How Much Do You Know About your Clubs?

I know more about my current set of clubs than I ever have but it’s all specs and set up with very little info on the technology.

I guess that’s a start

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much do I know about my clubs? Not enough. Although I have been playing golf for more than 45 years, I really know very little about the technology. And I know very little about shafts and spin. That said, I would like to know much more. I have always valued performance over technology. However, since I have become more involved here, my desire to learn more about the technology has increased.

I know all there is to know aside from exact head weights, exact shaft weights, and exact grip/ferrule weights BUT I know all the approximate numbers. I know basically all there is to know. Length lie lofts swing weights flex carry distance, etc. I’m a nerd though and I’m addicted to golf with no money to spend so I had to learn to do all my own work.

Mechanical Engineer by trade. So my answer would be "As much as possible" - it comes with being an engineer :angel:

I have always been someone who wants to take in the information and believe I took it into consideration, but I feel like I’m learning more that I don’t care as long as they look good and perform for the most part. I am starting to take in more about swing weights recently, but as for the tech itself...as long as it works and does what’s intended, that’s good enough for me. I’m finding myself caring less and less about what the companies are saying as to WHY it works. If it does it then great, that’s all I need.

I'm a nerd when it comes to the newest golf tech and where the industry is going with club development. Despite much of the information going right over my head, I am glued to the forum during events where we get to learn about club R&D and how they suit certain players over others (and why).

When it comes to my own game, I'm borderline fanatic with my clubs and understanding what best fits me. I'm familiar with my own clubs from the grip down to the head and have tested out multiple lies, lengths, weights, and stiffness over the last couple of years. I wish I were as knowledgeable as some of the other guys on THP but it's been a lot of fun piecing together information bit by bit about how equipment is made through research and the forum.

Years ago I would have taken the "dumb jock" approach to new clubs and just "athlete" my way through a pretty new set of sticks. But, with today's accessibility to launch monitor data and adjustable clubs during fitting, I like to know exactly what I should be playing to optimize my game. As the years pass I can't rely just on athleticism anymore to hit a golf ball. From a fitting standpoint, I say give me the technology!

I'm a techie, so I would like to know whats in them and why that technology will make a difference to me from my existing set

I am one of those that wants to know as much as possible. Plus, I like to read many reviews on the clubs, especially like the videos before I make a purchase.

I am the same way with virtually everything I buy.

I always dive into the tech of whatever I'm interested in. I might not be good at golf, but I'll know everything about my dang clubs.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I enjoy a good tech story. And I need to know what my club is designed to do. Definitely feel like the education here has been a big help when looking to upgrade.

I was educated on my clubs right at Cleveland golf. They explained all the tech and V sole very clearly. Thank you again THP and Cleveland!

I just read about the Launcher HBs on here and tried them.

Everyone on here was right.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Generally, I don't care much about what's going on in the clubs as long as they work for me. Every now and then something will catch my attention, but usually that isn't the case. I do care about what's going on in golf balls a bit more.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I want to know all the details about everything I buy whether it's golf clubs, skis, a TV, or the 22 Lutron Caseta dimmers and smart bridge I just bought to install for our condo remodel. My brain remembers countless worthless details like exact cc head volumes of different fairway woods I own, model numbers of audio gear that I sold when working at Best Buy 30 years ago, or my fathers SSN that I last needed for a college loan application in 1984. Exactly why I can't remember where my car key or billfold is!

This is so much like me. I always say God felt sorry that He had to give me a slow CPU, so He upgraded my RAM.

Like so many other techies on here, I'm really interested in the technology and how it translates into performance. The connections really started to mesh when I joined THP. The theory and knowledge here started to provide explanations as to WHY that grip change completely changed the characteristics of a club, for example. So I now l know far more details of my bag than I did three years ago, because I have a better understanding of how those details translate to the course. I'm not to the tinkering point - yet - but that may happen when I have more time on my hands. Right now, it's a struggle to find time to golf, period.

I like to know the details of my clubs. I like to "tinker" so I find learning more about the details of why certain combinations work interesting.

Funny this pops up after the swing weight video.... I know specs of my clubs but don't always know how that correlates to me and my swing. I don't know if I like a higher or lower swing weight, I just know when I swing if one feels better or not lol.

I like to know the tech info when looking into hybrids, woods and drivers.

Irons research to me is more about finding a sole shape that suits me - and feel.
I've never been fitted, but intend to do so when I finally replace these old mizuno irons I bought second hand a few years ago.

I know a lot less than I should. I haven't had my clubs checked for loft and lie. Nor were they professionally fit for me! More of word of mouth and hit or miss and THP for the shafts!

I only want to know the general performance of a club as it pertains to me and my swing. (low spin, high spin, forgiveness, launch, etc). Anymore than that and you’ve probably lost me.

This is me. I've tried to learn and have made a lot of strides the last few years with all the info that is around here, but at the same time, it very quickly goes over my head. I try to see what works for my game, but have always felt I wan't good enough to get too far in the weeds. That's started to change lately, but I still have that mind set most of the time.

This is me. I've tried to learn and have made a lot of strides the last few years with all the info that is around here, but at the same time, it very quickly goes over my head. I try to see what works for my game, but have always felt I wan't good enough to get too far in the weeds. That's started to change lately, but I still have that mind set most of the time.

Agreed. I like to think I know more than I do but then I read about some of these new clubs and half the verbiage goes right over my head. Being on THP definitely helps in learning though!

Back