Harry Arnett leaving Callaway

Absolutely great post - wishing HA the best with that is next and I’m sad I won’t have a round of golf with him.

I had coffee with Rhiona Sullivan (many of you know her. She and I used to work together at Callaway) this morning and as we were chatting, she told me how nice the THP thread was about my departure from Callaway. She told me she had heard about the thread from her mom, who lurks after meeting so many THP people at the Granddaddy years ago. Is that the most Callaway-THP thing ever? So she sent me the link and I decided to check it out.

First of all, thank you all for the kindness and well wishes. It's no secret you all have a special place in my heart as well as in all of the hearts of our marketing group.

For those of you speculating why I'm leaving, the truth isn't nearly as newsworthy as some have said. No, I'm not going to another golf company. I already had a pretty important job at the best golf company in the industry. No, I was not asked to leave by investors (our business has essentially doubled since I've been CMO, our brand rating shows we are on the top of the industry after being a distant fourth or fifth when I started at Callaway, and our market shares continue to grow in virtually every category. So any investor asking me to leave is kind of silly, to be perfectly honest).

It has been an incredible run at Callaway. I have been fortunate to have worked under the leadership, mentorship, and personal friendship of the very best CEO in golf, Chip Brewer. He is also, more importantly, an incredible human being. I have also had the fortune of working side by side with some of the best humans on the planet--people who are not only incredibly dedicated, passionate, and talented, but care as much about others as they do themselves. That has made the last 7 years not only professionally rewarding, but more importantly, personally fulfilling.

I haven't said this publicly, but two years I was diagnosed with a fairly serious, genetic medical condition (thanks, Dad!). Over the last 24+ months I have struggled to get it under control and get back to feeling 100%. I am now. Better than ever, actually. And that really had me start thinking about what I really wanted to dedicate my life doing for as long as I'm vertical.

In short, I really just started to feel that God put me on this planet for something different. Something else. And though Ive had a blast and loved what I have been doing, I knew deep down I would regret not trying to align my talents, passion, ambition, and purpose more fully in a much more integrated way.

So that's why I decided to leave. I'm not running from anything or moving away from Callaway. I'm going towards something. Something that ultimately will be more important to my becoming the best version of myself and to reach my full potential. Even as I get close to..ahem..50, I know the journey of personal development is the most important journey of all. I'm not trying to be intentionally vague, but the concreteness of what that is has changed significantly even over the past few months. And changed in such magnificently wonderful ways I almost cant believe its happening to me. And I can't wait to share once it's finalized. But it's something on my own, with people I love, doing work I love. And it's not golf related (I will become a golf civilian, starting on 9/1, so maybe I need to become a member of the forum!).

One thing you all have right is that remaining at Callaway is an incredible group of people dedicated to doing their jobs well and continuing to make golf fun and exciting for golfers everywhere. To that end, I know with certainty that the best for Callaway is in front of it, just like I know the best for me is most certainly yet to come.

Thank you all for the incredible support and friendship over the past 7 years. You all know JB and I are good friends. He's got a massive heart and always tries to do what's best for the people on this site. That also won't change and I'm looking forward to seeing you all somewhere down the line, either in person or on the internet. No, that's not weird!

I wish you nothing but the best sir, and I am pleased to hear your medical issues are no more

Good luck with whatever you are heading towards, and like others, I am only sad that I won't get the chance to tee it up with you at an event some day (unless you come along as a THP member :D)

I had coffee with Rhiona Sullivan (many of you know her. She and I used to work together at Callaway) this morning and as we were chatting, she told me how nice the THP thread was about my departure from Callaway. She told me she had heard about the thread from her mom, who lurks after meeting so many THP people at the Granddaddy years ago. Is that the most Callaway-THP thing ever? So she sent me the link and I decided to check it out.

First of all, thank you all for the kindness and well wishes. It's no secret you all have a special place in my heart as well as in all of the hearts of our marketing group.

For those of you speculating why I'm leaving, the truth isn't nearly as newsworthy as some have said. No, I'm not going to another golf company. I already had a pretty important job at the best golf company in the industry. No, I was not asked to leave by investors (our business has essentially doubled since I've been CMO, our brand rating shows we are on the top of the industry after being a distant fourth or fifth when I started at Callaway, and our market shares continue to grow in virtually every category. So any investor asking me to leave is kind of silly, to be perfectly honest).

It has been an incredible run at Callaway. I have been fortunate to have worked under the leadership, mentorship, and personal friendship of the very best CEO in golf, Chip Brewer. He is also, more importantly, an incredible human being. I have also had the fortune of working side by side with some of the best humans on the planet--people who are not only incredibly dedicated, passionate, and talented, but care as much about others as they do themselves. That has made the last 7 years not only professionally rewarding, but more importantly, personally fulfilling.

I haven't said this publicly, but two years I was diagnosed with a fairly serious, genetic medical condition (thanks, Dad!). Over the last 24+ months I have struggled to get it under control and get back to feeling 100%. I am now. Better than ever, actually. And that really had me start thinking about what I really wanted to dedicate my life doing for as long as I'm vertical.

In short, I really just started to feel that God put me on this planet for something different. Something else. And though Ive had a blast and loved what I have been doing, I knew deep down I would regret not trying to align my talents, passion, ambition, and purpose more fully in a much more integrated way.

So that's why I decided to leave. I'm not running from anything or moving away from Callaway. I'm going towards something. Something that ultimately will be more important to my becoming the best version of myself and to reach my full potential. Even as I get close to..ahem..50, I know the journey of personal development is the most important journey of all. I'm not trying to be intentionally vague, but the concreteness of what that is has changed significantly even over the past few months. And changed in such magnificently wonderful ways I almost cant believe its happening to me. And I can't wait to share once it's finalized. But it's something on my own, with people I love, doing work I love. And it's not golf related (I will become a golf civilian, starting on 9/1, so maybe I need to become a member of the forum!).

One thing you all have right is that remaining at Callaway is an incredible group of people dedicated to doing their jobs well and continuing to make golf fun and exciting for golfers everywhere. To that end, I know with certainty that the best for Callaway is in front of it, just like I know the best for me is most certainly yet to come.

Thank you all for the incredible support and friendship over the past 7 years. You all know JB and I are good friends. He's got a massive heart and always tries to do what's best for the people on this site. That also won't change and I'm looking forward to seeing you all somewhere down the line, either in person or on the internet. No, that's not weird!

Harry, like everyone else I wish you the best in your future endeavors, and I’m glad I got to see firsthand the work you and the zoo crew have done. I know you’ll be missed at callaway and wherever you end up I’m sure you’ll do great things.

Thanks for everything you’ve done for THP and the members here. (FYI there are still some spots open on this year’s Grandaddy team. )

Harry, like everyone else I wish you the best in your future endeavors, and I’m glad I got to see firsthand the work you and the zoo crew have done. I know you’ll be missed at callaway and wherever you end up I’m sure you’ll do great things.

Thanks for everything you’ve done for THP and the members here. (FYI there are still some spots open on this year’s Grandaddy team. )

That would be tremendous. “With our next selection, we would like to announce Harry Arnett”. If you think he is in Hashtag Chad’s head now...

That would be tremendous. “With our next selection, we would like to announce Harry Arnett”. If you think he is in Hashtag Chad’s head now...

I’d love to hear the trash talk in a Finley vs Harry match.

This is the kind of post I’ll end up taking life lessons from. Thanks Harry, for everything. I’ve had some absolutely incredible experiences and met some very good friends through the THP-Callaway connection. Glad you’re feeling better, and hope to see you around!

Absolutely riveting post by Harry. Thank you for taking the time to let us all know you are doing well and that the sun is not setting on Harry Arnett! Good luck on your next adventure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

giphy.gif

I really enjoyed reading this and and want to thank you not only for the incredible opportunities that Callaway provided to this forum under your leadership, but to thank you for being so a great guy. We all enjoy your social media post and you make us all feel like we are a part of your life in someway. I wish nothing by happiness and success in this new path in life. God bless you and your family!!

that was impressively inspirational. thank you for sharing and for being such an important part of this community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Pure class. I wish you a long, happy, and healthy life Mr. Arnett and that you achieve all the goals you’ set for yourself, I have a feeling you will.

We've never met or exchanged words but your open and heartfelt words only solidify your reputation here. It's great to hear your passion for your upcoming journey and I wish you success and peace. Do great things!

i know this is all hypothetical, but let's say we do get a chop-job and the company we have come to know and love changes in a way that many of us deem to be worse. who will fill that void? callaway's lifestyle brand mentality is, to me, unrivaled by anyone else. no one is as cool. no one is as innovative. no one is as eager to connect with the everyday golfer. i personally see that as a huge loss if - and it's a big IF - the fears are realized.

IF (and that’s a big IF) they fall off and allow another OEM to capture some one the momentum they’ve built with not only THPers, but golfers overall, I see Cobra/Puma positioned to step in and engage on the level we’ve seen from Callaway.

A lot of takeaways from that post, Mr Arnett. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. Biggest thing is that you are healthy and able to pursue new avenues. Best of luck going forward!

Not sure if you're the kind of person that takes a second off, but in the next month, please take a step back and appreciate all that Callaway has accomplished under your leadership. Astonishing turnaround.

IF (and that’s a big IF) they fall off and allow another OEM to capture some one the momentum they’ve built with not only THPers, but golfers overall, I see Cobra/Puma positioned to step in and engage on the level we’ve seen from Callaway.

that’s a good call. they certainly have the innovation part down, and i think they are high in the “cool” factor. only thing i could see holding them back is budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you for everything that you’ve done, Harry. Your leadership has been an admirable one and I’m sure it must be immensely satisfying knowing you’re leaving Callaway, and the industry at large, better than you found it.

It sounds like you are lining up something truly special for your next endeavor, and I’m sure I speak for everyone here when I wish you great success, however it is that may be measured.

I know the members of this year’s Grandaddy team were really looking forward to spending some time with you, but I’m sure your presence and good will will be felt. Or, like others have said, you could always try grabbing one of the final spots!

My favorite artist sang in a song, “And while I’m alive, I’ll make tiny changes to Earth.” I think those are great words to live by and I hope you continue to make those changes.

Cheers and thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for writing this and sharing something so personal with us!! While I love golf it is ultimately a hobby for all of us and seeing someone as talented, thoughtful, and hardworking as you say I am going to do something more important with my life makes me feel better about humanity in general. I will be praying for the impact you can make on the rest of the world!!!

Thanks for everything you and the team have accomplished at Callaway for golf and beyond. You and Callaway have earned a fan for life.

The message of grace in your post, Harry, is beautiful, powerful and wonderfully stated. I hope we will be able to follow along as you begin your new journey. I believe your example will inspire many here to do more.

Godspeed.

Harry thank you so much for taking a few minutes and sharing with us a little bit of insight surrounding the news. I guess in life we strive to leave this place a little better than we found it and you have certainly have done that will Callaway as well as with everyone you have worked with at Callaway.

Thank you for being a such a vital part of the THP family.

I am so happy that your feeling better and wish you nothing but joy and happiness in your future endeavors that I cant wait to hear about.

Don’t be a stranger around here Harry and hopefully in the near future you will be playing as much golf as John Kim lol

Great post by Mr. Arnett and I wish him nothing but the best. I think Callaway will be fine personally, but change always brings a little bit of doubt.

I'm glad to hear he's doing well and I hope he joins gets involved with the forum from time to time.

Great comments HA. Thanks for all you did for THP and Callaway.

What a great post Harry. I’m so happy you found a higher calling and something to continue to be passionate about. That’s truly special, and I wish you the best of luck on the next part of your journey. I know you will continue to change lives.

Like others have said, there are some spots left on this year’s Grandaddy team :) Or if it comes back, next year’s captain!! :)

That was a fantastic post. I wish you nothing but the best in your new endeavor Harry and if you're even half as successful as you were with Callaway it will be a force to be reckoned with.

It got a little dusty in my cubicle while reading Harry's post. Follow your passion and what you were destined to do.
From what we've all seen, you're going to something absolutely incredible in whatever path you have decided to take.

I'm glad you got your health back and it's given you a fresh perspective on life.

Back