How much concern should this cause..?

I played a CS on Sunday and it's pretty beat up. Hit some trees, hit 2 cart paths. How do I slice mine open without the device?

Butter knife?

You can use a splitting maul. Probably won’t have anything left though.

The ball in the OP is pink inside, yours is blue. Are you sure they are the same model ball ?

That looks like last years Chrome Soft core.

I played a CS on Sunday and it's pretty beat up. Hit some trees, hit 2 cart paths. How do I slice mine open without the device?

Butter knife?

I use a PVC pipe cutter.

armour-line-pipe-tube-cutters-rp77151-64_1000.jpg

You can use a splitting maul. Probably won’t have anything left though.

I’ve used a bench vise and hacksaw before.

I take the same stance with this as I do with a recent broken shaft. Manufacturing defect that likely represents 0.000001% of products that might make it to consumers.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

That looks like last years Chrome Soft core.

The one I just cut (blue inside) is a chrome soft X- with Triple track. This years model.

MGS is getting people to voluntarily destroy perfectly good golf balls. Sure the ones you open might be good... but what about the ones you are playing with? Ah now it's in your head!

Out of sight, out of mind IMO

And according to their IG post, they have talked to Callaway's CEO and Callaway plans on investing in improving their golf ball facility. Didn't they already do that? lol

And according to their IG post, they have talked to Callaway's CEO and Callaway plans on investing in improving their golf ball facility. Didn't they already do that? lol

might be the ceo's way of pacifying this, and making the mgs guys feel like their work made a difference. when every company every year invests in improving every part of the process...

I'm sure it can always improve. This is just Callaway getting ahead of it. I doubt we will hear what steps (if any) will be taken *that is if steps even need to be taken

Rather than saying 'no way that never happens' just say 'we will look into it, thanks" ... and now back to our regularly scheduled programming

I'm sure it can always improve. This is just Callaway getting ahead of it. I doubt we will hear what steps (if any) will be taken *that is if steps even need to be taken

Rather than saying 'no way that never happens' just say 'we will look into it, thanks" ... and now back to our regularly scheduled programming
Kind of my point. A blanket statement to appease them.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Melodramatic at its core.... pun intended. This does nothing to influence my opinion of the OEM.
Like every other industry where QC tolerances are in play, sometimes these controls are imperfect and need to be revisited and I’m sure these are on a continuous basis... improvement is dynamic

I like @Nate’s suggestion for a money back guarantee.... I’m heading to Home Depot to purchase a band saw....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Melodramatic at its core.... pun intended. This does nothing to influence my opinion of the OEM.
Like every other industry where QC tolerances are in play, sometimes these controls are imperfect and need to be revisited and I’m sure these are on a continuous basis... improvement is dynamic

I like @Nate’s suggestion for a money back guarantee.... I’m heading to Home Depot to purchase a band saw....

PVC cutters work better. Just not on Rock Flites.

I think anyone who has ever been in manufacturing or close to it would understand, this should cause zero concern. If you saw every defective product that made it into the marketplace, you would really be concerned. I work in pharmaceuticals with some of the tightest tolerances as variance could result in fatalities and most if not all I'm this space have seen product enter the market outside of spec.
Also, I don't know what the tolerances are in a golf ball (as it relates to core placement) that would create a significant impact to performance, but I'd argue that club delivery is still going to be the defining factor.
Lastly, as many have already stated, I'd like to knkw how many balls were cut to find this one. How many were flawless. We're other brands put through the same tests?

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Here's some context to help the conversation along. Using fake data, I plotted a scenario where an OEM who makes roughly 5 million golf balls a year is experiencing some level of defects in their process. Meaning, bad golf balls are produced (which happens all the time). 5 million balls a year is about 104,166 golf balls a week.

View attachment 40395

That graph, a "P-Chart", shows proportion of defective units.

The red lines = control limits (3 standard deviations above and below the mean, or the green line in the middle)

Blue lines = % defective that day, which is labeled on the x-axis on the bottom.

We want to look for data points that fall above, or below, the control limits. Those are called special cause variance, or signals. A signal suggests something needs further investigation.

EVERY process in the word has some level of variance, btw.

In this example, assumed around 5000 defective golf balls are produced each week. If those make it to customers, with regularity, there's an issue. However, only TWO instances did higher than expected defects occur (2/5 and 3/19).

One way to interpret: something happened on 2/5 that caused significantly higher defects to be produced. Does this mean we need to completely alter the way we manufacture? Is there a systemic problem? What about all the other days that are in control?
Masterfully explained.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Hear me out. What if this ball was made purposely wrong and "leaked" so it could be cut open prompting others to cut a part their Chrome Softs. After finding good balls, these cutters would have to go out and buy replacement Chrome Softs

This was just an elaborate ruse by Callaway to boost their ball sales.

Here's some context to help the conversation along. Using fake data, I plotted a scenario where an OEM who makes roughly 5 million golf balls a year is experiencing some level of defects in their process. Meaning, bad golf balls are produced (which happens all the time). 5 million balls a year is about 104,166 golf balls a week.

View attachment 40395

That graph, a "P-Chart", shows proportion of defective units.

The red lines = control limits (3 standard deviations above and below the mean, or the green line in the middle)

Blue lines = % defective that day, which is labeled on the x-axis on the bottom.

We want to look for data points that fall above, or below, the control limits. Those are called special cause variance, or signals. A signal suggests something needs further investigation.

EVERY process in the word has some level of variance, btw.

In this example, assumed around 5000 defective golf balls are produced each week. If those make it to customers, with regularity, there's an issue. However, only TWO instances did higher than expected defects occur (2/5 and 3/19).

One way to interpret: something happened on 2/5 that caused significantly higher defects to be produced. Does this mean we need to completely alter the way we manufacture? Is there a systemic problem? What about all the other days that are in control?

It’s like you work with numbers for a living or something :)

Side note: The R&D side of this always fascinates me. I wonder how many golf balls Bridgestone cuts up to reverse engineer. Same for Callaway, TM, Titleist, etc.

Wonder how many Bryson cuts up after they fail his test.

Hear me out. What if this ball was made purposely wrong and "leaked" so it could be cut open prompting others to cut a part their Chrome Softs. After finding good balls, these cutters would have to go out and buy replacement Chrome Softs

I would argue the risk on the other side.... that is, if a bunch of people start cutting balls open any more of these were are out there the OEM would have a serious PR problem and ball sales would tumble.

Conspiracy Theorists Unite!!! I like it! lol

"this is why i stick with the name brands"

this sort of thing happens to every company

Although this is disheartening, its kinda like buying a car and worrying about it being a lemon as you drive it off the lot. Anytime you mass produce anything, there's a margin of quality loss.

The cynic in me wonders how many balls he cut in half before he found this one...

I asked the question. Answer was less than 2. I then asked if he cut anymore, no reply as of yet.

This has been interesting to follow and read along. Clearly we have love for Callaway on these forums and clearly there are those skeptical of MGS. I do like those who can separate their brand loyalty and just give unbiased opinions. I am an electrical and computer engineer so I understand defects in production as well as the six sigma zone that all companies would love to be in but few actually obtain. We are missing the defect rate which is huge. If this is 1 in 12 that's quite a problem. If it's 1 in 10,000 that's a little more palatable. We also don't know the extent at which that issue affects actual performance. The one thing that keeps hitting me is that one of those balls could cause Phil Mickelson a major. I'm hoping there's an extra step that prevents that. Most of us don't make our living on a golf course so a bad ball is not as big of an issue. But what if you are in your club championship and striking the ball well but getting iffy results? If you cut that ball open and saw something like this I'm sure it would cause frustration and could hurt that brand loyalty. Once again, with the low defect rate that most production facilities boast it would be very unlikely for that situation to occur. What I wouldn't give to be sitting across from Dean Snell right now with a beer in hand getting his take!!

Am I alone in the fact that it’s all just noise to me and really doesn’t show me anything?

Am I alone in the fact that it’s all just noise to me and really doesn’t show me anything?

I don't think so. I think quite a few of us are in that group from what I read. 93Civiccpe just basically summed it up again. Without knowing if this is one in 10, one in 10,000 or 1 in 10,000,000, its really just a novelty.

problem with it is that after the posting of the update that Callaway CEO spoke with them about it and they post about it and it adds fuel to the disruption machine that Adam is. The comments are downright ridiculous. It's golf Scientology with them sometimes.

Back