How much concern should this cause..?

Well of course all the bad shots were the result of faulty balls or clubs, not to mention the shaft factor. Too stiff or weak, maybe too short and grips, don't get me started on grip issues....

Do you remember that duff I had at Patriot's Point where I hit PJ's brand new Chromesoft into the water like 50 yards in front of us? Looking back, I bet that ball had an off-center core :laughing:

Think about it like this. How many new golf balls have you in in your life? And of those, how many did something so strange while in flight that you said to yourself "hmm, that's odd. That ball flew funny." that's how much of an effect it has on your game.

For those wondering what type of impact this would have on performance, apparently that ball was one of the ones used during their ball test which in theory could have contributed to the chrome soft performing so poorly from a distance and dispersion perspective in their robotic test.

So...rather than use multiple golf balls to establish whether they got a questionable ball in their "definitive" golf ball test, they went with one, which they then cut open, determined that it was plainly an aberrational golf ball...and decided to run with it?

Huh.

ecda4860be9d15805d389d0571af8fcb.jpg

They (MGS) owe me a ball...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you remember that duff I had at Patriot's Point where I hit PJ's brand new Chromesoft into the water like 50 yards in front of us? Looking back, I bet that ball had an off-center core :laughing:

Think about it like this. How many new golf balls have you in in your life? And of those, how many did something so strange while in flight that you said to yourself "hmm, that's odd. That ball flew funny." that's how much of an effect it has on your game.

well of course. But again with my inconsistency in ball striking, that is happening very few times. I have my opinion on the matter and it may be slightly skewed, but in general, a ball off center is not going to hurt me that much. I play for fun, and a possible bad shot from a ball being off won't traumatize me haha. Ive never been to chicopee (spelling), but now that I have seen a competitor process in the nearby area, I would love to in order to form better opinions/views of what I have learned. Not to bash either OEM or point out their mistakes (lets face it, I still don't know what the hell I am doing compared to them in terms of most things haha), but to appreciate the different processes.

I'm gonna go home and hack up all the balls I have in the shag bag. If I remember where I put the shag bag that is.

So...rather than use multiple golf balls to establish whether they got a questionable ball in their "definitive" golf ball test, they went with one, which they then cut open, determined that it was plainly an aberrational golf ball...and decided to run with it?

Huh.

I still have a hard time believing that it was the very first ball they cut open. What are the odds? Just so happens that the one place that seems to have an axe to grind, cut open one ball and it is by far the worst of all of the others that have been posted? Doesn't take away from the fact that it was indeed way off.

Huh.

From what I gathered they did not just use 1, they used at least a dozen (they mentioned the ball was from a box of dozen used during testing), and as far as I can tell they cut this ball open recently (well after publication of test results, which you would think they would do before releasing results of a test and not after).

I still have a hard time believing that it was the very first ball they cut open. What are the odds? Just so happens that the one place that seems to have an axe to grind, cut open one ball and it is by far the worst of all of the others that have been posted? Doesn't take away from the fact that it was indeed way off.

I know they have kind of called out Callaway a bit this year but I wouldn’t say they have an axe to grind haha. They’re still testing their equipment and their equipment still performs amazingly. Sure golfspy might take a little offense at Callaway not participant voluntarily but I’m sure they don’t hold a grudge ? Maybe I’m being too optimistic haha

I know they have kind of called out Callaway a bit this year but I wouldn’t say they have an axe to grind haha. They’re still testing their equipment and their equipment still performs amazingly. Sure golfspy might take a little offense at Callaway not participant voluntarily but I’m sure they don’t hold a grudge ? Maybe I’m being too optimistic haha

Way too optimistic.

BTW on your other trip were you able to see the whole process from start to finish on one run of balls or just parts?

From what I gathered they did not just use 1, they used at least a dozen (they mentioned the ball was from a box of dozen used during testing), and as far as I can tell they cut this ball open recently (well after publication of test results, which you would think they would do before releasing results of a test and not after).

Wasn't they who commented on the post when asked how many they said, "Less than 2"?

Costco ball. Not off by much..if any. But, that's only 1. If I cut 1000...who knows?!
IMG_0263.jpgIMG_0264.jpg

STOP THE PRESSES!!!!

You mean I can blame my bad shots on a golf ball being crooked instead of my amateur and imperfect swing! YES!!

Nah, on second thought I'll take responsibility for my swing faults and blame my swing and continue to know that reputable companies don't wake up in the morning and think how can we screw millions of customers by shortcutting manufacturing processes and potentially ruining a reputation that may ultimately destroy a business.

Way too optimistic.

BTW on your other trip were you able to see the whole process from start to finish on one run of balls or just parts?

The whole process. It was eye opening to see all the processes.

Wasn't they who commented on the post when asked how many they said, "Less than 2"?

I believe that was how many balls cut, not how many used during their ball test.

Way too optimistic.

Oh wait I might have misunderstood. Do you meet did I see every step of the manufacturing process or did I literally see like one batch start as raw material all the way until it was painted and stamped, etc?

We followed one batch for a bit but of course after a certain point and when it can continue is a bit of time and we couldn’t sit there that long. We did see every single step though a ball goes through. The most amazing part was the machinery that did the cores and covers. Fun to see

I asked the question, they answered less than 2. Can only assume that means 1 was cut. Isn’t the theme of the whole thing “Find it, cut it” if thats the case they should only be cutting balls they find on the course not on the shelves in stores.
Either way I have no concern and continue to play the Callaway product. I’ve had nothing but success so far this year and like has been mentioned more than once.
All manufacturing has tolerances. Do some slip by the QC. Yes. Impossible to be 100% in any manufacturing process. If they hit 98% its awesome. Which means 2000 out of every 100K balls could be off. I’m sure all target a higher % but is it attainable in reality?

I believe that was how many balls cut, not how many used during their ball test.

My bad. Didn't read back far enough through the quotes to realize it was about their ball test.

Continue on.

And now they have a YouTube video on the topic and are doubling down in their claims and saying this is a widely known issue for Callaway balls (centering cores) and that it's been an issue in many previous ball releases of theirs. I didn't make it through much of the video as they are annoying and it seemed like a slam piece without presenting and new evidence aside from a chromesoft core which wasn't mixed well. (might be more evidence given after I shut the video of)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I asked the question, they answered less than 2. Can only assume that means 1 was cut. Isn’t the theme of the whole thing “Find it, cut it” if thats the case they should only be cutting balls they find on the course not on the shelves in stores.
Either way I have no concern and continue to play the Callaway product. I’ve had nothing but success so far this year and like has been mentioned more than once.
All manufacturing has tolerances. Do some slip by the QC. Yes. Impossible to be 100% in any manufacturing process. If they hit 98% its awesome. Which means 2000 out of every 100K balls could be off. I’m sure all target a higher % but is it attainable in reality?

I was just answering a question about number of balls tested not the number they cut.

I’ve had success with Callaway balls as well (my PB this year was with a Chrome Soft truvis) and understand manufacturing tolerances and will still play the Chrome Soft even after seeing a picture like that.

I guess the caddies who spend time before a tournament spinning balls aren't totally wrong. If they found 1 defect that could cost their pro a few shots, that could be 1 million bucks, or more, potentially.

From appearances, I'd say the relationship is "strained". But in fairness to them, Callaway woods and hybrids have done well in their testing and they don't seem to have a problem publishing that.

I'm guessing what might have happened is they cut open one CS, saw it and decided to do one of everyone else. Might not be a big sample, but it's the same for everyone, but I don't think anyone (even them) are claiming it's an exhaustive test.

My point was that they cut open "less than 2" golf balls to find one with a badly off-center core. Further, it was a golf ball used in testing wherein the Chrome Soft underperformed relative to balls at a similar price point. It seems specious to me that the person who took the photos in the OP led the viewer to understand that he was simply playing a random Chrome Soft and then cutting it open if it was in fact a Chrome Soft that he and his organization had already performed extensive testing on. To me it continued a tendency towards suppressing context that undermines any point they were attempting to make.

Last edited:
How much concern should this cause..?

I will save the rest of the cutting to others and to our staff writers when they are here because I just cut a few balls and they were all perfect. Taylormade, Callaway, Wilson, Titleist and Mizuno.

I stand by our comment from a year ago that all companies can get better at quality control, but I’m not going to put much thought into any company as we continue to test and find fantastic products across the board.

4f8cffa220a62e807bf1ff659cbd4675.jpg

989ee9e2688ff42e15f47abfdb2a975d.jpg

Back