Callaway Epic Forged Irons

jim54;n8882924 said:
I have had another conversation with my Sales Rep. and he assures me I am not pushed to the back of the line and they just did not expect the response on these irons being so high. Sure I am happy for them to sell more than expected but that does not help my situation, he changed his statement to at worst they would start on them the 29th but if they got the heads in sooner then it would be sooner. In my Business we would be air freighting in the needed parts, so the Customer was up and running ASAP but this is just a set of clubs...

It does not change the fact I am hanging out there and not happy with fact for the price the QC was not spot on and checked prior to shipping. It would be interesting to know how many sets of irons and other clubs leave that factory every day, probably a huge number so sure things slip from time to time.

It would be interesting to know the return rate, not something anyone would share most likely and quite possibly not huge number as most folks don't know to look or care. Just us nut cases that check every little thing in hopes of finding some magic.

This is disappointing to say the least. You would think that the APex release would have been a good way to learn some lessons and fix the QC issues with a club that costs as much as these do. You are way more patient than I am as I would have canceled the order and just waiting until it was all resolved.

mikeg_74;n8882989 said:
This is disappointing to say the least. You would think that the APex release would have been a good way to learn some lessons and fix the QC issues with a club that costs as much as these do. You are way more patient than I am as I would have canceled the order and just waiting until it was all resolved.
I seriously thought of canceling the order and dumping all the Callaway stuff and going all titleist or Epon or muira, But there is no way to do that and have it all in my hands by next week.

Just hoping it works out for the best at this point. Going to be tough to beat @JasonFinleyCC with rental clubs..

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I had my 7i measured today at a Golf Shop:
Loft is 28° vs. 27° it’s supposed to be
Lie is 62.3° vs. 63° I ordered
Swing weight is C8 vs. C9 I ordered.

I see this as being pretty close.
I wonder how much 1° weaker on the loft would affect yardage.

I did get a chance to work with the set A wedge today. Got some nice spin even with hard as rock range balls. Think I have a pretty good fit based on the contact pattern:

8ca5c16d491d696dc7e079ceb8b76435.jpg

2bfc52b80eb8f391b85f7674b82e5ab5.jpg

Iceman!;n8886338 said:
I had my 7i measured today at a Golf Shop:
Loft is 28° vs. 27° it’s supposed to be
Lie is 62.3° vs. 63° I ordered
Swing weight is C8 vs. C9 I ordered.

I see this as being pretty close.
I wonder how much 1° weaker on the loft would affect yardage.

I did get a chance to work with the set A wedge today. Got some nice spin even with hard as rock range balls. Think I have a pretty good fit based on the contact pattern:

8ca5c16d491d696dc7e079ceb8b76435.jpg

2bfc52b80eb8f391b85f7674b82e5ab5.jpg

TBH, that difference really could just be different machines they’re being measured on.

Latest update on mine is there is no change at this point, still hoping for a mid week shipping and not the 29th and I offered to pay for next day shipping instead of the 2 day offered to try and salvage some golf for next weekend.

Not the best feeling to be already a bit turned off before even hitting them and the lack of seeming to really give a $@#! by Callaway is not making things better. The sales rep is doing what he can, but he has no control over anything and frankly I would have expected someone a bit higher up to reach out and at least say something.

Not the best way you break into the premium club market imo, but bitching about it here is all I am doing so not a real world issue for Callaway.

jim54;n8887653 said:
Latest update on mine is there is no change at this point, still hoping for a mid week shipping and not the 29th and I offered to pay for next day shipping instead of the 2 day offered to try and salvage some golf for next weekend.

Not the best feeling to be already a bit turned off before even hitting them and the lack of seeming to really give a $@#! by Callaway is not making things better. The sales rep is doing what he can, but he has no control over anything and frankly I would have expected someone a bit higher up to reach out and at least say something.

Not the best way you break into the premium club market imo, but bitching about it here is all I am doing so not a real world issue for Callaway.

Sorry your experience has not been the best... I can say that I have had nothing but superior customer service from Callaway the time or two that an issue has arisen.

Tenputt;n8887686 said:
Sorry your experience has not been the best... I can say that I have had nothing but superior customer service from Callaway the time or two that an issue has arisen.
Oh I have also, just had high expectations on this set

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Should have the 5/6 in hand on Monday, little photo op, maybe some video, then it’s throwdown time!

I think it’s gonna be a fun write up.

Jman;n8887733 said:
Should have the 5/6 in hand on Monday, little photo op, maybe some video, then it’s throwdown time!

I think it’s gonna be a fun write up.

Duuuuude. I can’t wait to see how long these are with your swing.

I’m just getting caught up in here but I’m shocked to hear they are on backorder already. Absolutely shocked. I continue to underestimate the premium markets.

Molten;n8887861 said:
I’m just getting caught up in here but I’m shocked to hear they are on backorder already. Absolutely shocked. I continue to underestimate the premium markets.

It’s impressive...but knowing how many sets were made would paint the picture of just how much it is....or maybe isn’t?

Molten;n8887847 said:
Duuuuude. I can’t wait to see how long these are with your swing.

I’ll give it the ole college try for sure haha

Jman;n8887877 said:
It’s impressive...but knowing how many sets were made would paint the picture of just how much it is....or maybe isn’t?

You are absolutely right. But I have a feeling I’ll never know this answer.

Molten;n8888028 said:

I suspect you may find out some based upon what happens in the second hand market over the next 6-12 months. But it’s great news that interest has seemingly resulted in sales. The support given to these types of release results in manufacturers continuing to push the envelope of technology. I think early buyers are less concerned about the price tag, and more concerned with value related to performance.

Molten;n8888028 said:

I'll try to remember and ask this very question in December.

It had to be a pretty limited run for them to run out 2 weeks in, they already have the 1st set back in hand so maybe they will pull the heads and add tip weights to get the SW where it should be. I have pulled quite a few Callaway stock shafts and have seen the tip weights used, not sure if they keep different weight heads to adjust SW like some JDM Companies do which would be nice and explain the lead time better.

I have looked into building a full JDM set and it is normally 4 weeks or really don't ask when, we will call when they are done. So I am spoiled wanting them turned around in week.

tomcat;n8888178 said:
I'll try to remember and ask this very question in December.

That sounds like a plan but I’d imagine you will get a creative answer.

Had a really great round today with my Epic Forged Irons. Birdied a par 3 today at 140 yards into the wind with 6i that was all over the flag.
I can't put into words how impressed I am with the dispersion. I mean they have been lasers for me.
Still a little short yardagewize however it's getting closer as I hit them more.
I have been hitting higher compression balls so far with them, but tomorrow I'm going to put the new TP5 into play hoping a little soft, less spin ball might gain back some distance.
If I had to guess, the F4 soft-stepped once was not enough to give me the extra umph I need -
Might have Peoples Golf either soft step them again or go F3's in the winter although I hate to give up the weight as the club is light already.

Iceman! Good thoughts there.

Im excited to get to work with the 5/6, so much tech and new design in these that one can’t help but be curious until that first shot is hit.

So, my buddy let me take his set of Epic Forged irons for a round today. They are shafted with Catalyst 100 6.0 shafts. Honestly, these are the closest thing to “buying” a game that I have ever experienced. For their target audience, they are superb. They feel great, they are as forgiving as any game improvement iron I have hit relative to the number on the bottom and they are LONG. They stop plenty easily.

First time out, I hit 15 GIR, which is the best of ‘2019 for me. Are they worth their price? Obviously, that is an individual question, but I truly believe that if I gamed these full time, they would reduce my handicap by a stroke.

Jman;n8889222 said:
Iceman! Good thoughts there.

Im excited to get to work with the 5/6, so much tech and new design in these that one can’t help but be curious until that first shot is hit.

Looking forward to your thoughts!

Tenputt;n8889780 said:
So, my buddy let me take his set of Epic Forged irons for a round today. They are shafted with Catalyst 100 6.0 shafts. Honestly, these are the closest thing to “buying” a game that I have ever experienced. For their target audience, they are superb. They feel great, they are as forgiving as any game improvement iron I have hit relative to the number on the bottom and they are LONG. They stop plenty easily.

First time out, I hit 15 GIR, which is the best of ‘2019 for me. Are they worth their price? Obviously, that is an individual question, but I truly believe that if I gamed these full time, they would reduce my handicap by a stroke.

That sounds like a fun combo! Nice GIR stat! :clapp:

I got to hit these today and I was blown away how LONG these irons are. My Ben Hogan PTx seven iron is relatively weak lofted at 35 degrees and I carry it 160 and total about 170-175. I walked in cold and after three partial swings I let it fly. I had read some reviews and knew they were going to be long but I could not believe the numbers that flashed up on the screen. I am not good at interpretation of the numbers so I will let them speak for themselves.

These shots were all hit with a Epic Forged seven iron with an Elevate 120 stiff shaft.

20190826_105743.jpg

So much tech packed into an attractive compact package.

20190826_113426.jpg

20190826_114002.jpg

20190826_114256.jpg

20190826_115029.jpg

I did not have my best swing today so there was were some left and some right but they were all LONG!! My ballstriking is never very good in a dark enclosed bay so I can say that these are indeed forgiving and easy to hit. I started with the Elevate 95 stiff and was pulling everything left. I switched to the stock Steelfiber shaft and saw a drop in distance although it straightened out. I switched to the Elevate 120 stiff and that was the best of the three.

For those who say that this is not a seven iron its a five iron with a 7 on the bottom I can understand that point of view. The thing that stood out for me is that this felt as easy to hit as my own seven iron. The thought of effortless 200 yard shots into the green sounds a lot better than how I feel standing over my 5 iron at address. I am worried about the low spin numbers and low launch so I hope to hear from some of you who are knowledgeable on the subject.

Bottom line, forget the price and go hit a 200 yard seven iron. Its too much fun to miss!!

badolds;n8890844 said:
I got to hit these today and I was blown away how LONG these irons are. My Ben Hogan PTx seven iron is relatively weak lofted at 35 degrees and I carry it 160 and total about 170-175. I walked in cold and after three partial swings I let it fly. I had read some reviews and knew they were going to be long but I could not believe the numbers that flashed up on the screen. I am not good at interpretation of the numbers so I will let them speak for themselves.

These shots were all hit with a Epic Forged seven iron with an Elevate 120 stiff shaft.

So much tech packed into an attractive compact package.

I did not have my best swing today so there was were some left and some right but they were all LONG!! My ballstriking is never very good in a dark enclosed bay so I can say that these are indeed forgiving and easy to hit. I started with the Elevate 95 stiff and was pulling everything left. I switched to the stock Steelfiber shaft and saw a drop in distance although it straightened out. I switched to the Elevate 120 stiff and that was the best of the three.

For those who say that this is not a seven iron its a five iron with a 7 on the bottom I can understand that point of view. The thing that stood out for me is that this felt as easy to hit as my own seven iron. The thought of effortless 200 yard shots into the green sounds a lot better than how I feel standing over my 5 iron at address. I am worried about the low spin numbers and low launch so I hope to hear from some of you who are knowledgeable on the subject.

Bottom line, forget the price and go hit a 200 yard seven iron. Its too much fun to miss!!

I don’t see enough numbers to evaluate. I would want to see your descent angle and peak height. I have already said it, but when I hit this in the store, my spin numbers were very low, but these irons stop as well for me as anything I have ever hit, with the exception of a true forged one piece cavity back or blade.

badolds ;n8890844 said:

Great thoughts Dan!!! Great looking iron, but yes those spin #'s are pretty low for a 7 iron.

Back