Callaway Epic Forged Irons

Good article but I have a few questions: what is VFT, what does it stand for, and is the PW really at 56*?

The interesting part is we have seen numerous companies go to this point and will see a few more before the year is out.
We just had one go to $500 per iron already.

Normally I’m a huge price point attacker, but Callaway is literally doing things never done in golf clubs before, which is crazy to think about and I’m sure breaks the minds of the ole golf clubs haven’t changed crew haha

Because of that, and the nature of the high end market, I’m good with this. Plus one has to assume we will see some trickle down of the tech in the future years to other irons (like last time) so there’s is always that option to just kick back and wait.

Good article but I have a few questions: what is VFT, what does it stand for, and is the PW really at 56*?

VFT is Variable Face Thickness. It is a term that is getting used quite a bit.
PW is at 41*

Additionally, an all-new VFT pattern is in play to further help control the ultra-low spin and ‘fliers’ that were seen in the previous Epic irons. Similar to what was done in the Apex 19’s, the goal of VFT is to allow the design to be low lofted (yes, they are ‘strong’ lofted, 9i is 36°, PW is 41°, and AW is 46°) and super high ball speed, but stay above spin thresholds that Callaway set for themselves this time around. Meaning control, and green holding capability, should be greatly improved.

Callaway Epic Forged Irons

VFT is Variable Face Thickness. It is a term that is getting used quite a bit.
PW is at 41*

Ok, great. “The details” section made the PW loft very confusing to me and it made more sense that it was 41 than 56 but I thought I’d ask!

PW is 41, GW 46, AW 51, SW 56

Wow they look really good. I just imagine in person they look even better.

Buuuuuuut with the suspended weight technology and how they’ve been able to move the mass, of the lofts didn’t come down they would balloon like crazy. I know some don’t believe that, but it’s a true reason we have seen lofts come down like they have.

I'm more concerned about gapping. If a set needs two gap wedges, as this set does, haven't they really just shifted the numbers? The PW is really just a 9-iron, and a fairly strong one.

These new irons are gorgeous, but seriously expensive. Good write up. Will be interesting to see some distance, spin numbers, and reviews after they are released.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the look of these.
Like the lighter weight steel fiber shaft options.
Do not like the price whatsoever. I didn't see these out in the wild at $250 an iron at a club who's members seem to game a fair share of Callaway gear so guessing I won't see many at $300 an iron.

i don’t disagree that the price is high, but it’s in line with other companies’ super high tech irons. and it’s not meant to be the club you see everywhere. i also guess epic sold well enough to justify an update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I really like the look of these. They kind of remind me of the Srixon 585 irons, which I think are some of the best looking irons outs there, but that black really sets them apart well. The Epic irons have always intrigued me, since like many have said, they let R&D run wild, with no restraints. You can pick up a used set on Callaway CPO for a decent price, IMO, so I would be looking there in a year or so. But otherwise, I think they sound amazing, and I can't wait for the release.

This looks sooooo much better than the OG epic irons. This was a nice surprise to wake up to. I know the price is going to be front and center of this conversation. But, they aren't even the most expensive iron in the market. But, at that price point, they aren't for everyone.

I know personally, I couldn't drop that much on irons. I enjoy being married too much to try and explain away a purchase like that, lol.

But seriously, I keep looking at the pictures of these and I'm liking what I see. The shape from above kind of reminds me of their X-Tour, X-20 Tour irons from years past. I can dig it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

i don’t disagree that the price is high, but it’s in line with other companies’ super high tech irons. and it’s not meant to be the club you see everywhere. i also guess epic sold well enough to justify an update.

What's interesting is reading the comments in those other premium lines threads : )

I'm more concerned about gapping. If a set needs two gap wedges, as this set does, haven't they really just shifted the numbers? The PW is really just a 9-iron, and a fairly strong one.

no, no it’s not. the peak height and angle of descent match the iron number more than the loft. there is so much information out there to inform consumers about why the clubs are engineered like this.

The shaft combos are pretty darn interesting. I’d expect that anyone going all in on these prices will be doing a full fitting, so are there a ton of no upcharge (if you can call it that) shafts?

Because companies don’t stamp the number on the bottom of the club based on loft. That’s a fact.

i just watched a video of someone hitting these, and they sound awesome. the tester commented that they felt really soft. that in and of itself is a big improvement over the previous gen.

i can think of a couple guys on the grandaddy team who are seriously drooling over these!!!

You know, a guy probably needs all those wedges if these are really that long.

Not really a whole lot different than the loft setup I’m trying out with the CF19 right now. i’ve got 5-P, 48, 52, 56 in the bag right now, as I still full swing that second wedge and the gap between the PW and 54 was on the low side. And it’s not like we’re going way, way back in time here, but that’s the same wedge setup I played with the Srixon 545s at the Morgan Cup.

Ridiculous price point I'd say.

Oh my. Those are gorgeous.

i just watched a video of someone hitting these, and they sound awesome. the tester commented that they felt really soft. that in and of itself is a big improvement over the previous gen.

i can think of a couple guys on the grandaddy team who are seriously drooling over these!!!

092a1dfb8df1ded9cb2fbbd47c7f25a7.gif

Wow, I want to hit these badly...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

June of 2017 was the Epic release, so technically these are a bit later than 2 year refresh.
Although I know there was no Apex that year, so the mix up makes sense.
It seems that each line is on a 2+ year release cycle right now and hopefully they continue to make it clear what the differentiator between lines is. They have done a good job of that in the past.

Makes sense. I didn't remember when the Epic line was released and I was thinking it was announced with the Rogue lineup.

Either way they aren't the only OEM with recent announcements so if it makes sense for the product who am I to question.

These look fantastic and sounds like all the new tech converged on this release. I'm sure the price will deter many but they aren't aimed at the mass market. Definitely drool worthy and the TXG review is pretty eye opening. The tech screams distance.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Makes sense. I didn't remember when the Epic line was released and I was thinking it was announced with the Rogue lineup.

Either way they aren't the only OEM with recent announcements so if it makes sense for the product who am I to question.

Thats the fun part of being a consumer nowadays haha.
I think outside of combos and finishes, we are getting around 6-7 sets of irons from OEMs nowadays. That is a lot of choices for a golfer to make and it can be so much fun.

Back