Callaway Epic Forged Irons

Haha... shadow posts, but I caught it in email. So @JB, basically there is no stock steel iron shaft listed for these, it's Steelfiber or Tensei? I'd imagine they're going to open up their custom shaft options to these as well though, correct?

Haha... shadow posts, but I caught it in email. So @JB, basically there is no stock steel iron shaft listed for these, it's Steelfiber or Tensei? I'd imagine they're going to open up their custom shaft options to these as well though, correct?

I believe a person will have options should they choose to go this route.

man i hope these are available next week at my fitting even if just to see them in person.

Those look fantastic. That's no more than a distant future Callaway pre-owned purchase for me though.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I guess I'm a minority on this one. I'm not a fan of the looks. Just a little busy for my tastes. Looks a lot like a Titleist T-MB iron. Interested in the technology though.

That's an absolute hard no for me on these clubs. At that price, and with those looks they ought to just be AI in club form and never ever have a miss-hit and take the human element out of the game entirely.

Buuuuuuut with the suspended weight technology and how they’ve been able to move the mass, of the lofts didn’t come down they would balloon like crazy. I know some don’t believe that, but it’s a true reason we have seen lofts come down like they have.

I get what you're saying, but I can't believe there isn't a noticeable net distance gain with a 41-degree PW. You're suggesting there is not? It seems to me the two gap wedges are there for a reason, plus the SW is more traditionally lofted.

I get what you're saying, but I can't believe there isn't a noticeable net distance gain with a 41-degree PW. You're suggesting there is not? It seems to me the two gap wedges are there for a reason, plus the SW is more traditionally lofted.

While this is not really pertaining to the PW, do you think an 8 degree and a 12 degree can both be drivers?

Liking the looks of these. Nice iron set. A little rich for my blood, but that’s ok with me. Options are good, and like others mentioned, would be great for some of the tech to trickle down to other releases.

Normally I’m a huge price point attacker, but Callaway is literally doing things never done in golf clubs before, which is crazy to think about and I’m sure breaks the minds of the ole golf clubs haven’t changed crew haha

Because of that, and the nature of the high end market, I’m good with this. Plus one has to assume we will see some trickle down of the tech in the future years to other irons (like last time) so there’s is always that option to just kick back and wait.
I think this gets overlooked in general with Callaway.

Not personally into them - the black insert on the back of the club looks cheap, which is not the feeling I want when spending $300 per iron. I'm sure they'll be great for someone out there.

I think they look good. I'd worry about holding a green with them but I want to hit them.

Liking the looks of these. Nice iron set. A little rich for my blood, but that’s ok with me. Options are good, and like others mentioned, would be great for some of the tech to trickle down to other releases.

You'd just buy them and cut one in half.

While this is not really pertaining to the PW, do you think an 8 degree and a 12 degree can both be drivers?

Absolutely they can. But like you said, it's not really the same thing. Some golfers will be longer with the 8-degree, and some will see more distance with the added loft. All else equal, I can't imagine a scenario where anybody would be longer with a 45-degree wedge than the same club in 41*. And unlike the top end of the bag where I'm primarily looking for distance, I need accuracy and consistency in my short irons. Based solely on the lofts, I would expect these new Epics to play about one club longer than my current irons, which is why I opined that the PW is really just a 9-iron in disguise. I could make them work if I had to, but other than trying to impress the others in my foursome, I just don't see the point.

This all has me wondering ... how many casual golfers have any idea what their lofts are? Or maybe a better question, how many think there is a standard lofting system for irons? I know when I first started golfing, I did. Needless to say, my first set of jacked irons (Cobra S2 Max) were a real eye-opener for me. They also created some gapping issues, which I will be careful not to repeat.

I can't wait to hear the tech story on these come December. Doc Hoc and his gang are some of the smartest in the business and I am confident there are design elements that require the lofts to be what they are to get maximum performance out of these.

People freaking out about the lofts and irons "going too far" act like they will hit the center of the face every time, when we all know we don't, but it's the internet and there are egos involved.

I wish I would not have read James review on these

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alright just want to get some clarity on one thing...

On the Apex CF19 the 4-8i are stamped with CF19.

9-AW have VFT to get more spin with scoring clubs. Awesome.

The Epic Forged has VFT in the long irons to help hold greens, as well as having the 360 Face Cup!? I also assume VFT is in the scoring clubs?

These look great and I would be fine with the price, but the lofts would be a big no for me...I prefer to carry Vokey PW, GW, SW and LW, so this would create a pretty ridiculous bag set up for me.

I think these look pretty nice. Tech story is interesting and I have no doubt they perform very well. But that price tag is a no go for me.

I have a 38.25" club that goes 214 yards with 3900 rpms of spin. What number do I stamp on the bottom? I could stamp a 4, a 6, an 8, whatever I want. Who decides this?

Absolutely they can. But like you said, it's not really the same thing. Some golfers will be longer with the 8-degree, and some will see more distance with the added loft. All else equal, I can't imagine a scenario where anybody would be longer with a 45-degree wedge than the same club in 41*. And unlike the top end of the bag where I'm primarily looking for distance, I need accuracy and consistency in my short irons. Based solely on the lofts, I would expect these new Epics to play about one club longer than my current irons, which is why I opined that the PW is really just a 9-iron in disguise. I could make them work if I had to, but other than trying to impress the others in my foursome, I just don't see the point.

This all has me wondering ... how many casual golfers have any idea what their lofts are? Or maybe a better question, how many think there is a standard lofting system for irons? I know when I first started golfing, I did. Needless to say, my first set of jacked irons (Cobra S2 Max) were a real eye-opener for me. They also created some gapping issues, which I will be careful not to repeat.

It could actually happen depending on the launch an individual has, just like with the driver example.
Its not as if there is a gap issue, because you can still go to 46 or whatever someone wants to go to.
The good news is every company has so many options now that we can find items we like. Thats why I am such a big fan of choices.

Has anybody actually tried the SteelFiber new shafts?
The graphite is the Tensei. Im wondering if there was some skimming or people saw that?

I noticed that in jmans review I did not know steelfiber was making steak shafts now

I noticed that in jmans review I did not know steelfiber was making steak shafts now

Haha at the typo.
They are still graphite in a sense, but its interesting that they are calling them the steel option.

Haha at the typo.
They are still graphite in a sense, but its interesting that they are calling them the steel option.

One of these days I will turn auto correct off haha.
Perhaps it’s because steelfibers play similar to a steel shaft?

Pretty nice looking iron with tons of tech. I love that Callaway competes at the high end market with all out tech while some others probably don't go anywhere near this level.

I think it would be fun to see if the 4i and 5i could replace my Apex 3h and 4h. :D

Back