Fly With Me - Tomcat's Trek to the Grandaddy 2019

Enjoy it! Sounds like I will be the time of your life... separately, as a frequent flier for work, thank you for your day to day job and making sure all us crazies get where we are going safely

Played in a tennis tourney today. We won our doubles division. Good cardio workout when you’re 47 and it’s 90+ degrees. (I'm in the orange shirt)

6afd455301a101a292f121e19b99674f.jpg

f444b86cb7ee850cfd56e7e7c8697bba.jpg

2461b615afa17a10101c201f5d98cae1.jpg

Last edited:
In trying to add something a little different to this thread (golf related items will still be posted here too), I'm going to start a weekly segment about me, called......

Tomcat's possibly not-so interesting non-golf fun fact of the week:

Week 1: While I won't ever identify as a band nerd, I was in the drumline for the Spirit of Oklahoma State Cowboy Marching Band.

In trying to add something a little different to this thread (golf related items will still be posted here too), I'm going to start a weekly segment about me, called......

Week 1: While I won't ever identify as a band nerd, I was in the drumline for the Spirit of Oklahoma State Cowboy Marching Band.

Pretty sure that means your a band nerd. . I was one too.

Are you sure you don’t want to convince everyone on the zoo crew you’re a fighter pilot? You had quite the following because of it during the sweep.

That’s actually really cool. My wife just graduated with her masters from OSU. Went to Stillwater for graduation in May!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s actually really cool. My wife just graduated with her masters from OSU. Went to Stillwater for graduation in May!

Go Pokes!

Looking forward to following along. After meeting you at the MC a few years back, I already know how cool of a guy you are, and I can't wait to share your journey. Good luck along the way!

Thanks, Peter. I appreciate the kind words.

The not so interesting facts idea is great! And by the way Southwest hands down is the best i never have an issue with them!

Good luck on your journey. It will be fun to follow along until December.

BTW I believe in that philosophy as well ... too bad more companies don't.

Yesterday, I made my first post-announcement trip to the range. It's amazing, having that sitting on the horizon, how much more focused one can be.

Started off with just some time warming up, then spent the next 30 mins just with a couple of wedges working around the flag that was sitting at 85 yards. Overall it was good to get out with a renewed sense of purpose and begin to really get things in order. After that, moved over to the practice green and spent another 30 mins before heading home.

I had previously taken some lessons from a local pro a couple of years ago, so I'll be hooking back up with him soon.

I’ve primarily played mallet style putters. Have had a couple of blades but feel like a mallet fits me better. Played a year with the Works Versa 7, and have been with the EXO Indy since last year.

The Indy drew me in initially due to the looks. It’s also possible that I see it as a fighter jet shape instead of the car. ;)

Looking forward to seeing what Odyssey comes up with in the mallet department.

dd26137cb7e68311baf870a314f2ec75.jpg

Yesterday, I made my first post-announcement trip to the range. It's amazing, having that sitting on the horizon, how much more focused one can be.

Started off with just some time warming up, then spent the next 30 mins just with a couple of wedges working around the flag that was sitting at 85 yards. Overall it was good to get out with a renewed sense of purpose and begin to really get things in order. After that, moved over to the practice green and spent another 30 mins before heading home.

I had previously taken some lessons from a local pro a couple of years ago, so I'll be hooking back up with him soon.

I can only imagine what it feels like knowing that every practice session or round you play from now on - is leading up the freaking Grandaddy. Looking forward to following along and hoping that I can maybe join you. Fingers crossed - but enjoy the ride, man. I'm truly happy for every member that gets to experience this.

I’ve primarily played mallet style putters. Have had a couple of blades but feel like a mallet fits me better. Played a year with the Works Versa 7, and have been with the EXO Indy since last year.

The Indy drew me in initially due to the looks. It’s also possible that I see it as a fighter jet shape instead of the car. ;)

Looking forward to seeing what Odyssey comes up with in the mallet department.

dd26137cb7e68311baf870a314f2ec75.jpg

Keep working with that flat stick. Making putts drives your opponent mad in match play.

With HS tennis tryouts finally arriving this week for my two oldest, I should be able to get some of my free time back and spend more time with clubs in my hands instead of rackets.

That being said....it's time for.....

Week 2: I earned my Eagle Scout badge my soph year in HS

With HS tennis tryouts finally arriving this week for my two oldest, I should be able to get some of my free time back and spend more time with clubs in my hands instead of rackets.

The first sport I committed to getting really good at was tennis, so I love the tennis talk. :D My twin brother and I were #1 and #2 as freshmen in high school but I didn't play much beyond. Anyway, I hope the tryouts go well for your kiddos.

Nothing wrong with tennis. I wish I would have picked up the game earlier.

But I agree you need to get those clubs back in hand as I don’t think they carry rackets at the Performance Center.

Had the mat and Putt-Out inside so I could just experiment with ball placement. I've often struggled with consistency and figuring out the different variables that may help. I know that at the Odyssey event, ball placement was a big component, so am looking to see what I can change to gain more consistent roll off the putter. Obviously, being a flat surface is no the same as a live green, it was good to see it rolling straighter by moving the ball slightly forward in my stance.

Week 3: Mayo has no business being anywhere near me, unless it's masked in something good like Cane's sauce

Hey Spencer good info in the first post. I was not aware that you have so many THP events under your belt.

Today I was finally able to get out and actually play some golf. It's been awhile since I've had the time to do more than hit balls on the range or practice putting, so this was certainly nice. I only had available time for 9, so was just hoping that I could focus on making good decisions with my shot selection and come away feeling decent with how I played, since it had been awhile. I'm a max cap player, so consistency with the short game could help be drop some strokes.

The range was closed until after our tee time, so no warm up. Started off with a triple, followed by 5 bogeys, another triple, bogey, and closed with a par on a par 5. A personal best 48.

Overall, I was very happy with how things went today. I'd love to cut down the 19 putts, but overall felt that with the exception of a couple of holes, I was putting well. I went back through the Odyssey Experience thread recently to read up on recommendations that the participants were given by Sean and Luke. So, I've moved the ball forward a bit in my stance and I'm hovering my putter behind the ball just shortly before my back swing. Both items seemed to make for a smoother stroke.

Looking forward to getting out again and see if I can duplicate it. :)

Tomcat's possibly not-so interesting non-golf fun fact of the week:​​​​​​

​​​​​​Week 1: While I won't ever identify as a band nerd, I was in the drumline for the Spirit of Oklahoma State Cowboy Marching Band.
Week 3: Mayo has no business being anywhere near me, unless it's masked in something good like Cane's sauce
Week 4: I grew up in a small town in OK, it didn't even have a stop light. Just 35 people in my grad class.

Last edited:
While it probably doesn't seem like much to most, but my first HC revision that went down. It's at 33.2. Certainly looking forward to continue to improve and see that drop as well.

Keep up the hard work tomcat

tomcat;n8896710 said:
While it probably doesn't seem like much to most, but my first HC revision that went down. It's at 33.2. Certainly looking forward to continue to improve and see that drop as well.

so awesome! what part of your game do you feel has improved enough to lead to the drop? what steps are you taking to continue dropping?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think it's two fold.

First, previously when I would hit the ball (primarily iron shots), I had it in my head that I needed to swing as hard as possible. Because I don't play every week, I knew I was way behind others in how far I could hit it. So, I had convinced myself that I needed to "keep up". Of course, you can easily see how that's not a good strategy. So, when the Grandaddy became reality and I had to sit down and figure out the best course of action, this "strategy" was like a light bulb going off, in how stupid it was. So, when I step up to the ball, I think about how I need to just focus on a proper stoke and not worry about distance.

Second, being more deliberate with my putter and ball placement. After addressing the ball, I lift the putter up just a bit and my stroke feels more smooth. Moved the ball forward just a bit, which seems to fit my arc better.

As far as the moving forward portion, I plan to continue to focus on these two items as the majority of extra strokes I typically see on the card are after I've sprayed one off the side of the fairway and when on the green.

Back