Beginner seeks advice - First golf clubs

LaJoG

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi all,

I'm almost afraid to ask this question, as with many forums I assume the typical "beginner" questions accrues regularly, but I'm still gone give it a try, as you all seem very nice.

I'm 29 from Germany and started the great game of golf about 2 month ago by taking my first lessons and getting my "golf license".
Afterwards I got pretty hocked and try to play 2-3 times a week or more if time lets me.
As part of the beginner membership in my club they give you a few used clubs as rentals. In my case a i7 Cobra S2 Max, i9 & SW Silverline TC-41 (also a Utility Wood 24° which I don't really use) and of course a putter.
With those three irons and putter I play around a 125, with the i7 being my favorite, which I hit around 130 yards.

Generally I'm happy with all that, but of course with all those shiny clubs around, I can't help but question myself if some good second hand irons would improve my game and help me get better.
On the other side I keep hearing to wait before buying new clubs, to prevent spending money twice, since in one year from now I might need something different.
Therefore I would like to hear from your experience and seek for your advice.
Would you just get some cheaper second hand clubs now to have a bit more variety or wait longer?
Also I'm currently sticking to Irons since I was told to stay away from Hybrids and Drivers, since they might worsen my swing.
Is that good advice?

Looking forward to any feedback.

Welcome to THP!

I generally suggest to people to buy used clubs before dumping a bunch of money into something they may not like after playing awhile. And, it's true that your needs may change after playing for awhile and improving.

What exactly is a "golf license?"

And, welcome to golf.

Welcome to the forum!

I have to echo what was said, a solid set of used clubs you can call your own is a great place to start. PLENTY of time to spend a pile of money on something brand new and shiny once you start honing your skill.

What exactly is a "golf license?"

Proof of handicap to play

Welcome to THP. Like you LaJoG I am a beginner as well. After using my fathers hand me downs for a couple rounds, I invested in a low price range used set of Callaway golf clubs. As my game improves(hopefully) with more playing I am sure I will likely step up to a better set, but until then I don't see the need to spend a ton of money on clubs that will get used and likely abused while learning and getting swing in to shape.

Most of all to do is to have fun when on the course. :)

Thank you all for the warm welcome and the clarification regarding the proof of handicap. Wasn't sure of the name in english. :)

So as you all suggest I should maybe pick up some second hand clubs just to play around. How did you go about finding the right clubs, as here I won't have a chance to test them before hand.
Did you just pick some based on reviews and availability?
Would you agree with whats been adviced to me regarding Hybrids and Driver?

As a fellow beginner, don't be afraid to go to a golf shop around you and hit some of the used clubs they have in their stores. They may not be "fit" for you but it's always great to get an idea of what a club feels like prior to dropping some money on them.

I went this route, hit about 3-4 different brands/types and got a great set for around $200. Don't be afraid to hit multiple varieties/brands and don't be afraid to take your time.

Welcome to THP!

Welcome. I hear what you are saying, don't invest in clubs until you get better. But, I would suggest the Cleveland Golf Launcher HB Irons. These are easier to hit and golf will be more fun. There are some similar iron sets like Tour Edge Hot Launch. I am not familiar with their performance. Good Luck, enjoy the journey!

An older set of Ping G irons G20, G5, even the old Ping eye 2’s would be perfect for a beginner, you can find them at a really good price.

An older set of Ping G irons G20, G5, even the old Ping eye 2’s would be perfect for a beginner, you can find them at a really good price.

Ditto!

Not 100%, no. You may find you prefer hybrids to long irons, many do, and if you find one you click with, it could well be a really versatile club for you - tee, rough, around the green, longer approaches.

I still don't carry / can't hit a Driver, but I'd be lost without my hybrids.

An older Cleveland Mashie or Cobra F7 with their railed soles will be worthwhile and cheap experiments.

I would definitely encourage you to try out a hybrid or two (maybe a 3H and 5H). Most less experienced golfers find them much easier to hit than long irons and much easier than fairway woods. Basically you can hit them with the same swing you are using on your irons and that will give you a club for 2nd or 3rd shots on longer holes.

Welcome to THP!

Definitely look for used clubs. Some smart people in the industry have said publicly that woods within a 5 year window are reasonably close technologically to the newest releases. That number is even bigger for irons. So you can get modern or near comparable technology at a fraction of the cost when you buy used. Also, as a practical matter, you will want different clubs again, probably not too long after you make this purchase and your game develops.

The advice to stay away from driver, woods and hybrids relates to the fact they are physically longer and therefore harder to hit. In time you should absolutely look for hybrids. By nature of their design (more mass, weight back, bigger sole) they are 100% easier to hit for 99% of people than the corollary iron. Keep this in mind when you shop for irons now. There are diminishing return starting with maybe the 5i, definitely 4i. Unless you are among the skilled few don't buy a 3i. Hybrids will be your friend in all those spots.

Thank you all for the warm welcome and the clarification regarding the proof of handicap. Wasn't sure of the name in english. :)

So as you all suggest I should maybe pick up some second hand clubs just to play around. How did you go about finding the right clubs, as here I won't have a chance to test them before hand.
Did you just pick some based on reviews and availability?
Generally look for clubs that offer the most forgiveness that you like looking down at.

If at all possible try to demo the clubs before you purchase them. For unknown reasons we often can't optimally hit otherwise perfectly great products. There's only one way to know.

Welcome to THP!

Definitely look for used clubs. Some smart people in the industry have said publicly that woods within a 5 year window are reasonably close technologically to the newest releases. That number is even bigger for irons. So you can get modern or near comparable technology at a fraction of the cost when you buy used. Also, as a practical matter, you will want different clubs again, probably not too long after you make this purchase and your game develops.

The advice to stay away from driver, woods and hybrids relates to the fact they are physically longer and therefore harder to hit. In time you should absolutely look for hybrids. By nature of their design (more mass, weight back, bigger sole) they are 100% easier to hit for 99% of people than the corollary iron. Keep this in mind when you shop for irons now. There are diminishing return starting with maybe the 5i, definitely 4i. Unless you are among the skilled few don't buy a 3i. Hybrids will be your friend in all those spots.

This is super advice!

Welcome to golf and THP!
Starting out is difficult, and you have gotten to the beginner stage. 125 isn't too bad for someone who's only been playing 2 months or so and hitting a 7 iron 130 is decent. Lessons would obviously be helpful, but play for fun a couple more months. getting a set of used clubs sounds like a good idea, because first, they would be yours, second matched irons (6-sw) would help you in consistency. Maybe add a 5 hybrid (sounds a lot like the 24* utility wood you have) to get some more distance off the tee. As you get more experience (and maybe some lessons) you could add a used driver and fairway wood to your set. After a year or two you can see about a better set of clubs (new, even), but that is not a rush item.
Good luck with your game, and hopefully get some enjoyment out of playing.

:welcome:

I agree with the other posters. You should be able to find a nice set of game improvement or super game improvement irons a couple years old for fairly cheap to get you started. I am not sure about Germany but there are tons of used sets to be found here in the states in about any sporting goods store, ebay, facebook trader pages, craigslist, etc. As far as hybrids go, swing it just like you do an iron. Some people love them and some hate them. Some love them one day and hate them the next haha. I personally can't see not starting to learn to play a driver and fairway wood. Yes they are longer and lower lofted and that makes them more difficult to hit but you might be one of those guys who just takes to them too. Definitely keep taking lessons to improve. If you found a pro you like then visit them regularly to get drills to work on to improve your game.

First of all again thank you for all this great advice and experience you all are sharing. For a newby this is extremely helpful.

As far as hybrids go, swing it just like you do an iron. Some people love them and some hate them. Some love them one day and hate them the next haha. I personally can't see not starting to learn to play a driver and fairway wood. Yes they are longer and lower lofted and that makes them more difficult to hit but you might be one of those guys who just takes to them too. Definitely keep taking lessons to improve. If you found a pro you like then visit them regularly to get drills to work on to improve your game.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for all the encouragement regarding the Hybrids.
Think I should definitely try them out more on the range and once I feel comfortable on the course as well.
Just not sure if the one I currently have is the best solution as I'm usually all over the place when I hit it and only occasionally get the ball to do what I wanted to. :D

I will try to see what kind of used clubs they have in my shop, however I know the selection is pretty limited.
Generally here it is mostly ebay, hence it's a bit difficult to try the clubs. But the shop also has a set of new Cobra F8 and TaylorMade M-CGB which also can be found used only. So I might try them there first. Also someone on here recommended to try the F8 in the OL version which they also offer.
Also a pretty interesting concept which might help as a beginner, just will be difficult to move away from, once I would get used to it.

Two weeks from now I took a week off and plan to spend as much time on the course and with the pro as possible.
If possible I'll try to find a set of clubs before that. :)

Thanks again for all the cool feedback and tips.

Ping....... That’s all I have to say bout this!
A set of G15’s can prob be had for $150-$200 US
Nuf Ced

So yesterday I went to my local store and as predicted they had a very small number of used irons and no complete set.
The sales guy suggested I try out the entry models(Callawy XR, Mizuno JPX-900 and couple of Wilsons) which were all between 400€-600€.
I ended up leaving empty handed and with the conclusion that I probably have to buy a used set of irons online.
Now of course there is a small possibility, since I can't test them, that I won't like what ever I choose. But since I can always resell them, I'm willing to take that small risk.

So after doing some more research I found the following offers:
COBRA FLY-Z, 5-SW, Steel Shaft
Ping G30 (Black Dot), 5-SW, Steel Shaft
Ping G25 (Black Dot), 6-9 & Utility Wedge & PW, Graphit Shaft
Taylormade Speed Blade, 5-SW, Graphit Shaft

All with regular flex, all between 150€ for the Cobras and 225€ for the G25.

Now I noticed there were quite a few people recommanding the Ping irons, but still wanted to hear your opinion with this selection at hand.
Also regarding the dot color, is it correct to start with black as it's apparently the most standard one? I'm 185cm/6,0ft.
Any suggestions, again, are highly appreciated.

Last edited:
So yesterday I went to my local store and as predicted they had a very small number of used irons and no complete set.
The sales guy suggested I try out the entry models(Callawy XR, Mizuno JPX-900 and couple of Wilsons) which were all between 400€-600€.
I ended up leaving empty handed and with the conclusion that I probably have to buy a used set of irons online.
Now of course there is a small possibility, since I can't test them, that I won't like what ever I choose. But since I can always resell them, I'm willing to take that small risk.

So after doing some more research I found the following offers:
COBRA FLY-Z, 5-SW, Steel Shaft
Ping G30 (Black Dot), 5-SW, Steel Shaft
Ping G25 (Black Dot), 6-9 & Utility Wedge & PW, Graphit Shaft
Taylormade Speed Blade, 5-SW, Graphit Shaft

All with regular flex, all between 150€ for the Cobras and 225€ for the G25.

Now I noticed there were quite a few people recommanding the Ping irons, but still wanted to hear your opinion with this selection at hand.
Also regarding the dot color, is it correct to start with black as it's apparently the most standard one? I'm 185cm/6,0ft.
Any suggestions, again, are highly appreciated.
How old are you? Any physical ailments? What’s your swing speed?

I would lean toward the Pings or the TM Speed Bladez. I’m simply not familiar with the Fly Zs. The others are all solid clubs for a newer player - reasonable distance and forgiveness from a credible manufacturer. I think it maybe comes down to shafts. Since you can’t hit them in advance it’s a bit of a crapshoot. Have you ever played graphite shafts before? I’m a big fan, but like anything else the details matter...which shafts are they? The good news is you have good options available to you. And for what it’s worth I would definitely be perfectly happy starting with those used irons over the new ones available to you at the shop.

What is a “golf license”
I believe it’s a card that proves you’ve met some local regulations and rules around skill level and rules knowledge. They don’t just let anyone just go out and play. Gotta prove you are worthy.

How old are you? Any physical ailments? What’s your swing speed?

I would lean toward the Pings or the TM Speed Bladez. I’m simply not familiar with the Fly Zs. The others are all solid clubs for a newer player - reasonable distance and forgiveness from a credible manufacturer. I think it maybe comes down to shafts. Since you can’t hit them in advance it’s a bit of a crapshoot. Have you ever played graphite shafts before? I’m a big fan, but like anything else the details matter...which shafts are they? The good news is you have good options available to you. And for what it’s worth I would definitely be perfectly happy starting with those used irons over the new ones available to you at the shop.

I'm 29, without any physical ailments. My current swing speed is between 80mph to 90mph, but I notice I'm slowly increasing as I get more comfortable. Currently I have graphite shafts, but also like the feel of steel shafts.
I think I will go with the G30 as the seller made a really good offer and from what I read online I will have a pretty solid set of clubs.
Regarding the shaft I will just see how it feels. If needed I can always switch them, but even with that in mind it's a good deal.

All left to do now is look for a decent Hybrid 3 and a Putter. As the store had plenty of used Hybrids, I will give them a second chance next week.
Any recommendations what to look for when testing a Putter? I always feel a bit lost testing them, as I'm not sure what to look for.

What is a “golf license”

I believe it’s a card that proves you’ve met some local regulations and rules around skill level and rules knowledge. They don’t just let anyone just go out and play. Gotta prove you are worthy.

In germany you need a "golf license/permit" to play on most courses. The license is given out by your home club which allows you to play on their own course and start having an official handicap.
With this you are allowed to play on most courses, however some clubs still require a certain handicap if you are a guest.
You get the license by having classes (in my case three weekends) and a theoretical and practical test at the end.
They don't care if you play well, but rather look at if you know the rules, be able to move around the course at a decent pace and most important play without putting other people in danger.

Back