Callaway Epic Forged Irons

I’m not sure I can imagine hitting the 4 or 5... that 6i is very strongly lofted as is! I’m sure many of the retail shops just figure not many would want more than the 6

jim54;n8878683 said:
Well I am a bit disappointed to say the least, took mine out of the box and put them on the SW scale and they vary from C7.5 to C9.

They were ordered at D2 and that was confirmed on the order form at the time of order and the form in the box, but surprise they are wrong. Talked with my CS guy and he has already sent me a return label and they have been reordered, I asked that the L/L also be checked prior to shipment since now I am nervous about the QC again.

$300 a stick is too much for mistakes

have they ever gotten it right the first time for you? seems like yours are always off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

McLovin;n8879025 said:
have they ever gotten it right the first time for you? seems like yours are always off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The APEX 19 pro were spot on perfect, I think it has a lot to do with checking them out of the box not waiting until there is an odd issue. The rogue pros I ordered though David Leadbetter took 2 times to get them right and they caught the problem because they check all orders upon arrival.

I guess most folks don't care or just trust they are correct...which rarely they are and it is most likely not just a Callaway issue, but because they move a lot of product it just seems to be more for them.

I had nothing to do so when the box came yesterday I thought what the heck and put the 1st one on the scale which was the PW and it showed not quite C7.5 so I put the APEX pro PW on the scale and it was spot on D2 so I checked them all and they were all different, but C9 at the highest. Which was sad that they were not all at least the same way off from the order.

I really want to give these a swing just to see how much distance I would pick up over my current set. I'm also curious if there's any way possible they would give me enough spin to hold a green.

KEV;n8879082 said:
I really want to give these a swing just to see how much distance I would pick up over my current set. I'm also curious if there's any way possible they would give me enough spin to hold a green.

I guarantee you that they hold greens just fine.

Reactions: KEV
A couple of photos... The black iron is my Cobra FTB 6 iron, a players distance iron that is well liked by many on the forum, particularly participants in the beloved Morgan Cup. It is a great iron. The other is the Epic Forged 6 iron. The profiles are not very different from each other, nor is the sole. I found it interesting. F64D8B68-A265-4F89-8085-E6F507545608.jpeg83B4E797-FC0E-45B9-B759-0400990B9D7F.jpeg

Snickerdog;n8638223 said:
I hit these today but monitor was messed up so no #'s. I will say though that the sound was pleasing and the ball felt good off the face(Titleist practice balls).

I am so interested in the sound quality. If they get it right, I think a LOT of things are in place to be the best iron in that price range.

Ok, got 2 rounds in and can give some initial thoughts. Just a little background on me, I’m “Champions Tour” age and the pure definition of a “Bogey” player with a HDCP of 18. The last 2 sets of irons I’ve played are Bridgestone JGR Hybrid Irons and Rogue X Irons, so SGI. I picked up the Epic Forged Irons to hopefully pick up some distance, gain some accuracy and use technology to use a set of irons that weren’t SGIs’. Always dreamed of playing an iron that wasn’t a “Shovel”.

So on Saturday, I hit the 7i on the range, every time I looked over the Epic Forged, this little voice kept saying “You can’t play this iron, it’s too small, too much of a player’s iron”. I hit ok on the range, no real Distance gain over my Rogue X irons.

During the round, I seemed to hit them just ”Ok” , it seemed like I pushed everything to the right. Distance was about the same. They’re just so different from what I’ve been been playing. I left the course on Saturday a little disappointed but not discouraged.

So today, my tee time this morning was rained out and had to wait until 2 to play. The course was wet and we were CPO. Today’s round with the Epic Forged was much better. I just relaxed and “Swing my swing”. Contact was really good and feel much better about gaming them long term.

One thing I’ve noticed is that I’m much more accurate with Epic Forged over Rogue X.

They feel great and when I need to use them to chip or bump and run, they are easy to use.

The sole is so much easier to use over the X irons. It’s really different, a nice feeling.

The club heads feel a little lighter and I’m struggling with them on the tee. Think I’ll need some range time to get that straightened out.

Distance, I don’t think I’m going to gain that much to be honest unless I become a better ball striker. The Epic Forged and the Rogue X are the same lofts, so I’m not surprised not get a huge distance gain.

I feel like irons are built correctly as my turf interaction feels like the X irons.

I think what the technology as done is allow a Bogey golfer play a better iron and not lose any distance.

I’ll update more as I use them for the rest of the year.

Iceman!;n8880199 said:
Ok, got 2 rounds in and can give some initial thoughts. Just a little background on me, I’m “Champions Tour” age and the pure definition of a “Bogey” player with a HDCP of 18. The last 2 sets of irons I’ve played are Bridgestone JGR Hybrid Irons and Rogue X Irons, so SGI. I picked up the Epic Forged Irons to hopefully pick up some distance, gain some accuracy and use technology to use a set of irons that weren’t SGIs’. Always dreamed of playing an iron that wasn’t a “Shovel”.

So on Saturday, I hit the 7i on the range, every time I looked over the Epic Forged, this little voice kept saying “You can’t play this iron, it’s too small, too much of a player’s iron”. I hit ok on the range, no real Distance gain over my Rogue X irons.

During the round, I seemed to hit them just ”Ok” , it seemed like I pushed everything to the right. Distance was about the same. They’re just so different from what I’ve been been playing. I left the course on Saturday a little disappointed but not discouraged.

So today, my tee time this morning was rained out and had to wait until 2 to play. The course was wet and we were CPO. Today’s round with the Epic Forged was much better. I just relaxed and “Swing my swing”. Contact was really good and feel much better about gaming them long term.

One thing I’ve noticed is that I’m much more accurate with Epic Forged over Rogue X.

They feel great and when I need to use them to chip or bump and run, they are easy to use.

The sole is so much easier to use over the X irons. It’s really different, a nice feeling.

The club heads feel a little lighter and I’m struggling with them on the tee. Think I’ll need some range time to get that straightened out.

Distance, I don’t think I’m going to gain that much to be honest unless I become a better ball striker. The Epic Forged and the Rogue X are the same lofts, so I’m not surprised not get a huge distance gain.

I feel like irons are built correctly as my turf interaction feels like the X irons.

I think what the technology as done is allow a Bogey golfer play a better iron and not lose any distance.

I’ll update more as I use them for the rest of the year.

Nice feedback.

Question for THPers. What sets would you compare this line to?

JB;n8882146 said:

For me it would be the Titleist T-MBs.

JB;n8882146 said:

They are kind of a unicorn from what I can observe.

JB;n8882146 said:

i don't know much about them, but maybe titleist concept series? i also put a few swings on a set of yonex clubs yesterday, i think the cb 701. the club builder was telling me they are similar to the epic forged that had come through his shop recently.

JB;n8882146 said:

My initial thought was the new TaylorMade P790Ti set. Tungsten cores, respective proprietary face flexing technology, similar strong lofts, similar color schemes, lightweight stock shaft offerings, speedfoam/microspheres, similar premium price points.

JB;n8882146 said:

TaylorMade P790 or Titleist TMB are what pop in to my head right away.

KEV;n8882268 said:
TaylorMade P790 or Titleist TMB are what pop in to my head right away.

i was thinking more of AP3 meets concept irons but marries P790s

Reactions: KEV
PowerCobra98;n8882288 said:
That's quite the love triangle there.

fits the product though

I am very unhappy with the way this is developing, now Callaway says that due to backorders on the heads they will not start on them until the 29th. IMO they should push my rebuild to the top of the line since they screwed up the order and I have voiced that concern to them.

This could be the end of my Callaway period if this turns out badly and I have to rent clubs to play in the Event.

Not sure if anyone from Callaway follows this thread or even cares but man this is upsetting.

jim54;n8882777 said:
I am very unhappy with the way this is developing, now Callaway says that due to backorders on the heads they will not start on them until the 29th. IMO they should push my rebuild to the top of the line since they screwed up the order and I have voiced that concern to them.

This could be the end of my Callaway period if this turns out badly and I have to rent clubs to play in the Event.

Not sure if anyone from Callaway follows this thread or even cares but man this is upsetting.

That doesn't sound good at all. Hopefully they get to it sooner. You are in THP Championship?

jim54;n8882777 said:

that is very surprising. great for callaway that they're selling enough of these to be backordered, but pretty bad that they aren't accelerating your issue given that it was their fault in the first place.

jim54;n8882777 said:

Not cool. They should be pushed to the top as you preordered and then their build team failed.

I have had another conversation with my Sales Rep. and he assures me I am not pushed to the back of the line and they just did not expect the response on these irons being so high. Sure I am happy for them to sell more than expected but that does not help my situation, he changed his statement to at worst they would start on them the 29th but if they got the heads in sooner then it would be sooner. In my Business we would be air freighting in the needed parts, so the Customer was up and running ASAP but this is just a set of clubs...

It does not change the fact I am hanging out there and not happy with fact for the price the QC was not spot on and checked prior to shipping. It would be interesting to know how many sets of irons and other clubs leave that factory every day, probably a huge number so sure things slip from time to time.

It would be interesting to know the return rate, not something anyone would share most likely and quite possibly not huge number as most folks don't know to look or care. Just us nut cases that check every little thing in hopes of finding some magic.

Back