How much concern should this cause..?

PKorf

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
0-10
Yesterday a member of twitter (who shall remain nameless) cut open a Golf ball. Literally right in half......this is what he found.
0493026fee1d2d844c06c0f7f67103e0.jpg
3d0b6298f5408e8d7da9d0b7fd0ddfc2.jpg

(I don’t feel it’s appropriate to link the tweet to this but I will say that he mentioned it was a Callaway Chromesoft Golf ball

I’m not saying this is an epidemic but it is certainly a problem of quality control for the consumer. Is this the “tip of the iceberg” as he says it might be?

Curious what everyone else’s thoughts or concerns are? Let’s discuss..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was a one off quality control issue. What we don't see is the dozens of balls he did cut that were fine.

Golf Ball Guts guy said some Callaways are a little off but he has seen nothing like this. He has cut thousands upon thousands of balls as he sells them as markers so I'll take his opinion on this ball stuff more often than not.

Although this is disheartening, its kinda like buying a car and worrying about it being a lemon as you drive it off the lot. Anytime you mass produce anything, there's a margin of quality loss.

The cynic in me wonders how many balls he cut in half before he found this one...

I don't see a reason to be concerned. As others stated above, how many did they cut to find this one? Did they pick a random dozen off a shelf from DSG and do the cuts? I looked at the Twitter link, they did what they wanted and created likes and clicks for there on benefit.

I thought that might be the new "Ball For All Swing Speeds" model. Fast guys hit it on one side, slow guys hit it on the other. Or maybe one side fights a slice, the other side fights a hook? So many possibilities!

Every single one of these companies has an X-ray process that every ball goes through to pick this stuff up. Either their xrays aren’t picking it up or it’s a larger issue.

I thought that might be the new "Ball For All Swing Speeds" model. Fast guys hit it on one side, slow guys hit it on the other. Or maybe one side fights a slice, the other side fights a hook? So many possibilities!

Haha pretty sure it’s their dual core chromesoft

Saw the tweet and then several other's who cut open other's that looked just fine. So did they cherry pick the one that was off and not report the other 11? 24? 36? Not much else was said other than *GASP*

Said he only cut into two balls sooooooo.....

it’s called a tolerance for a reason. it doesn’t give me any concern whatsoever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Saw the tweet and then several other's who cut open other's that looked just fine. So did they cherry pick the one that was off and not report the other 11? 24? 36? Not much else was said other than *GASP*

Even if they cut into 10-20-30-100 balls. That’s a huge problem regardless of the number.

This is why I only play DTC brands. You just cannot trust the name brand market.:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

I'm sure it's a very isolated incident and not an epidemic for Callaway or any manufacturer for that matter.

Their answer to how many were cut was "Less than 2", but they don't answer any of the other questions like, "did you cut into others to see if it was an issue?"

Suspect at best.

MyGolfSpy is Voldemort?

I'm sure this is just a random error. I'm sure it happens everywhere and is probably a little more common than they would admit but you wouldn't be able to tell unless you cut it open, which isn't something I'm going to do.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Probably an older model made overseas. Might be one of the reasons Callaway has moved all of their manufacturing and assembly to the U.S. For the CS and ERC balls. Finley mentioned something about all of the manufacturing being in the states now in the thread about chromesofts being made overseas.

It’s a non issue and from a source who has an ax to grind for whatever reason. I discount anything they say based on severa posts they’ve made in the past.

The beauty of this game is there are plenty of options for you to play what you are comfortable with.

I wonder if a ball with a core that off center would do funny things in the air? I would have to think so right? So you toss it and play another. I don't see this a big issue. I see this as someone who has a grudge against Callaway and is trying to start crap on twitter. I am 1000% sure Callaway has protocols in place for this type of error but some slip through the cracks. I for one am not going to buy a dozen and cut them open just to find out.

This is an exceptional example of signal and noise... and why you shouldn't throw everything out the window because one unit of one product has a manufacturing defect. If true, and the picture seems to suggest it is, there is no reason to sound the alarms or cause mass chaos as the author of the tweet implied.

I look at the source, and that pretty much tells me everything I need to know.

Said he only cut into two balls sooooooo.....

actually he response was "less than 2" so either he got extremely lucky and found a true QC issue on his first try or his number is wrong.

I’m only playing Devi’s advocate here in my stance. But, even if it were a one off occurrence and isn’t an epidemic. It’s still very problematic. Any quality control issue should find that and dedicated it. If they know about it and push product out anyways, it’s bad. If they don’t know about it and now have a QC issue to deal with it’s worse. At least in my mind.....I’m sure there are variances in QC. If their are they shouldn’t be that drastic and that off center. That golf ball simply has zero chance to fly straight. Zero.

It’s a non issue and from a source who has an ax to grind for whatever reason. I discount anything they say based on severa posts they’ve made in the past.

The beauty of this game is there are plenty of options for you to play what you are comfortable with.

Ax to grind or not, it’s still was there, in a box to be played by a golfer out on a course.

Anyone willing to cut up their own to prove/disprove this on a small scale?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I’m only playing Devi’s advocate here in my stance. But, even if it were a one off occurrence and isn’t an epidemic. It’s still very problematic. Any quality control issue should find that and dedicated it. If they know about it and push product out anyways, it’s bad. If they don’t know about it and now have a QC issue to deal with it’s worse. At least in my mind.....I’m sure there are variances in QC. If their are they shouldn’t be that drastic and that off center. That golf ball simply has zero chance to fly straight. Zero.

Don't find it odd that there's zero context to the picture and comes from a place who has called out the company who produced the ball for various reasons, such as not participating in their "studies"?

This is an exceptional example of signal and noise... and why you shouldn't throw everything out the window because one unit of one product has a manufacturing defect. If true, and the picture seems to suggest it is, there is no reason to sound the alarms or cause mass chaos as the author of the tweet implied.

Completely agree. But it does make one wonder about all the other OEM QC processes and variances. Pretty sure we will see everyone cutting open balls now lol

Back