Callaway Epic Forged Irons

McLovin;n8878618 said:
hearing a lot of people say they're having trouble finding the middle of the face when testing. wondering how much of that is the shaft, and how much is the length.

Makes me feel a little better that I got a shaft and S/W that I'm used to.
It's all I got to hang on to....

mikeg_74;n8878616 said:
Curious to see if they have different shaft options for you. Those that have hit the stock combo haven't like it.

This is why I kind of want to go to an independent fitter to see how the head compares on their own. Going longer in the shaft length is not something I want to do in my irons. I have liked steel fibers in the past, but longer and lighter could throw a lot of people for a loop.

McLovin;n8878618 said:
hearing a lot of people say they're having trouble finding the middle of the face when testing. wondering how much of that is the shaft, and how much is the length.

I think a little of both, but would think length would play a bigger role. Steelfibers aren't the easiest to load and might contribute to finding bottom of the swing at impact.

McLovin;n8878596 said:
when you're able to swing, i want to get together and hit these!

It is going to be tough to not try them, but looking down at the bandage on my hand and not wanting to blow it out and risk not being ready for Idaho will keep me honest..

McLovin;n8878618 said:

I have a friend who is a worse club ho than I am. He ordered a set after seeing the one online review that gushed over them. He ordered them with the Catalyst 100 shafts. I have played a round with him and hit them on almost every shot where I needed an iron. These irons are, in a word, amazing. They are long, but stop on a dime. I don’t care that all of the dry ball data says that these don’t spin enough, I am telling anybody who wants to listen that they stop as quickly as any iron I have played. They are as long as anything I have ever hit, but the best thing about them is how they retain distance on misses. I did not feel that they are hard to find middle of the face. To the contrary, they are extremely easy to hit. Plus, they are so long that you can really dial back your swing and still get what you need. If you can deal with a little junk in the trunk on 7 iron and lower, don’t mind spending the cash, and can figure out what to do with your bag for 120 yards and in, these are damn good irons.

Last edited:
Well I am a bit disappointed to say the least, took mine out of the box and put them on the SW scale and they vary from C7.5 to C9.

They were ordered at D2 and that was confirmed on the order form at the time of order and the form in the box, but surprise they are wrong. Talked with my CS guy and he has already sent me a return label and they have been reordered, I asked that the L/L also be checked prior to shipment since now I am nervous about the QC again.

$300 a stick is too much for mistakes

jim54;n8878683 said:
Well I am a bit disappointed to say the least, took mine out of the box and put them on the SW scale and they vary from C7.5 to C9.

They were ordered at D2 and that was confirmed on the order form at the time of order and the form in the box, but surprise they are wrong. Talked with my CS guy and he has already sent me a return label and they have been reordered, I asked that the L/L also be checked prior to shipment since now I am nervous about the QC again.

WOW that is crazy!!!! At least they are trying to make it right.

Tenputt;n8878651 said:
I have a friend who is a worse club ho than I am. He ordered a set after seeing the one online review that gushed over them. He ordered them with the Catalyst 100 shafts. I have played a round with him and hit them on almost every shot where I needed an iron. These irons are, in a word, amazing. They are long, but stop on a dime. I don’t care that all of the dry ball data says that these don’t spin enough, I am telling anybody who wants to listen that they stop as quickly as any iron I have played. They are as long as anything I have ever hit, but the best thing about them is how they retain distance on misses. I did not feel that they are hard to find middle of the face. To the contrary, they are extremely easy to hit. Plus, they are so long that you can really dial back your swing and still get what you need. If you can deal with a little junk in the trunk on 7 iron and lower, don’t mind spending the cash, and can figure out what to do with your bag for 120 yards and in, these are damn good irons.

After playing a couple of rounds with these. This is an excellent take. 4 iron feels too long of a club off the deck but fine for me off the tee. All other clubs couldn't be happier with. My guess is that the consistency will only get better.

Wildcat4life;n8878698 said:
After playing a couple of rounds with these. This is an excellent take. 4 iron feels too long of a club off the deck but fine for me off the tee. All other clubs couldn't be happier with. My guess is that the consistency will only get better.

You're become my next best friend with posts like this......until after tomorrow's round.

jim54;n8878683 said:

Wow, that is disappointing, to say the least.

Luckily I cannot swing a club for a bit so there is time to get it right, glad I am paraniod about these things and checked them out of the box.

jim54;n8878683 said:

They have to fix this QC stuff. Between the Apex’s being off and now these, it doesn’t give good vibes when ordering gear that costs as much as these do.

frankly, I don't think there is any QC per say at the factory level unless it is a special order that they have to look at. I have been told they have a laser L/L machine and the best swing weight scale available but if they don't take the time to check each set then errors happen.

If they can send out the top of the line flagship irons wrong, then no one is looking at outgoing sets and the build has to just be pull parts and stick them together. Now mine were stock except for midsize grips so someone would have had to account for the grips and add head weight which was not done apparently.

The APEX pros I ordered 2 deg. strong at the same length basically (+50") and the same grips were perfect D2 all of them, so someone had to take the time to check the heads adjust for loft and install the grips.

But that being said that is the 1st set I have ever gotten straight from the factory that was correct as ordered and I have ordered quite a few sets going back many years.

I am concerned about the QC stuff, though I am certain Callaway isn't the only OEM with these problems. To your point, if you are going to classify something as "ultra premium" and charge accordingly, they should have an extra QC step on those clubs to make darn sure they go out right.

I am glad (and with my past experiences, expected nothing less) that Callaway is making this right for you.

mikeg_74;n8878723 said:
They have to fix this QC stuff. Between the Apex’s being off and now these, it doesn’t give good vibes when ordering gear that costs as much as these do.

Agreed... The only set of irons that I have ever got from Callaway that was dead on to ordered spec, was my Grandaddy Iron Set. And I've ordered many Callaway iron sets, as I've played Callaway irons since the X-18s...

Photos vs. Rogue X
1dd3645c3d296958ef1aabcaa149d2f9.jpg

509cfb5e495824d198aef982c68f4222.jpg

8e7b956dd1904ad4ddc314085ecf0f3c.jpg

I got mine 1/2” short and they match Rogue X Irons so I’m happy about that.

Asked for C9 SW and got C7 on 3 clubs that I crudely measured. Which is ok because my Rogue X were C5/6.

Epic’s are about 9 grams lighter than Rogue X on 3 clubs I measured.

I have to say they are gorgeous, not nearly as big as I expected and the sole width is just about perfect to my eye.

Iceman! That is a good comparison

jim54;n8878827 said:
I have to say they are gorgeous, not nearly as big as I expected and the sole width is just about perfect to my eye.

92943a11a822c10e1171607cdec3225b.jpg

I like the hosel shows E19 instead of CF17 like the OG epics... nice touch

I should have snapped a photo of these next to my Cobra F9 irons. The Epic Forged are ever so slightly shorter in profile, but I believe that many of the Callaway offerings are a little shorter from heal to toe.

As gorgeous and as tech forward as these are, they are 1000% not a possibility for my bag unless I somehow stumble over a bargain in like 5 years or so.

Iceman!;n8878846 said:
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com\/20190816\/92943a11a822c10e1171607cdec3225b.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Looks great. Not sure what range of irons you got but any chance you can post a pic or two with different angles of the 4 and the most lofted club you have? Shops here for some reason only have sets with the AW thru 6. Weird. Thanks

jwalters;n8878912 said:
Looks great. Not sure what range of irons you got but any chance you can post a pic or two with different angles of the 4 and the most lofted club you have? Shops here for some reason only have sets with the AW thru 6. Weird. Thanks

I’m only got 6-GW.

Back