Cobra F9 family review

golfdawg

Reaction score
Handicap
These two months, I bought all in on the Cobra F9 family, I picked up the irons, 3 wood and Driver. I have had very little time with them all, maybe 3 range sessions and one round of golf. I know this is not a lot, but I have been golfing for about 17-18 years and I know when things either work for me, or don’t. My views below are based on a charity golf tournament this past Wednesday . Was a scramble, and we only had 3 players, so more often than not I was taking most of the extras turns because both players with me are in their 50’s and it was 100 degrees out.

DRIVER – It was a mixed bag, but that is in part to my swing, but in the first round of golf I put it into play I had 4 drives which I would say gave me quality distance of 250-260. Still have some things to tweak, but as my swing improved through the round, I was fairly happy with my missed shots 200+ and in play. I need to get an extra weight in the 8-10 gram department I think, because head feels light after changing out the Arcoss grip and cutting the Atmos by ½ inch. Flight was mid-high draws, a little more draw than I like but time will tell how I can work on that.

IRONS – well I had to send first set I ordered back, they had Recoil 110 F4, and for the life of me I could not get them to work for me, felt dead, and just not a right fit. Second set I got with the Nippon Modus 3 105 Stiff, with standard grips and -1/4 an inch to play close to standard length through most of the set. These irons are VERY forgiving, and I think with time I will gain 5-10 yards over my 565s, but for now I think it’s the forgiveness that helped me most. They held the line, and retained distances better than my 565s on poorly hit shots. I found my iron swing much like my driver swing on the back 9 (don’t we all) and I finally started falling in love with these irons and very much look forward to taking that swing I found on the back 9 and working it on the range to get it ingrained. I saw distance gains on at least 3 swings (first example) 9 iron flew about 145 and came back 2-3 feet 4 feet from pin, thing is I playing to land 10 yards short of the pin because hazard right off the back (second example) After that 9 iron distance I had 170 to a tucked back left pin, water left , steep drop off the back, 7 iron drew in just right, stop hop, 2-3 ft roll out to 12 feet right of the pin (third example) Par 5, after we all hit bad drives, we had one ball in play 350 yards out, other guys hit, worm burners, I had two shots, topped my 4 wood, then went back to the bag and pulled 5 iron, hit what I felt was a very average shot, kind of a weak draw, and ended up 130 out in fairway, that saved the hole for us. So needless to say I am excited to see what a few months with these will give me. Flight with these is a nice strong mid-high flight, that seem to have some quality spin but don’t balloon in the least.

3 WOOD – This was the biggest surprise of the day, it almost did not make the trip considering how badly I hit it on the range past few weeks, but I decided to give all the F9 clubs their due. First swing was a top out of the fairway, second a BIG pull OB off the tee, third a pop up that flew about 170 high right. Well after I shorted my driver swing on the back 9 and was hitting it a lot most consistent I applied that to the 3 wood, well next 4 swings were very, very good. First two were off the tee and gave me a strong mid flight with a baby draw and about 230-240 total. Last two swings where on 18, par 5 steady up hill about 500ish , I hit a quality drive, and had 239 to the pin lasered with slope, first swing felt pure but went just left of the green towards a sand trap, I lined up the second shot little more right and made same swing, and it was the best 3 wood I have hit from the fairway in a LONG time, mid-high strong flight, right at the pin. Well first shot carried through the bunker and was 2-3 feet off the green pin high, second shot was 5 feet short and about 15 right of the pin (missed the eagle putt). I wanted to play another 18 even though it was 100+ and I am sure lost 4-5 lbs through sweat.

Irons and 3 wood I can see really changing my game going forward, Driver I think can be an assist if I can get that swing weight up a hair, but all in all the F9 family is a winner, I know this is nothing new, but this is my view of it. Sidenote: just ordered the F9 5 wood

We look forward to additional updates.

guess it's time to change that WITB signature

Back