Callaway Epic Forged Irons

Took me a few holes to get these dialed in. A shorter backswing and straight smoke on the back nine. These can absolutely be incredible distance but the beauty is in able to control the distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How was the stopping power for you?

How was the stopping power for you?

They stop like any other iron with the same number in the bag.

Callaway Epic Forged Irons

dab74fd6d7b23801b45bbe02818e8d24.jpg

Played with @wildcat4life this morning. He let me try his new epic 8 iron. After I smoked it straight down the range I just handed him his club back laughing. Amazing feel and effortless.

Happy to read your post as our HDCP’s are similar.

Can’t wait to get mine!

Happy to read your post as our HDCP’s are similar.

Can’t wait to get mine!

You are getting a sweet set of clubs. Enjoy them Iceman!

I hit these today but monitor was messed up so no #'s. I will say though that the sound was pleasing and the ball felt good off the face(Titleist practice balls).

I hit these yesterday. PGA tour SS had the Callaway rep there, but unfortunately he didnt have the entire fitting cart, only a couple shafts at standard length. The issue I thought may surface was the shaft length. I stuggled finding good hand position on the longer shaft compared to my shorter, fitted shafts I play. The good news is that there is a demo day happening this Saturday and the Callaway rep (very cool guy) said he would have everything there. I will be headed there Saturday.

My first thoughts seeing and hitting in person:

- The heads are smaller than I expected. WIth all the tech packed into these, I guess I expected a slightly bigger head. Not really the case.
- Club is really good looking in person.
- I hit my 7 iron (Mizuno JPX 900 HM) 5-6 shots to get a gauge on what the monitor was reading for yardage/height, etc. All good shots and made me feel good about comparing initially.
- As mentioned, I struggled finding center of club because of the longer shaft. Seemed to be fat or skinny on the first shots. I tried to adjust and hit a some ok and some decent. Again, I am very much looking forward to hitting Saturday when he will have different shaft lengths.
- Since I was having issues, this actually gave me a really good sense of what mis-hits would be like. Bottomline, yardage and dispersion was not bad at all. Very forgiving. Trust me, I explored the entire face of that club and ball speeds, distance and dispersion was very good.
- The loft decrease was definitely noticable, but something about the head makes it very minimal impact on thoughts.
- Carry on my 7 iron was between 150-155 and the Epic Forged was 15-20 yards longer, even with less than perfect strikes.
- The telling story (and determining factor of if I will pull the trigger on these) will be trying my shaft specs in these on Saturday. I am defintiely encouraged that these are a possibility.
- The forgiveness is clearly there, It will just be a decision based on performance gains with appropriate shaft length and not just a distance gain at the expense of consistent lesser yardages with reliable dispersion.

Have a great week.

My follow up from earlier in the week:

I went to the Callaway demo day and the rep was there with the shorter shafts and full fitting cart.

He already knew what I wanted to try and had it in my hand before I even sat my bag down. I have to say, this Callaway rep is super cool and an absolute great guy. Are they all like that? I dont go to too many demo days, so my experience is limited there.

Anyhow, the Epic Forged Irons are as advertised.

- Distance: approx 15 yards longer (estimated) than my Mizuno's and height was VERY similar.
- Feel was just ok for me. Very hot, but a more "Firm" feeling maybe?
- The thing that stood out was consistent distance off hte face, even if slightly not centered.
- Dispersion for me was not the best compared to my current irons. I really do think this is just an unfamiliarity thing and would most likely work out with time if I went with these. It was clear hitting outside with my current irons and the Epic Forged, probably 50 balls at least (I was the only one there at the time :)) that these are probably not for me. They are really nice and powerful, but I hit mine so good that the extra distance isnt going to get me there YET.
- If anyone wants a powerhouse iron that is beautiful, check these out.

I then hit the Epic Hybrids and these are rockets. I did not spend much time on these, as I love my Ping G410's and will not be changing. The Epics are very nice though.

The bulk of my time was spent on the Fairway hole in my bag. YES!! This was fun.

I hit the Epic Flash 5 and 3 Wood.

I am heading out for dinner now, so I will keep this brief.

The Epic 5 wood lofted down to 17* with the Even Flow shaft, um, yes. This thing was freaking great.
- Easiest fairway I think I have ever hit. This thing was effortless
- Flew further than my current 3 Wood that was set at 16* - not to mention I probably could have thrown a blanket on the shots on the range. It felt REALLY good.
- The rep said he never saw a bad shot with it from me and I wish I could have argued so it didnt require a purchase. :beauty: Maybe not, I am pumped about this club.
- Ordered the club on the spot and will wait patiently.

Have a great weekend all!!

I’m curious what shafts people are using or ordered with these? Aerotech or your current iron shaft you are fitted into?

Bryndom;n8873763 said:
I’m curious what shafts people are using or ordered with these? Aerotech or your current iron shaft you are fitted into?

I normally play modus and I went with aerotech. So far happy with the decision.

I also went with the Steelfiber in stiff to try something different and stay with what they intended for performance. Having tried a lot of different shafts over the years, I am trusting Callaway did some testing and decided this was the best combo for the head tech. If they don't work out, I will go back to Catalyst or I have always wanted to try the Fuji MCI 100 Black.

I’m on the fence here... I currently game the og epic irons 2017; want the new forged for sure - I tried the aerotech steelfiber at club champion in my current irons and they felt very boardy to me; I got far better results from nippon shafts in the old epics.

unfortunately, Pga superstore had neither setups for me to hit - I got to try the new epics with a catalyst shaft that didn’t work for me

Something to keep in mind, I also played steelfibers for a couple of years in several different brands of clubs and the i95 in stiff were too much for me but soft stepped they were about perfect.

I suspect that Callaway worked with aerotech to design these shafts for them and I am hoping they will play a bit softer and the "flight control" model is a different model all together. I hated to blind buy such expensive clubs but the offer they made me was too good to pass up and I had to pull the trigger by last Thursday to get it.

We will see....

Just looked the Aerotech website and the FC 90 is a 95 gram shaft but has a bit more torque than the i95 so maybe just maybe if it is a "made for callaway model" it will be a bit softer.

Bryndom;n8873763 said:

I went with the same shafts I had in my Rogue X Irons. Since the lofts are somewhat the same and was buying blind, I went with what I knew worked for me.

jim54;n8873883 said:
Something to keep in mind, I also played steelfibers for a couple of years in several different brands of clubs and the i95 in stiff were too much for me but soft stepped they were about perfect.

I suspect that Callaway worked with aerotech to design these shafts for them and I am hoping they will play a bit softer and the "flight control" model is a different model all together. I hated to blind buy such expensive clubs but the offer they made me was too good to pass up and I had to pull the trigger by last Thursday to get it.

We will see....

These are not designed for shafts. True aftermarket shafts offered by Aerotech on their website.

oh I see them on the aerotech website, just figured maybe callaway worked with them to optimze performance for the EPIC head. You might know are the catalyst exactly the same?

jim54;n8873906 said:
oh I see them on the aerotech website, just figured maybe callaway worked with them to optimze performance for the EPIC head. You might know are the catalyst exactly the same?

No tweaking of design as far as I know. I’m actually waiting on a chance to ask a question in person about the shaft selection once the chance presents itself.

ac203d21fac7ce01535dc40ad8f15498.jpg

Is there two better emails to get? #ChristmasInAugust

Iceman!;n8878087 said:
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com\/20190816\/ac203d21fac7ce01535dc40ad8f15498.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Is there two better emails to get? #ChristmasInAugust

Congrats! Let us know how they play

mine arrrive today, can't swing a club for another week or so

jim54;n8878249 said:

Waiting has to be the hardest part....

jim54;n8878249 said:

when you're able to swing, i want to get together and hit these!

I am waiting for a Demo day as I want to hit these so damn bad. Otherwise I am going to see how some swing changes and do another fitting.... But either way I will hit these... oh yes I will.

mancest;n8878599 said:
I am waiting for a Demo day as I want to hit these so damn bad. Otherwise I am going to see how some swing changes and do another fitting.... But either way I will hit these... oh yes I will.

Curious to see if they have different shaft options for you. Those that have hit the stock combo haven't like it.

Well mine are delivered on waiting at my door step - Got 2 rounds scheduled this weekend.
I'll try to grab some photos vs. Rogue X irons.

mikeg_74;n8878616 said:
Curious to see if they have different shaft options for you. Those that have hit the stock combo haven't like it.

hearing a lot of people say they're having trouble finding the middle of the face when testing. wondering how much of that is the shaft, and how much is the length.

Back