Mr Boof

Reaction score
Handicap
G'day THP'ers! I'm after your insight as to what wedges to get and how many. If you were in the following situation, what would you purchase?

I currently have the following wedges and am a bit unhappy with gapping and how to use so looking to replace 1 or 2:
50 degree Cobra Tour Trusty with Nippon 120S to match my irons. Enjoy full swings with this and also don't mind chipping around the green
56/12 degree Cobra Tour Trusty with DG S400. Mainly used for bunkers and feel shots around the green.
60/08 degree Cobra Tour Trusty with DG S400. only used for flops, eggs in bunkers, need to hack out of thickish rough.

I find that the gap between the 50 and 56 is too much. It's around 25 metres (27 yards). The 60, I don't really use for full swings very often if at all. More touch shots.

So, my thought was as follows but was unsure of bounce options and brand (I play in fairly soft conditions although I am not a big divot taker). Would you go:
54/12 to replace the 56? I'd also consider putting the same Nippon shaft in this or
54/08 to replace the 56? I'd also consider putting the same Nippon shaft in this

Would you keep the 60 or go to a 58? Would that be determined if you chose the mid bounce or high bounce option in the 54?

The next question would then be, what brand? I've had no issues with the Cobra's, really like the look of the RTX4's, don't like the look of the Ping Glides or the Hi Toe/PM grind wedges. What would you do THP'ers? I need your help!

P.S. I would prefer black wedges this time round. Found the sun glares too much off silver!

Curious, what dont you like about the glide wedges? Behind the ball, they look about as clean and simple as you can get.

You play in softer conditions, so bounce will be your friend, but then you dont take much divot, so the “standard” sole grinds are prob the way you want to go.

So many nice wedges available, you prob cant go wrong. I think the key for you is to get smaller gaps in your lofts (50, 54 and 58 maybe?) andyo get the right wedge shaft. Nippons modus 125 shaft is very nice in wedges and not quite as heavy as S400.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Btw, just my opinion of course, but i dont like black wedges for one simple reason....the leading edge of the club gets more difficult to see behind the ball when it gets down into the grass. I like to see the club face so I can aim a bit more easily.
Perhaps consider some raw wedges or just some with a very satin finish.

I have the chrome taylormade MG wedges (which are fantastic wedges) but ohhhhh boy do they glare if the sun is in the wrong spot.

I personally like a high toed wedge for my lob wedge. I dont hit full shots very often with it so this really works well around the green and especially out of sand traps to pop the ball up in the air. The Hi-Toe by TaylorMade is great, but you can also try the PM grind from Callaway or the Eye2 from Ping.

I like a traditional sand wedge. I use a Vokey. It's good for chipping, pitching, and full shots.

For a Gap wedge it really comes down to personal preference and IMO there are a lot of options. You can do a more traditional wedge with a grind or loft you like or you can get the set gap wedge that matches your irons. For a while I even did something a little different than those 2 I got a PW from a set of blades that had a higher loft than my GI irons PW and a more blade like head. This was great for filling that gap and hitting full shots into greens. It was also really good for pitching.

I got a PW from a set of blades that had a higher loft than my GI irons PW and a more blade like head.
Not a bad thought. However I play Srixon 965's in the scoring irons, so my irons are blades from 8 onwards.

I've sat the PM grind and the Hi-Toe down and I just can't get to like the look or feel comfortable with them. Maybe I just need to hit a few and see what the results are as after all, if it works, why WOULDN'T you use it?

Why not just have the 56 bent 2* strong?

Why not just have the 56 bent 2* strong?
Id rather go to the sane shaft in my irons. If a shaft change and bend will cost around 120 why not just get a new wedge?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Id rather go to the sane shaft in my irons. If a shaft change and bend will cost around 120 why not just get a new wedge?

I can totally dig/respect that.

Plus, new shiny is always a win!

I’d err on the side of the higher bounce option, in that spot of the bag, bounce is your friend.

I think the Black RTX 4’s will fit in perfectly with your Srixon irons. They come stock with the S400’s. You will love them.

JMan, would you go 54/58 or just go 54 and keep the 60? I'm almost thinking that just a 54 would work as I don't full swing the 60 ever.

Totally agree on the bounce for that spot if I use that as my bunker club. however, if I went 54/58, could always go higher bounce on the 58 and use that instead? So many options :(

They come stock with the S400’s. You will love them.

I actually don't LIKE the S400 shafts. That's a big reason I want to get rid of the 56, as I don't feel as though I can control the club for full swings.

Wedge Choices

JMan, would you go 54/58 or just go 54 and keep the 60? I'm almost thinking that just a 54 would work as I don't full swing the 60 ever.

Totally agree on the bounce for that spot if I use that as my bunker club. however, if I went 54/58, could always go higher bounce on the 58 and use that instead? So many options :(

I switched to 54 and 58 about 4 years ago and wish I would have done it earlier.

When i played with a 60 i used it like you do and it felt like a wasted spot in the bag but with the 58 I have a club that I still don’t full swing but I like it up to 85 yds while still having the versatility to open it way up as needed.

I use the 54 like the 56 I used to play and haven’t noticed a big difference with those 2 degrees as I rarely use it for full swings.

I actually don't LIKE the S400 shafts. That's a big reason I want to get rid of the 56, as I don't feel as though I can control the club for full swings.

Ahh, got it. You can order with other shafts from Srixon.

It's sounding 54 and 58 is a decent option. Whats people's preferences for manufacturer?

I’m a little different than some of the comments you will get and have gotten here. I’m not part of the ‘constant loft gap’ army.

I play 47, 53, 60. I never full swing my 60, so staying 60 gives me more versatility than a 58 does.

60 gives me more versatility than a 58 does.

So what is it that a 60 does for you that a 58 can't? I take it's not a distance thing?

The 2 degrees for me going from 56 to 54 is so i can play to a distance.

I'm curious as you play to a much better handicap than i do!

So what is it that a 60 does for you that a 58 can't? I take it's not a distance thing?

The 2 degrees for me going from 56 to 54 is so i can play to a distance.

I'm curious as you play to a much better handicap than i do!

Height.

Since it’s a partial and touch shot only club, I want the most playable loft I can put into that spot.

I know personally if I was you I would keep the current set up and add a 53 degree wedge, giving you 50-53-56-60. If you have a 25 yard gap between two clubs, it means you need to stick another one in there, so just do that! Don’t worry about the loft. If your full swing on your 50 carries 115 yards, and your full swing on 56 carries 90, then go get fit for a wedge that carries 100-105 on average, regardless of what number is on it! That might be anything from a 52 to a 54 degree club, might be any length any manufacturer, but it doesn’t matter. Remember you’re trying to fill gaps, and in my opinion having tight and explicitly known gaps in your clubs under 150 yards is critical to everyone’s game.

I’d err on the side of the higher bounce option, in that spot of the bag, bounce is your friend.

How about Cobra’s WideLow offering in that slot?

Thanks all for your replies.

If you had to choose one of the below manufacturers who would you choose and why?
Callaway
Cleveland
Cobra
Taylor Made
Titleist

Note this is for a non high toe style wedge preferably in black.

Cheers.

If you had to choose one of the below manufacturers who would you choose and why?
Callaway
Cleveland
Cobra
Taylor Made
Titleist

Cheers.

IMO I think the Cleveland rtx4's are the best wedge out right now. I'm able to play any shot from every lie.. tight lie, soft, bunkers. Lots of spin!!!... Plenty of bounce and sole options. I played vokeys for years and finally realized I was paying for the name and not performance.

They have a black finish also, although I love my raw version

Callaway
Cleveland
Cobra
Taylor Made
Titleist

Cheers.

I’ve owned/played all of those and I’d rank them:

Cleveland
Taylormade
Titleist
Cobra
Callaway

Personally I go 46* PW to 50* AW to 54*SW to 58* LW. The gapping there is usually pretty good as long as I do my part.

I've made up my mind to go 54 and 58 in the RTX4. Thought that'd be the case but multiple comments suggest the RTX4.

Now to decide on bounce options!

If I'm going to use the 54 for full shots so was thinking Full grind and fairly high bounce for bunker shots.

Local shop rep was suggesting full grind but low bounce for the 58. Having not had great experience from these guys previously what are your thoughts on full grind low bounce on a 58degree wedge?

Back