How Much Do You Know About your Clubs?

I want to know when something feels good or terrible so I can understand why. Everything thing else falls in the 'I can make it work' category. And I'm interesting in at least trying anything that supposedly reduces spin so I can see if its BS or not, and theorize why it does/doesn't work. I mean, I've been gaming 13 year old irons this year that don't suit me at all, just because they're there and I can make them work. I'm only now switching to some that fit me better. I don't use manufacturer head covers, so if you want to know what I'm teeing you have to ask. I like to know about it and try things, but in the end I'd rather work on my game.

I understand the technology employed and why but don’t buy based solely on it. I buy based on performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love learning about the tech and trying it and seeing what may or may not benefit my game.

I like to know the story behind the tech in my clubs.

I like the tech part. I enjoy understanding what the designers are trying to help me accomplish given my basic lack of talent!

I always enjoy learning about all the new gear that comes out whether it goes in my bag or not. I don’t have many fitting options so making informed decisions is my best bet.

I want to know all the details about everything I buy whether it's golf clubs, skis, a TV, or the 22 Lutron Caseta dimmers and smart bridge I just bought to install for our condo remodel. My brain remembers countless worthless details like exact cc head volumes of different fairway woods I own, model numbers of audio gear that I sold when working at Best Buy 30 years ago, or my fathers SSN that I last needed for a college loan application in 1984. Exactly why I can't remember where my car key or billfold is!

I probably know more than I need to given my handicap, which tends to be my way with a lot of things. If I don't improve, I certainly won't be able to blame it on equipment that's not well thought out. The problems lie not with the bag.

Oh, a smidge.

How Much Do You Know About your Clubs?

I want to know...but dont have near the knowledge of most around here...Hence the reason I hang around and ask questions.

I like a good tech story. I like to know how the forgiveness and distance claims are being backed up.

I don’t care at all. I think most things referred to as “tech” are really just marketing gimmicks.

I give a quick perusal of the tech but it'll only serve to maybe inspire my reading reviews as to how it's actually, reportedly, performing.

Case in point my G400 Max driver. Read a while back, pre G410 release, that it had an industry leading MOI.

Cool!

Don't at all care how that high MOI was realized, have zero idea about what the internals may even look like. Tried it, it works. MOI, muy bueno.

Same for irons, read about the CF16 cup face tech in the 7-iron thru longer irons. Interesting. But I only bought them (from Shakey) because the Steelfiber i95 shafts piqued my interest.

The rest? Yup, all good. Cup-face probably works because I can jump on my 7, 6 & 5-iron for some great distance that exceeds comparative gains for the 8-iron on similar harder swings.

My PM wedges? Oooo, BIG face, long lines, I'll check you out in all your splendid fugliness! But as to any notes explaining proposed tech and their benefits to me? Charlie Brown's teacher in my ear... just let me try it already.

As to my Directed Force putter, tech claims had then, and still have, zero impact upon me. I just happened to roll a few off a random playing partner's putter, liked it, and eventually grabbed one for myself.

All this said, I'm 100% percent behind the research and striving for technological advancements. While not being willing to delve into learning their specifics, I've sure enjoyed their effect.

I'm just way more the driver than the mechanic, ya know?

Days of Thunder!!!

I can tell you what shafts are in my clubs, I can tell you that my irons are 1 inch longer and 2 degrees upright from the Srixon standard specs, but beyond that I don't tend to delve into the tech like some people

As long as they perform better than what I was previously playing in that spot in the bag then I am happy to go with it

I think I know more about the clubs I’ve got in the bag right now than any other set I’ve had, and that’s how I like it to be. Love learning about the tech side.

I like to know a little and pay attention to the new releases.

But when it comes to buying I'll go for whatever feels best even if it's a few years behind the latest tech.

I think it's interesting. But I no longer make purchases based on any of the tech.

If anything, the dizzying array of offerings and combinations of heads and shafts has made me a strong believer in fitting.

I'll go with the data---even if I don't love what it suggests.

I was recently fit into Apex standards and an Epic driver.

I wouldn't have gravitated toward either but went with the data. Bought the recommended shafts too. HC dropped a couple strokes as a result.

The geek in me loves learning and understanding the technology---but the pragmatist will buy what the fitting data indicates.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I’m not gonna lie...almost all the equipment in my bag was purchased straight off the rack and because it was a great deal. I did a very nominal amount of research on my irons and 3wood before buying, but primarily they were bought based on price. I’ve fit my game to my equipment not the other way around. I realize I may be losing a few shots each round because of this but I can’t justify the cost of new equipment or being fit for “perfect” clubs to make up a few missed shots.

That being said, I love equipment review sites and enjoy learning about new tech. I suppose that’s one of the reasons I’m here.

I know what brand they are. Thats it

I know enough to get by and not buy something that is a total miss for me anymore. I’ve learned this the hard way and try not to go down that path anymore. I am easily influenced by marketing, so I have to keep myself in check and realize that a lot of these products are not a fit for me.

Well I just got this new loft/lie machine and lemme tell ya: had no idea how upright my higher-lofted clubs were.

I'd say somewhere on the tech knowledge side of the middle. I find the engineering that goes into clubs fascinating and fully believe in fitting, but at the end of the day on course performance and 'feel' is king.

I enjoy learning about the tech and having conversations with my buddies about it. Clubs with more tech will definitely get me to try them quicker and can sometimes give me more confidence when I'm playing them. They still have to perform for my swing though.

I am huge on information so before I buy anything I know almost everything about it. That's why I love this message board.

How much do I know? Not enough. How much do I want to know? Everything. I love the tech. I love tinkering - but I know I'd like to understand loft and lie angle better. I always listed - but I have to admit a lot of it goes over my head or doesn't sink in because I don't use it every day. Really I just need to get fit - and I think a lot more of the understand will come after that.

Back