Callaway Epic Forged Irons

no, no it’s not. the peak height and angle of descent match the iron number more than the loft. there is so much information out there to inform consumers about why the clubs are engineered like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
This is something I'm so interested in trying ahead of ECPC testing. I'm hoping that the shop in town gets some demos in.

I want these to check all the boxes for me so bad. If I gotta throw an extra wedge in the bag to make it work, I'll do it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Dont like the black. I like all shiny steel.

Much better looking than the previous iteration, I think. I'd have to see them at address in hand. Could probably play the 4i as a driving iron with another set, too.

They look and sound great but are way out of my league price wise.

Well done on that article James!

Having hit the original Epic irons and absolutely hating the feel I can imagine these are a vast improvement. That being said I'm in the camp of not loving the look or the price point, I get that there is a ton of tech in them but I don't see how these can be better than the Apex.

Also Steel fibers as a stock shaft? Are the heads seriously heavy that stock shafts are all so light?

I like the looks, but wow that price tag is up there. I do like the stock graphite offering.

Just watched a TXG vid with them and Ian picked up like 23yds of carry with a 6i. Pretty impressive.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Just watched a TXG vid with them and Ian picked up like 23yds of carry with a 6i. Pretty impressive.

I just saw that. I'm all for hitting an iron that presents a lot more forgiveness. But, damn, that's a huge increase in distance. Could really help a lot of people out.

I liked how he mentioned in the video that it will help regular guys reach tour level speeds. That's a pretty cool thought.

I was wondering when we would see an epic iron update. I look forward to trying them out when I get fit next time at Club Champion. Initially, they remind me a lot of the T-MBs just from first look impressions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Those are really good looking. If performance matches the aspirational price, then I can certainly see people buying these, including myself. The price will turn some people off, sure, but so do $1,300 iron sets. Point is, this offering is not aimed at the price conscious consumer.

I'm kind of thinking that the 18 degree 4 iron would make for a pretty sweet driving iron.

PW is 41, GW 46, AW 51, SW 56

Whoa, whoa, whoa stop the clock. A 41 deg pw? That is insanely strong.

i can imagine the knuckleballs from the lower irons

ian was getting spin rates with tha 6i that i would expect out of a fairway wood

Dont like the black. I like all shiny steel.

That’s my hardest thing to get over on the T-MB I carry off and on.

I was wondering when we would see an epic iron update. I look forward to trying them out when I get fit next time at Club Champion. Initially, they remind me a lot of the T-MBs just from first look impressions.

I thought the same thing with that black back section.

Callaway definitely seems to have improved upon the epic lineup in a big way. Very impressed to see steelfibers as the stock shaft too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i can imagine the knuckleballs from the lower irons
They mentioned a couple guys in the studio hit the 4i 280. lol

As far as height, when he was hitting the 6i, his apex was actually higher with the epic than his gamer 6i.

Has anybody actually tried the SteelFiber new shafts?
The graphite is the Tensei. Im wondering if there was some skimming or people saw that?

Last edited:
Those are gorgeous, but I am a little concerned with the lofting. I understand the entire argument of higher launch requires lower lofts, but a 41 degree pw gives me pause. Second, the price bothers me. At some point, the performance hits a ceiling relative to price. I would pay that much if the performance truly were a game changer, but I would have to see it.

This is great. A Forged iron with maximum tech and Doc Hocknell putting the finishing touches.

Having played the OG Epic thanks to this forum and The Grandaddy I enjoyed them. I know they get a lot of flack for being harsh but at that time in my golfing life I needed all the forgiveness and max distance I could get from an iron. It was the last time I played a Cast iron and they did the job that I needed.

The OG Epic PW loft was 44*

Now having this premium line in a Forged iron is going to peak a lot of interest for people to at least swing them and form their own opinions. I know I'll be giving them some swings but I am happily set with my current irons.

Has anybody actually tried the SteelFiber steel shafts or is their an assumption of like based on their graphite previously?
The graphite is the Tensei. Im wondering if there was some skimming or people saw that?

I’m guessing most (myself included) have not hit the SF steel. For that matter I haven’t hit Tensei iron shafts.

I actually really like the steelfibers. If I were to go graphite, that'd be my route. They feel way more solid than any other graphite iron shaft I've tried.

I was wondering if they would follow up on the Epic iron lineup and it looks like they addressed the shortfalls of the original. The price is a tough pill to swallow but if you can afford them they sound like a great option. There's a whole lot of tech packed in there.

These irons sure look better than the last Epic irons. These aren't a price point or a profile that interests me personally as a golfer, but I'm excited to see/hear how they perform for the golfers that benefit from this type of setup.

They mentioned a couple guys in the studio hit the 4i 280. lol

As far as height, when he was hitting the 6i, his apex was actually higher with the epic than his gamer 6i.

the graphic TXG showed in the video had Ian's gamer 6i (z765 28°) at a slightly higher peak, but really who would notice a yard or two difference 190 yards away

launch was lower with the E-F 6i (24°) by what I would expect from a 4° lower loft (in the 2°-2.5° range), and then Ian admits that it's basically his 5i

now of course 2i 5i 6i 41° doesn't matter too much if you can launch, get height, and account for your distances

Back