How Much Do You Know About your Clubs?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you a golfer that wants to know about the tech in clubs? Or thinks they want to know but in reality, not really? Or don’t care as long as they look good and perform?

Something else? Where do you fit?

I prefer to know some about what I'm buying. I buy based on results AND desire but am aware of lofts and shafts and such.

I also know my clubs hate me. My scores prove it.

Tech all the way. Gotta know the science of what makes the club better than the earlier generation. Something to convince me to take my $$

I'm an engineer, I want the tech reason why something I'm buying is better.

I have decent knowledge about my clubs. Did lots of research before I bought them. In reality I just want them to perform.

I want to know about the gear in my bag, why it works for me, or why it maybe doesn't. If it is a club I have interest in putting in the bag, or trying out, I want to know about it.

Hearing about all the new tech is really neat, but can be information overload at times, depending on what all gets released when.

I want to know most of the information about my clubs, but not everything. I don’t always care exactly how much weight was moved from the crown to the sole, but knowing that’s why it performs better is good enough.

I like to know everything about them, but it's not going to keep me from playing them if they look good and perform the way I want.

I like to know what the specs are (length, loft, lie) look at any significant changes from previous sets and adjust accordingly but that's about as far as I dive really.

I have decent knowledge about my clubs. Did lots of research before I bought them. In reality I just want them to perform.

I want to know most of the information about my clubs, but not everything. I don’t always care exactly how much weight was moved from the crown to the sole, but knowing that’s why it performs better is good enough.

My answer is the combo of these two posts.....

Are you a golfer that wants to know about the tech in clubs? Or thinks they want to know but in reality, not really? Or don’t care as long as they look good and perform?

I only know the basic/obvious tech information, usually due to the brand advertising same. For example, my set of G700 irons was advertised by Ping as having a hollow head design, so that much I knew.
If Cleveland introduces new clubs and names them "High Launch" or advertises high launch, then I'll expect the clubs to launch easily, but I won't bother to try and learn what the tech is which produces the high launch.

I like this thread idea. I most definitely know a lot about my clubs and quite a bit about other clubs that I have never even held in my hands. Until I joined THP I was part of the group that does not concern themselves with why a club works as long as it does the job. My short irons have a lightweight titanium core that allows the heavier steel to be positioned around the perimeter of the face to alter the CG and provide forgiveness. My long irons are hollow body construction with a heavy tungsten insert molded in to get the ball airborne easier. I could write pages about the V-sole alone.

I love golf clubs and the tech involved. I have been a mechanic my whole life so its just natural that I have to know how things work and how to fix them. I am a great mechanic, I guess you could call me a shadetree club nerd. :act-up:

I really want to know everything that is going on with my clubs and I think I know a lot but I’m super happy to admit that I have a ton to learn. That’s what makes this whole thing a blast

The tech in clubs is fun and I like to know all about it and how it benefits me.

I really want to know everything that is going on in my club.

Partly the reason I ordered a Maltby iron head to try out, as my current old school irons have ZERO info online.

It's interesting to a degree. I'm all about Trackman/Launch Monitor Data to see the real/raw results but what was put into a club is important. Jailbreak, SpeedFoam, Urethane Microspheres, where Tungsten is placed as a result of CG, carbon fiber TEC.

It's all interesting. A lot of it is in the delivery of who is portraying the information. Keep it simple and I'll be tuned in. Start to talk like Bryson and I might tune out haha.

I want to understand it all so when something does work for me i can develop an understanding of why. I'm also a professional scientist....so geeking out comes naturally.

I enjoy learning about all golf products. That's how I found THP!

I am, and always have been, a bit of a tech geek, so I will research quite a bit before buying new gear (and not just golf). The thing is, I'll sometimes go with something that isn't the latest-greatest, or highest tech option, if it works better for ME.

I like to know about the tech and why the club works the way it does.

I love to learn as much about equipment and its underlying technology as possible. I even read the patents sometimes.

i definitely want to know, because i like to tell other people about this stuff in my bag.

Or don’t care as long as they look good and perform?

I could not even tell you what mine look like. I know they are either M5 or M6 and the driver, 3w and 3h are whatever they aren't...I THINK the big sticks are m5, everything else M6 but it might be the opposite, but I don't know what brand they are, I think they are game improvement or super game improvement but not sure which.

But I LOVE the way they perform. I can, on occasion, draw the ball, I get great distance off them, and the problems I encounter are all the gunner, not the gun. Great clubs and I don't care who made them, what they look like. I just care how they perform. Tested several, these were the ones that felt and performed best.

I only want to know the general performance of a club as it pertains to me and my swing. (low spin, high spin, forgiveness, launch, etc). Anymore than that and you’ve probably lost me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know what my swing weights are. I do know the shaft flex and what my irons were bent to long ago (surely that has changed by now). If they perform, I'm good with them.

Back