Callaway Epic Forged Irons

The more pictures I see of these, the more I can't wait for the reviews! I think these look absolutely fantastic. The performance that they bring i'm sure will match.

Love it. Is that a mirror underneath, or just a piece of glass?

Also, on a more related note. Have you hit them yet? Maybe posted earlier in the thread. But, I am stealth THPing at work right now.

Black Gloss board.
I have not hit them. Will on Monday.

17eeba70d12ad850e493a94b40b50286.jpg

1f568f6883ef8fb0cb9b739e52796e01.jpg

ff2278b6cf9afbf88afe4277fae90985.jpg

Dude, NSFW tag please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black Gloss board.
I have not hit them. Will on Monday.
Awesome! Always enjoy your feedback. Is that finish more satin or chrome? Hard to tell here.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Those pictures have peaked my interest

Solid thoughts in that review James.

These are sick from a looks stand point and crazy from a price stand point. But this was the topic of conversation in my group yesterday.

Awesome! Always enjoy your feedback. Is that finish more satin or chrome? Hard to tell here.

Yes?
Both actually.

Yes?
Both actually.
Same finish as the standard Apex this year?

@jb, would you put the sole width in the APEX or APEX pro range?

@jb, would you put the sole width in the APEX or APEX pro range?

Apex, if not slightly larger. I can measure next time I am in Club Lab.

That picture is amazing!!! Can't wait to hit these in December hopefully.

These look interesting. The few online reviews this far seem to indicate the clubs are distance monsters but still with great feel. I am intrigued.

Has anybody actually tried the SteelFiber new shafts?
The graphite is the Tensei. Im wondering if there was some skimming or people saw that?

I tried the fc90 (I think? I am not 100% sure on the weight) in the CF19 head - much improved feel over the i95.

Cool information.
Or is this just a case of an OEM changing the way they measure the length? In which case disregard everything I've said.

I don't think so. IIRC, the USGA defines how to measure club length for conformity. I doubt anyone would stray from that method.

Is it a swing weight issue?

Not an unreasonable assumption. Of course the extra length doesn't hurt when looking to add distance, either :alien2:

I don't think so. IIRC, the USGA defines how to measure club length for conformity. I doubt anyone would stray from that method.

Correct. 60 degree angle.

Look at the lofts though. 18* 4-iron? No thanks. Im all for loft jacking when it makes sense but this is crazy. You reach a certain point where loft gets so extreme that you lose spin and carry distance. You might say that less spin is fine because it will give you more distance and thats true in your driver but not in clubs like irons where you need the spin to get the ball to stop on the green.

Not an unreasonable assumption. Of course the extra length doesn't hurt when looking to add distance, either :alien2:

teeeeeeechnically the 60° thing is only for determining 48" length conformity; there is no standard for measuring otherwise

Look at the lofts though. 18* 4-iron? No thanks. Im all for loft jacking when it makes sense but this is crazy. You reach a certain point where loft gets so extreme that you lose spin and carry distance. You might say that less spin is fine because it will give you more distance and thats true in your driver but not in clubs like irons where you need the spin to get the ball to stop on the green.

But, if you look at some of the reviews so far, you see that peak heights and descent angles are actually on par with similarly stamped irons. Ian from TXG was hitting the Epic Forged the same height as his 6 iron even though it is much stronger in loft. I think the purpose of the strong lofts is to help reign in the flight. A necessity more than a distance selling point.

But, if you look at some of the reviews so far, you see that peak heights and descent angles are actually on par with similarly stamped irons. Ian from TXG was hitting the Epic Forged the same height as his 6 iron even though it is much stronger in loft. I think the purpose of the strong lofts is to help reign in the flight. A necessity more than a distance selling point.

radi said what i was thinking. watch some reviews and see if it changes your mind. if anything, every review i've watched has commended the spin and ability to hold greens, which is impressive considering some are seeing 1.5 to 2 clubs increase in distance.

teeeeeeechnically the 60° thing is only for determining 48" length conformity; there is no standard for measuring otherwise

True, but what possible motivation would any company have to deviate from that standard?

I don’t understand the peak height argument here. Ideally, every club has a similar peak height for a given player.

I don’t understand the peak height argument here. Ideally, every club has a similar peak height for a given player.

Do you hit your 6 iron as high as your PW? I know I don't, probably not even close.

Do you hit your 6 iron as high as your PW? I know I don't, probably not even close.

If I've stuck both shots well? It's pretty close.

what's interesting is, you actually might. but how each ball gets to that peak height may look quite a bit different. i recall a video with tom olsavsky talking about how ideally each club should have the same peak height on stock shots.

Back