seem identical to the XR Pro. I play mine at standard length, so the takeaway for me here is that I think I'd almost definitely want the irons cut down some, which may decrease some of the distance gains.

Lie. Across the board, the lie angles of the Epic Forged are 1/2 degree upright as compared to the XR Pro. Again, subject to what the fitter thinks, my inclination would be to bend them 1/2 degree flat. I play the XR Pros at the standard lie angle, and that seems about right to me.

Offset. The Epic Forged are more offset than the XR Pros, particularly in the middle irons. Here are the differences:

• 4-iron: No difference
  • 5-iron: 0.17 mm
  • 6-iron: 0.35 mm
  • 7-iron: 0.50 mm
  • 8-iron: 0.56 mm
  • 9-iron: 0.39mm
  • PW: 0.21 mm
That difference isn't all that surprising, but I'll admit I was hoping Epic Forged profile was going to be closer to the pro version of some of Callaway's other irons and it makes me somewhat less interested. The Epic Forged are actually slightly more offset in the 7-PW than the regular Apex, although less offset in the 4-6.

Cool information.
I personally get a little miffed when OEMs put longer shafts in the clubs. It's as if they say "Ok we finally settled down the jacked-lofts debate so let's give golfers something else to fixate on". It looks like they're trying to increase the length gaps at the top of the bag which makes a modicum of sense to help prevent the distance cluster that often happens there, but I'd be happier to see it based off a standard length 7i.

Or is this just a case of an OEM changing the way they measure the length? In which case disregard everything I've said.

Cool information.
I personally get a little miffed when OEMs put longer shafts in the clubs. It's as if they say "Ok we finally settled down the jacked-lofts debate so let's give golfers something else to fixate on". It looks like they're trying to increase the length gaps at the top of the bag which makes a modicum of sense to help prevent the distance cluster that often happens there, but I'd be happier to see it based off a standard length 7i.

Or is this just a case of an OEM changing the way they measure the length? In which case disregard everything I've said.

I think that's a good question. My shot-in-the dark guess would be that it's more likely the length changes have something to do with the specific tech in these clubs and it's less likely that Callaway is changing their standard lengths. A full inch in a 4-iron seems fairly dramatic to me. But I could be way off.

I think that's a good question. My shot-in-the dark guess would be that it's more likely the length changes have something to do with the specific tech in these clubs and it's less likely that Callaway is changing their standard lengths. A full inch in a 4-iron seems fairly dramatic to me. But I could be way off.

Is it a swing weight issue? I don't know that it would be my solution to it, but an inch longer in length and getting a d2 swing weight, means what, 18g in head weight if you cut it down an inch to achieve the same swing weight? I am curious what the head weight on this is vs say the XR pro or the Apex CF19.

The 4I in the Apex 19 is also 38.5" so a full inch shorter than the Epic Forged.

I think it's just a "engineered with distance in mind" design choice. And that's kind of what the TXG guys were saying in the video they did.

At the same time, it's nuts that for something so distance focused, the initial impression on sound/feel have been so good. These look like a ton of fun, but to be honest I am most excited about some of this tech making its way down in the line, similar to how some of the previous Epic irons tech is now in the Apex.

Jonathan wall posted an address photo of the iron. Pretty surprising given the tech involved how good it looks at address.

b2bceb4fccd82afb977d420da883b655.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0BtcbCg4iN/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a really clean looking iron.

That looks great.

Such a fantastic looking iron. Can’t wait to test these out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anybody actually tried the SteelFiber new shafts?
The graphite is the Tensei. Im wondering if there was some skimming or people saw that?

My bag is almost all Aerotech shafts. TIFIBER = Driver, Steelfiber i70 = 5-PW, Steelfiber i70cw = Wedges. It started when I was fit for my Mizuno JPX900 HM a couple years back and then Driver, then wedges. Stable, consistent and I really like them. I am definitely interested in this combo of Epic Forged Irons and New Steelfiber as stock. Just when I thought my bag wouldnt change in the near future.... Then This. :act-up:

Last edited:
17eeba70d12ad850e493a94b40b50286.jpg

1f568f6883ef8fb0cb9b739e52796e01.jpg

ff2278b6cf9afbf88afe4277fae90985.jpg

Love it. Is that a mirror underneath, or just a piece of glass?

Also, on a more related note. Have you hit them yet? Maybe posted earlier in the thread. But, I am stealth THPing at work right now.

Back